Google Stadia

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: Goole Stadia

Post by fiksal » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 05:07

Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 17:09
fiksal wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 14:29
This is the *thing* I see with this as well. Depending on their pricing model, they could make this a viable thing for those who dont want to buy expensive consoles, or even more expensive PCs. From what I recall my last PC cost me 2-3k to build... now my next one might be too, but that's a lot of games to buy on the streaming service for $30 to $60 a piece (instead)....
But, aren't we getting tired of all the different platforms and distribution networks we have to put up with just to get access to a game we might want to play?
The time of having one and only one store couldnt last forever :)

Morkonan wrote:
They're not interested in selling the hardware to budget-conscious consumers because budget-conscious consumers habitually don't spend a lot of money... They want a captive audience just like any other exclusive hardware manufacturer wants. Nobody has ever made any money selling a pre-packaged budget-computer product of any sort. (That I can think of, at least.) Every console manufacturer leaves money on the table as soon as the console ships. They make their money on licensing fees and, at best, a little bit on monthly subscriber fees.
If we only talk about the price, not performance:

I think we can assume they are at least going to pick pricing model that should make them money. Now the question is how this will appear to the consumer/customer. You are right that consoles themselves are underpriced already... PS3 was, PS4 probably, dont know about XBOX.
But, it's still anywhere between $400 and $600 depending on year and model. If Stadia offers only games with no subscription, and you just have to buy their controller,... say, $50, then $350-$550 of spare money would get you even more games.

It can also potentially bring in more people who didnt or dont upgrade their PCs and consoles regularly. Lets say your buddies tell how awesome Witcher3 is. You have nothing to play it, but with Stadia for, $50-60 you can just have it on your TV in no time, dont even need to download it. (assuming you have a controller)

That's where I see they can shine over competition.

Morkonan wrote:
And, now here comes "Epic" gobbling up exclusive content to try to be a Steam-killer with half the distribution fees and hunting a catalog of "AAA" high-profile titles. What's "Google" going to do with a "budget PC-gaming'ish rig?" Not making profits on the hardware, that's for sure.

It's all 5G. It's all about upcoming 5G. The "new guys" are looking to edge that into a new "paradigm shift" to make them bajillions of monies. But, the New Guys don't have a user-base to exploit. How are they going to get it? Using the same old paradigm, of course!

<-- Cynical :)
I am curious how much the hardware will cost them and had cost them. But with Youtube, ads on youtube, ads of their own games that they sell - imagine if they add a "buy now" button to every video game ad on youtube - it's possible they are taking this into account.

They also potentially need not make a profit initially, until they get enough customers and become known or a go to shop.

As for user base. I am not sure, I think it's literally everyone plus people who dont play games often due to budget and ease of access reasons. I dont think specifically Steam user base is a loyal one. I know I am not :)

I am personally interested in how multiplayer games will shape up on Stadia.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

theeclownbroze
x4

Re: Google Stadia

Post by theeclownbroze » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 15:44

it would be very good, if there was quantum internet.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 17:47

fiksal wrote:
Tue, 26. Mar 19, 05:07
How dare you suggest that things don't last forever and that "Capitalism will find a way!" :)
If we only talk about the price, not performance:.... If Stadia offers only games with no subscription, and you just have to buy their controller,... say, $50, then $350-$550 of spare money would get you even more games.
Yeah. Right.

Remember XBox's perk of "XBOX PLAY ANYWHERES! Buy your game and play it anywhere, on your PC or your XBox with Windows 10! ZOMGZ THAT'S AWESOME!"

Except, the number of games you can actually do that with is.. paltry. And, they don't even bother to properly steward and manage that particular marketing ploy anymore. The list even on their website is incomplete. Either that or the licensing agreements that actually powered this are now not in force. :)

I get free games with my XBox Subscription service! Yay... three titles to choose from every month and two are titles I wouldn't want and the other is a 360 title that I can only get if I jump through WindowsLiveSigninHoops and go back and forth for thirty minutes trying to get the friggin thing... even if I want it.. because I don't, since it's stupid and I wouldn't play it on a bet, anyway.
..It can also potentially bring in more people who didnt or dont upgrade their PCs and consoles regularly. Lets say your buddies tell how awesome Witcher3 is. You have nothing to play it, but with Stadia for, $50-60 you can just have it on your TV in no time, dont even need to download it. (assuming you have a controller)

That's where I see they can shine over competition.
Of course, that's possible and likely the appeal of the whole thing. But, it can't be practical without 5G bandwidth and that is the limiter on their market. That is the road that must be built so they can drive this product to the market to be sold. And, a road has to be able to bring their customers to that market as well.

Later, it may be practical. But, if there's one thing I learned in business it's that if a critical part of your chain involves dependence upon a third-party that is out of your control, then your entire production chain is out of your control. (I actually learned that before then and it was the first thing I made sure didn't happen whenever it was possible to avoid.)

ie: If you make sportscars with low body clearance, you need there to be roads that allow for people to drive sportscars with low body clearance tolerances. And, if you don't also build those roads?
..I am curious how much the hardware will cost them and had cost them. But with Youtube, ads on youtube, ads of their own games that they sell - imagine if they add a "buy now" button to every video game ad on youtube - it's possible they are taking this into account.
Oh... noes. I didn't even thing about "SIGN IN TO GOOGLE BEFORE PLAYING" crap. Everything tracked, even the crap you misclicked, and now you have ten !$^$@@%Y^^%@% TONS of garbage you would never want to see ever on your Youtube "Home Page" being thrust in your face like some cat in heat offering itself to your damn foot...

"Hello New Subscriber! If you want to play games, then prepare to have your mind blown and get your info-a$$raping-marketing served up to everything and anything that we can touch. And, we really want to touch it... Touch you. A lot. In your no-no spot. Because we can!"

Screw them... Now I'm pissed. THANKS! :) :)
..I am personally interested in how multiplayer games will shape up on Stadia.
I'm sure you will discover that your mother has had more intimate relationships with more people than you could ever imagine and this will be made evidence in more languages than you even knew ever existed. Of course, there will be a hefty serving up of Youtube videos on the subject of "Your Mom" and the next time you search Google for "Heavy Equipment Operator Jobs" the first entry is going to be "Your Mom."

:)

Damn, I hate all this privacy exploitation and info-marketing garbage... I really do. It's just not friggin' "Right." Where are my "Basic Human Rights" on "Teh Interwebz?" /grumble

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 03:13

Morkonan wrote:
Tue, 26. Mar 19, 17:47
fiksal wrote:
Tue, 26. Mar 19, 05:07
How dare you suggest that things don't last forever and that "Capitalism will find a way!" :)
Sorry )
Morkonan wrote:
If we only talk about the price, not performance:.... If Stadia offers only games with no subscription, and you just have to buy their controller,... say, $50, then $350-$550 of spare money would get you even more games.
Yeah. Right.

Remember XBox's perk of "XBOX PLAY ANYWHERES! Buy your game and play it anywhere, on your PC or your XBox with Windows 10! ZOMGZ THAT'S AWESOME!"

Except, the number of games you can actually do that with is.. paltry. And, they don't even bother to properly steward and manage that particular marketing ploy anymore. The list even on their website is incomplete. Either that or the licensing agreements that actually powered this are now not in force. :)
I have to say I didnt know much about it till you posted. This isnt really the same issue, or at the very least it's an example of niche that Stadia can take over.

My point was buying games vs buying console + games.

Morkonan wrote:
I get free games with my XBox Subscription service! Yay... three titles to choose from every month and two are titles I wouldn't want and the other is a 360 title that I can only get if I jump through WindowsLiveSigninHoops and go back and forth for thirty minutes trying to get the friggin thing... even if I want it.. because I don't, since it's stupid and I wouldn't play it on a bet, anyway.
I actually thought Stadia would be subscription too, but folks think it'll be free. So if it'll be free there unlikely to be free games. Or maybe just as a small perk.

Morkonan wrote:
Of course, that's possible and likely the appeal of the whole thing. But, it can't be practical without 5G bandwidth and that is the limiter on their market. That is the road that must be built so they can drive this product to the market to be sold. And, a road has to be able to bring their customers to that market as well.
That is the meat of the issue. Can they do it without 5G? Can they do it to the cable subscribers with varying speeds?
Someone mentioned they claimed the service will run on their minimum resolution in under 30Mbps.
I've stayed away from that specific question because it's pure guess work. It'll largely depend on where their data centers will be, what games will be ok with lower speed and what speeds customers will have. It won't be a simple answer, I think.

I am too skeptical, but I am curious to see them try. So they should go for it full on, as far as I see it.
Morkonan wrote:
Oh... noes. I didn't even thing about "SIGN IN TO GOOGLE BEFORE PLAYING" crap.
Since all Google services are on Google, I'd be surprised Stadia doesn't ask for a Google account.

It's their architecture and it comes with all other infrastructure that they'll need anyways : like their payment processing, streaming content, shopping. It'd be silly to redo everything, especially eventually (meaning : immediately) customers will ask for all those other services to be integrated.

Obviously if Google ads is a personal problem, Stadia will not make it better :)
Sorry

Morkonan wrote:
..I am personally interested in how multiplayer games will shape up on Stadia.
I'm sure you will discover that your mother has had more intimate relationships with more people than you could ever imagine and this will be made evidence in more languages than you even knew ever existed. Of course, there will be a hefty serving up of Youtube videos on the subject of "Your Mom" and the next time you search Google for "Heavy Equipment Operator Jobs" the first entry is going to be "Your Mom."
I think you misunderstood what I am interested in :D

I am looking at it through a developers perspective, and the challenges that they can actually address with significantly more hardware that games run on; as well as a quite unique architecture.

Morkonan wrote:
Where are my "Basic Human Rights" on "Teh Interwebz?" /grumble
Something like the right to be invisible?

It's impossible, but you dont have to be the same person on every "network".

I for example, never integrated my Youtube account into my Google account(s). I have several unrelated to each other accounts.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 20:24

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 03:13
...I actually thought Stadia would be subscription too, but folks think it'll be free. So if it'll be free there unlikely to be free games. Or maybe just as a small perk.
What's that old maxim that "if you're getting a product for free then...?" :) Yes, I believe everyone really is out to get me/you/everybody else. :)
That is the meat of the issue. Can they do it without 5G? Can they do it to the cable subscribers with varying speeds?
Someone mentioned they claimed the service will run on their minimum resolution in under 30Mbps.
I've stayed away from that specific question because it's pure guess work. It'll largely depend on where their data centers will be, what games will be ok with lower speed and what speeds customers will have. It won't be a simple answer, I think.

I am too skeptical, but I am curious to see them try. So they should go for it full on, as far as I see it.
It's a tough subject, right now. In the U.S., it's almost as if companies are hesitant to take "the first step." There's also the whole Huawei thing. Huawei is banned now in the U.S. because of dodgy practices in conjunction with the Chinese government that could, according to U.S. Intelligence, make their devices *unsecure and accessible by the Chinese government and or actually "for" the Chinese government to exploit. etc, etc, (Strange how that word morphs in conjunction with today's culture. "insecure" wouldn't read right, since a device can't really be insecure unless it feels bad about having a mini-usb connector instead of all the standard sized USB connectors its buddies probably have...:) )

Aaaand, Amazon and Microsoft own teh interwebz and data services markets... Maybe Google wants a big chunk of the infrastructure market and wants to do all they can to support/leverage that goal?
Since all Google services are on Google, I'd be surprised Stadia doesn't ask for a Google account.
<random growling noises> :)
I think you misunderstood what I am interested in :D

I am looking at it through a developers perspective, and the challenges that they can actually address with significantly more hardware that games run on; as well as a quite unique architecture.
That's the key, isn't it? And, how will that effect development if they have to make changes to run on Google's infrastructure? Kind of weird to think about, actually.
Something like the right to be invisible?

It's impossible, but you dont have to be the same person on every "network".

I for example, never integrated my Youtube account into my Google account(s). I have several unrelated to each other accounts.
Yeah, I think most people do the same. Some go further, though. But, you can't escape your connection point. At least, not reliably. (I guess people could limit to public wifi, but that's kind of iffy, too.) There's all sorts of stuff like footprinting and profiling, etc, too and commercial services are starting to do that.

All the privacy stuff is just ancillary to the primary discussion, as you imply - It's a new sort of thing they're trying to do in a market that doesn't have a great many "new things." Consoles and fixed hardware gaming/PC devices are their own sort of animal and we expect them to "do the thing the same way they did the thing." Google is saying that they are basically selling hardware to connect to a service that will take upon itself to expand the capabilities of the "thing being done."

Theoretically, in theory with acceptable license fees, Google could allow a "single point access" for whatever you're using separate hardware for. Microsoft and Sony would, of course, never allow third-party licensing for their exclusive titles. BUT, in theory, it could be done and you wouldn't have to change your Goggle-Box over to another console in order to play it. Want to use Office to write a memo? Google-Box. Microsoft would @$^@$ itself, though, at the idea of such a thing...

IF Google-Box/whatever, just happened to get a pretty big market share, then what? Single point distribution, billing, maintenance, reporting, access for anything "computer" up-to-and-including designing a new space-shuttle from home using multi-bajillion-monies software and the hardware of a NASA orbital mechanics processing center as long as you paid the licensing fee. The conveniences of Steam with the power of whatever top-of-the-line personal computing hardware there could possibly be at any one time, as long as Google continues to expand its systems capabilities.

I'm interested in what Amazon and Microsoft have to say about this. Amazon, of course, would prefer to burn Google to the ground. Microsoft just wants to sell 'em stuff. :)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 21:10

Morkonan wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 20:24
That's the key, isn't it? And, how will that effect development if they have to make changes to run on Google's infrastructure? Kind of weird to think about, actually.
It's always like this, - a bit of mystery, as with any new platform.

Games have to be adjusted per console/platform.
Morkonan wrote:
BUT, in theory, it could be done and you wouldn't have to change your Goggle-Box over to another console in order to play it.
Also a good question. Can their cluster have consoles on it? In theory - why not. But that would depend on the manufacturers to take part in, and if they can virtualize it. I can only "guess" that their CPUs could be inside of a server.
Morkonan wrote:
Want to use Office to write a memo? Google-Box.
That sounds familiar... like Microsoft's web based Office? The one that is "free" ? :)
Morkonan wrote:
I'm interested in what Amazon and Microsoft have to say about this. Amazon, of course, would prefer to burn Google to the ground. Microsoft just wants to sell 'em stuff. :)
Well we know Amazon is cooking something up for video game industry too. In fact they've been in it already with their servers.

I dont know what Microsoft is planning.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 22:15

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 21:10
...Well we know Amazon is cooking something up for video game industry too. In fact they've been in it already with their servers.

I dont know what Microsoft is planning.
Microsoft wants to be deep in the back-end, somewhere, with their server/enterprise-envirnment software stuffs. Amazon wants to own/license all the servers. Google... Google wants everything. Or, maybe they want the pretty "Front-End" side of everything?

Google Front End
Amazon Hosting
Microsoft Enterprise Environment
IBM/VMWare/HPLimpingIn/Other/Youguysfightoverit

or..

Google Front End
Google Hosting
Google Environment
<Hardware Guys is who?>

I dunno, above my pay grade which is "Nil" in this subject. :)

You know, though - This wouldn't even be a news article if it wasn't "Google" doing it. So, that counts for something and we're left up to wondering how that's going to be leveraged. Do we think, for instance, it's just a "Google Lable" and everything in the box, including the box, is all just going to be haphazardly licensed third-party stuff? With it being "Google" we don't think so, right? They won't be licensing some "Fred's Computer Shack" homebrew crated PC, slapping a Google lable on it, then shuffling everything off to some AWS server farm to run "Jimmies UberAwesome Environment Package" so they can get their neighbor, who's a part-time "Web Developer" for some local hair salon to create a webpage that then serves up links to freeware that's all cloud-computing stuffs... Right?

Thinking out loud, but where's the "long term money" plan on this? Where's the "hook" for Google that they're going to use and who's their potential competition? We know they hate Amazon. Check. OK, no problem, they know how to run hosting stuffs/centers/own them/license them/whatever. They're just not up to scale there, I guess. Pretty close, though - ZDNET - Top Cloud Computing Providers

From the article: Rightscale - State of the Cloud

Are they trying to leverage this to support getting a much bigger bite/byte?

It may just be part of the Google/Google/Google/Fightoverit model.

Again, not my department and others here have more practical experience in this area, I'm sure.

sunitapr

Re: Google Stadia

Post by sunitapr » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 11:14

The most serious issue will be data transfer capacity, and just those that have boundless tops will truly benefit as much as possible from this.

Return to “Off Topic English”