we met doomsday prepper

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

we met doomsday prepper

Post by fiksal » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 16:58

It turns out, one of our friends / acquaintances is one. Became one about a year +/- ago. Last time we talked to them - all the regular stuff; kids to school, buy a house. Now priorities apparently are different.

And there started a weird monologue to have at a dinner table:

His central thing is that there won't be any viable oil in USA in 7 years max, and after that there will be a (quick) war for more oil with Canada, at which point North America will seize to have countries.
Even if those dates are wrong, he gives the whole world 40 years maximum before all oil runs out. And as it ends abruptly, the civilizations will go to pre -industrial revolution, since in his opinion, no other methods of getting energy will work or will be viable. Electricity will just be gone, coal will not be mined or used, nothing to even work metal.

With that, he, apparently with his whole family, is looking to leave the city almost immediately. Buying a farm in a next year, with a requirement of being at least 150 km away from any city. Why so far? Because cities will be blood baths very soon.
He says he's starting to order and stock pile tools and books.

His evidence - US government sites that he claims clearly state the 7 year date.

Some more information:
- The world leaders are evil people as they are hiding this info from the population. Considering that initially some 10% will just starve, and then another half of current population will die out.
- In passing, there's a smoke screen being created called Global Warming, which doesnt exist, as one volcano literally creates more gases than all of human activity in a history of mankind.
- The main issue still, is overpopulation and gene instability. Human genes are now too fragile and yield weak humans who are affected by previously unknown or rare conditions - for example: allergies, and cancers. But that he says won't be an issue that soon.

So what do you guys think, - I hoped for more than 7 years for the mankind.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: we met doomsday prepper

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 17:05

It actually has already begun...
A widespread power failure early Sunday morning left a large section of South America, including all of Argentina and Uruguay, without power — and an energy company official called the blackout “unprecedented.”
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 17:09

Did you get your farm set up?
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 17:05
It actually has already begun...
A widespread power failure early Sunday morning left a large section of South America, including all of Argentina and Uruguay, without power — and an energy company official called the blackout “unprecedented.”
So it's not just oil, it's the "unknown" will run out too, and have already done so
“The causes have not been determined and are being investigated,”

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 18:06

It is never a bad idea to be reasonably prepared. Growing some food, having backup power, water etc., are common precautions against known and unknown, natural and unnatural events. One doesn't have to be a doomsday prepper to recognize the fragility and dependencies involved in modern life.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 18:19

So, in the light of all this, who's up for a mass public rally in London sometime soon marching against nuclear power and/or solar/wind farms? (Because of the UK's recent change of stance on when it is to achieve carbon-neutral status.) :roll:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 19:02

Observe wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 18:06
It is never a bad idea to be reasonably prepared. Growing some food, having backup power, water etc., are common precautions against known and unknown, natural and unnatural events. One doesn't have to be a doomsday prepper to recognize the fragility and dependencies involved in modern life.
It's usually that extra leap of faith I think between reasonably prepared and the government will disappear soon, that I find interesting.

Out of curiosity, do you usually have food and water prepared?

My grandparents used to do it, which was reasonable considering they went through WW2. Yet all that food was eventually thrown away.

We used to grow food too. In post world ending scenario, it wouldn't have sustained our family though. Nor it would be do-able with all infrastructure suddenly dead.
Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 18:19
So, in the light of all this, who's up for a mass public rally in London sometime soon marching against nuclear power and/or solar/wind farms? (Because of the UK's recent change of stance on when it is to achieve carbon-neutral status.) :roll:
Marching against? Is that a pro oil march? Did anyone tell them about 7 to 40 years?

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 03:56

I been through a couple hurricanes. My lesson learned was to have everything I needed before it dawns on everyone else that they need it too. The highways turned into parking lots from people evacuating and if you waited you were not getting out. No plywood at the stores to board up windows. All the good food gone unless you wanted to live on canned badness or vegetarian food no one else wanted. Gas was sold out. The roads got blocked with fallen trees so emergency vehicles weren't getting everywhere they were needed. No electricity. I didn't think about phones much back then but now I consider how to keep one charged when the power is off.

It's best to think about this stuff before it happens. There is really nothing lost in having a supply of stuff. My stockpile of canned hams are good for a few more years before I have to start eating them or throwing them away. I have everything I need to hunker down and get through just about anything. Water, food, ammo. There is your equation for surviving anything intact. Maybe it won't help much to shoot at a natural disaster. Won't hurt though.
Who made that man a gunner?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 10:26

There's a whole lot of mileage between being sensibly prepared (depending on your circumstances), eg bottled water, tinned food, candles, matches, tools, or another example - Britain apparently has three days' worth of toilet paper on hand at any point in time. So yeah, I plan on stocking up prior to Brexit :lol:) and flat earth conspiracy theorist claptrap like "gene instability".

The former is no different to buying insurance on your car, house, skiing holiday. The later needs some tin foil.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Len5

Post by Len5 » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 14:06

If they're doomsday preppers, they're bad ones, I think. Telling other people you're a doomsday prepper... Isn't that the first thing you shouldn't be doing when prepping?
Maybe I'm wrong. I really don't know much about the matter. I'm still not sure if I what to survive the lawlessness and criminal gangs ruling the streets, killing/raping whoever they want, taking whatever they want.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 18:53

Masterbagger wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 03:56
I been through a couple hurricanes.
(Especially) living in hurricane area, I agree, some preparation is important.
Masterbagger wrote:
No plywood at the stores to board up windows. All the good food gone unless you wanted to live on canned badness or vegetarian food no one else wanted. Gas was sold out. The roads got blocked with fallen trees so emergency vehicles weren't getting everywhere they were needed. No electricity. I didn't think about phones much back then but now I consider how to keep one charged when the power is off.
So what do you store and how much / for how long?

Plywood for all windows; extra can of gas?

For a phone, I guess I'd go with a extra power bank. I have one that I keep at about 50-65%.
Masterbagger wrote:
My stockpile of canned hams are good for a few more years before I have to start eating them or throwing them away. I have everything I need to hunker down and get through just about anything. Water, food, ammo. There is your equation for surviving anything intact. Maybe it won't help much to shoot at a natural disaster. Won't hurt though.
How many cans of ham do you keep around? Do you store a lot of water?

RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 10:26
There's a whole lot of mileage between being sensibly prepared (depending on your circumstances), eg bottled water, tinned food, candles, matches, tools, or another example - Britain apparently has three days' worth of toilet paper on hand at any point in time. So yeah, I plan on stocking up prior to Brexit :lol:) and flat earth conspiracy theorist claptrap like "gene instability".

The former is no different to buying insurance on your car, house, skiing holiday. The later needs some tin foil.
actually, storing toilet paper is a good idea too.

I think if to approach the matter seriously, need to store some meds too.

I may consider some common sense items stored, but I dont think I can have enough things stored to last me more than weeks.

Len5 wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 14:06
If they're doomsday preppers, they're bad ones, I think. Telling other people you're a doomsday prepper... Isn't that the first thing you shouldn't be doing when prepping?
Maybe I'm wrong. I really don't know much about the matter. I'm still not sure if I what to survive the lawlessness and criminal gangs ruling the streets, killing/raping whoever they want, taking whatever they want.

It's the sudden change that I was caught off by surprise. Months ago, this family was buying a house and settling down in the city. Now, after few glasses of vine, he is talking about abandoning the city and going rural. Because literally in 7 years, there won't be a country (Canada), much less a city.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 20. Jun 19, 03:21

It actually isn't all that difficult to disinfect and store a whole lot of water on a moments notice using bleach.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-dr ... king-water

Water is not a big concern of mine. If I know a disaster is incoming I'll be making a beer run only.
Who made that man a gunner?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 20. Jun 19, 15:46

Show the guy this picture and ask him to honestly point at his position on that graph. Honestly.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 20. Jun 19, 19:02

radcapricorn wrote:
Thu, 20. Jun 19, 15:46
Show the guy this picture and ask him to honestly point at his position on that graph. Honestly.
I think he is way more convinced in this for that.

Return to “Off Topic English”