Rich Folks, they're just like us (College Edition)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

notaterran
x3tc

Rich Folks, they're just like us (College Edition)

Post by notaterran » Tue, 12. Mar 19, 23:28

A slew of business executives and two high-profile actresses are among more than 40 people charged in a $25 million cheating scheme to help wealthy students to gain admission to top colleges, law enforcement officials say.
Link

It was always strange that a moron like G.W. Bush who half the time couldn't speak in complete sentences would be admitted to top universities. News like these surprise exactly no one. Any chance we'll see Donald Trump's academic records? :D
Those indicted in the investigation, dubbed "Operation Varsity Blues," allegedly paid bribes of up to $6.5 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.

"This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth combined with fraud," Andrew Lelling, the U.S. attorney for the District of Massachusetts, said at a news conference.
Link

A $6.5 million bribe? Not exactly pocket change.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

felter
xr

Re: Rich Folks, they're just like us (College Edition)

Post by felter » Wed, 13. Mar 19, 02:21

I suspect Trumps will come out one day, it may not happen till after he has died and left us but I suspoect they will eventually come out.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Wed, 13. Mar 19, 03:46

Hey just used the old excuse:

It was (name of person who was president before current one) fault.
Worked in the past and still is good for today.

and if your going to bring Bush in the fray , he attended college during Johnson's term.
Which was finishing Kennedy's term so you got to blame some President on the corruption.
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 13. Mar 19, 17:29

As has been posted, it's not like this hasn't been happening forever...

Being "rich" and "powerful" has meaning, else nobody would call it being "rich" and "powerful." Otherwise, it'd be something like "overburdened with money" and "you must construct additional pylons."

I think people aren't really concerned about the practical implications of the rich being rich and the powerful being powerful. I think they're just pointing at this "evidence" and screaming about it because it's a blatant example of what happens with rich and powerful people.

Are their kids really not getting into Princeton because they were pushed aside in favor of someone who's more rich and powerful than they? Maybe? Probably not. Their kid just might be dumb or an underachiever and the only way the could have possibly compensated for that would actually be to apply lots of money and power to the problem of admissions... like the rich and powerful people do. THAT'S what they're angry about.

It's for good reason, though, since going to one of the Ivy League or prestigious schools has very real meaning. A degree from Harvard will make someone look much more desirable in terms of skill than someone who has the very same degree from a community college. And, someone who has a degree from an "Online University" is either filling in the gaps for a necessary requirement for promotion or is immediately slush-piled in the HR office of a prospective employer.

The point eventually being that, despite the repeated assertions of many outspoken critics of higher-education, a degree in a profession or discipline does, in fact, matter.

What we need to do is figure out how to balance the acquisition and application of knowledge so that degrees from any college or university actually have equal merit when compared to the very same degrees from well-known institutions.

Until that's accomplished, no number of lawsuits or indictments are going to have any practical impact. I imagine anyone complaining about the rich and powerful finding ways to get preferential treatment for their children would be very enthusiastic about getting preferential treatment for their own children. We just have to figure out how to make preferential treatment a bit less impactful in regards to education and earning potential. We've been working on that issue for quite a long time, haven't we?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 14. Mar 19, 20:05

"I'll be you entry to Yale for £6,000,000"

"I'd rather have the money".

If that 6.5 mil goes towards funds and scholarships for others, then ...

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Fri, 15. Mar 19, 04:21

That money funded some coaches' bank accounts. They should've done it the legal way, like Jared Kushner's father:
New Jersey real estate developer Charles Kushner had pledged $2.5 million to Harvard University not long before his son Jared was admitted to the prestigious Ivy League school
Link
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Return to “Off Topic English”