Combating western media bias?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Combating western media bias?

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 15:47

I thought I would share something of which, to my shame, I only recently became aware.
I was shocked that I didn't already know about it, given the scale . . . . but then why would I? I have never seen it mentioned on the news and whilst there are plenty of articles out there if you go looking they're all buried in special interest subsections of their respective sites.

The persecution of Turkic (muslim) minority populations in China

This is a good article outlining the historical basis of the issue.
https://www.thenation.com/article/china ... ppression/

A little on the international response (or lack of it).
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... inas-shame

Now I knew that China had a horrible humans rights record, I knew that it wasn't above disappearing "political dissents" and the use of "political re-education camps". I kenw about Tibet.
But I did not know about this specific example targeting specific ethnic minorities (largely on the basis of faith) and I had NO idea of the scale.
I had assumed China did such things to 100's or 1000's of people. . . . . not a figure in the millions. When the person that was telling me about it said the word "million" I literally froze for a few seconds before incredulously saying "What!? No! Surely not!" I then went and looked it all up for myself.
It's nothing less than an attempt at genocide, albeit one that doesn't yet involve mass murder but if tensions escalate that could oh so easily be the next step.
It's easily comparable to Israel's actions in Gaza / Golan heights and I sure know all about those.

Any way I thought I'd share this by way of doing my own small thing to break through the blinkers our media has imposes upon us (well me at least)
If anyone has any similar things, please share!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Re: Combating western media bias?

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 17:55

It has been an open secret for sometime :(

The BBC recently did an article and a documentary:

Article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... dden_camps

Iplayer Doc - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... dden-camps

It's an insidious regime, but we keep outsourcing our manufacturing there and buying their tat - we basically endorse the regime by doing this.
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 20:13

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:
Tue, 19. Mar 19, 17:55
It has been an open secret for sometime :( ...
^-- This.

The problem is that no amount of exposure seems to move China towards stopping the practice. They're already under international pressure for "Human Rights" issues and that doesn't seem to encourage them to change certain behavior. They make statements seemingly aimed at placating immediate issues, but then don't really do much of anything to correct those issues.

And, they're a big economic powerhouse which deters many nations from enacting harsh trade sanctions against them.

So... Wat do?

The Kims have been guilty of worse atrocities against their own people and the world has done little, effectively, against DPRK for that. Sure, sanctions exist, but it hasn't had any effect on the behavior of the regime.

So... Wat do?

:(

Are we willing to go further? How about we all stop using products made in China to show our support for those that the government oppresses! Aaaand, how many of us could actually do that?

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 23:25

China has correctly observed that once a nation is powerful enough, there's not actually any functional way of enforcing international norms on them. It's easy to believe this sort of thing is consigned to history in this more enlightened age, but it's not really.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 04:04

red assassin wrote:
Tue, 19. Mar 19, 23:25
China has correctly observed that once a nation is powerful enough, there's not actually any functional way of enforcing international norms on them. It's easy to believe this sort of thing is consigned to history in this more enlightened age, but it's not really.
Power is powerful. There comes a point where a saturation point is reached when there is no way to affect change other than to step outside of the current means of negotiations.

IOW - Until you one can free oneself from the constraints that the other party has control over, there is no chance of victory or a negotiation on even terms.

There is a possibility, though - Trade sanctions do have an effect on China. They're very worried about them. But, they're worried about them coming when they are most vulnerable. And, that's when their hold is weakest, too.

Unfortunately, China often does the smart thing and steps outside the rules - They make threats. "Smart" for negotiating, I mean.Stupid for the rest of the considerations since prolonged persecution of a populace only has two final end-game solutions. The next round of trade-sanction threats or talks of "Human Rights" violations will probably end in silence as China plays around in the China Sea for a bit, floating islands and talking up its carrier, maybe sending a nasty telegram to Japan or announcing its intention to back out of the possibility of helping to negotiate resolutions with DPRK, etc, etc...

China has too many avenues to exercise advantage for any one thing to pressure them to change their internal policy over international pressures. And, they know it. Eventually, none of the groups they don't like will be able to earn enough Good Citizen points... How many minority populations have been eradicated because they failed to score high enough in a straw poll?

"Sorry, but everyone thought your hat last week was stupid. And, that brings you below the minimum necessary score to be able to possess food in China."
"But, it was just a hat!"
"Yeah, but it was a pretty ugly hat. That's a minus 50 DKP..."

Return to “Off Topic English”