Game of Thrones final season final finale (SPOILERS!)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Game of Thrones final season final finale (SPOILERS!)

Post by berth » Wed, 22. May 19, 01:20

Probably a redundant question but anyone been watching this? It's a fantasy show with dragons n stuff.

The show-runners were never going to please all of the people all of the time but I thought the ending was ok. They have been very busy tying up loose ends since the beginning of season 7.
However,
Spoiler
Show
Jon stabbing Danearys was so heavily telegraphed it had little impact, which it didn't deserve. So he gets sent off to the Night Watch again, whose purpose is..what now? I can't see them garnering too many recruits, given that the Night King is toast. King Bran's council engage in some banter(hilarious) and pithy argument. Sansa goes it alone (good for her). Arya gets her Bjarni Hrolfsson on.
So are we to believe that thenceforth everything is just fine in the 6+1 kingdoms of Westeros? I mean, I can't see that having a Stark on the Iron Rug and a Stark ruling the North wouldn't lead to dynastic squabbles in the following generations, cos everyone's now fluffy and lovely.
As for Danearys
Spoiler
Show
her transformation from goodie to baddie (good job that she went for the black leather look 'cos I wasn't sure whether she'd turned to the dark side) was, IMO, unbelievable. Tyrion's resumé of her career tried to rationalise her actions but it still doesn't wash.
Tl;dr: I'm glad it's over.

EDIT: missing parenthesis, spelling, rhubarb.

Tycow
x4

Re: Game of Thrones final season final finale (SPOILERS!)

Post by Tycow » Wed, 22. May 19, 07:18

Thoroughly meh season. Too rushed, too many glaring faux pas with rubbish writing behind it (Dany "forgot" about the Iron Fleet?)

I think it's quite clear that they'd run out of source material from the books!

The finale was just even more rushed than the rest of it, although I saw a great meme on Reddit:

Arya goes west, Sansa goes north, Drogon goes east and the show goes south.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 22. May 19, 08:00

Tycow wrote:
Wed, 22. May 19, 07:18
Didn't they run out of books several seasons ago?

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Wed, 22. May 19, 08:52

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 22. May 19, 08:00
Tycow wrote:
Yep, and the previous seasons have been pretty pap too.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 22. May 19, 11:20

pjknibbs wrote:
I think the end of Season 5 was the end of the books.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 25. May 19, 00:13

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 25. May 19, 06:09

berth wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 00:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhKOV3nImQ

sums it up pretty well imo :)
That was pretty darned good. Maybe HBO should hire that guy to write their next blockbuster series. :D

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 25. May 19, 06:22

Tycow wrote:
Wed, 22. May 19, 08:52
pjknibbs wrote:
Tycow wrote:
Yep, and the previous seasons have been pretty pap too.
What you meant to say Martin ran out of books. He seemed to participated in the show, so all questions about missing stories to him.

Personally the last season was fitting. I dont think I'd like any other ending or season. I got what I wanted out of it and I enjoyed it.

Spoiler
Show
My thoughts is that Dany's conversion was predictable and implied through most of the show. I am a little surprised such utter destruction of a town just came about at the very end, not earlier.

Recall how quickly she dispatched in brutal ways of anyone she considers enemies. She is the queen who never required a trial.
Recall how many times she also threatened people and cities with being burned down. As we can see now, those weren't jokes.

From her point of view, I can totally see her reasons to destroy King's Landing. That's how you fight wars to win, she did it right.

Not my thoughts:

It was pointed out to me there was another way that telegraphed Dany's end. Jon was revealed to be a Targaryan, and since a god tosses a coin, odds of having two good Targaryans have just dropped with that revelation. From there we can see who it's going to be.

Back to my thoughts:

Hm I actually didnt expect that Jon would kill Dany. He looked like he backed her the whole way, after walking down the ruins of the city, backing off from confrontation with Grey Worm, and still defending Dany when talking to Tyrion.
I could probably enjoy that ending too, where he wouldnt kill her and together the "liberate" more of Westeros. Unfortunately the show was already out of run time.

Is it a happy end?
It never is in Westeros. Things just go on.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Return to “Off Topic English”