Arabic history research question [solved]

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Arabic history research question [solved]

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 16. Mar 19, 16:34

Any of you fine gentlepepes know if there was an equivalent of the European traveling players in the Arabic world of the 9th to 12th centuries?

I'm trying, but I can see no reference to any in my current sources.

Not that it matters if there weren't, I'll just make them up, it's just that if they existed it would be nice to have a historical reference point to look at.

This would be for my current book, which I'm writing while my first is on submission.

No, I don't want to talk about that, I'm way too stressed about it. Just want to know if anyone can help me about the travelling players thing. I know I've not been on the forum. Something had to go. It was chatting on the internet or writing, and writing won.
Last edited by mrbadger on Tue, 19. Mar 19, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Arabic history research question

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 16. Mar 19, 19:49

There may be some keywords in this extract from an article loosely based on 'origins of Persian love-music and troubadours' that could trigger something useful to you.

"The ashiq tradition stretches back into the mists of time, with its origin somewhere amongst Turkic and/or Central Asian peoples. It has had a pervasive influence. Moving westward with the great Turkic migrations it was notable amongst Turkish and Azerbaijanis dynasties (distant, Muslim, cousins of the Uyghurs). It continues to be popular in modern Azerbaijan and Iranian Azerbaijan, and, as aşıklık, it is deemed by UNESCO to be part of Turkey’s intangible cultural heritage.

It also appeared amongst Christian peoples. As the Turks encountered the Armenians and Georgians of the Caucasus so the tradition was adopted by them. Armenian poets and minstrels from around the 16th century assumed the title of ashuq, the most famous, Sayat Nova, is Armenia’s favourite bard and is sometimes said to be the greatest ashiq of the Caucasus. Apparently the tradition also made it to Greece (ασίκης), and it is tempting to draw parallels between recurring themes in the ashiq canon and notions of courtly love that were popular amongst the bards and minstrels of Medieval Europe."
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 16. Mar 19, 21:19

Great, thanks, that's going straight into my growing pile of notes. There are indeed some useful keywords in there, great starting points for further research.

I was getting a bit bogged down. I'm following so many different paths it's getting difficult. I need to cover a lot, but at the same time I can't spend so much time on research it ends up being another form of procrastination.

Right now my daily wordcount in my manuscript is a bit pathetic, just a few hundred words. but I'm writing far more in my outline and background per week. I have the luxury of time now, I'm the only person setting deadlines.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 16. Mar 19, 23:19

Hey mrbadger.

It might also be worth looking at Al Andalus - I'm pretty sure I've read that Eleanor of Aquitaine favoured troubadours so much because she grew up with Muslim musicians visiting her father's court.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 17. Mar 19, 00:49

Just finished one book on that, The Ornament of the World, by Maria Rosa Menocal. It didn't mention anything about musicians as such, it seemed more concerned with how it affected europe over time. It was useful, and interesting, but not quite what I was after. Frankly I've got more from Youtube on the subject.

It's rather hard finding english books to research Arabic topics. I also work with a number of academics who, while it isn't their subject, know a fair bit. Not the subject of this thread though.

Al-Andalus is a goldmine of material for me.

Return to “Off Topic English”