Decluttering the house - Getting rid of book collections

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How to get rid of book collections

Poll ended at Fri, 6. Sep 19, 21:44

Chuck 'em in recycling
6%
Sell them online
No votes
Donate them
94%

Total votes: 16

berth
x4

Re: Decluttering the house - Getting rid of book collections

Post by berth » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 02:45

Another vote for "give them to charity" here.

There's an RNLI shop here that I often give stuff to. And I generally come away with more books :o

I spotted one called "The splendour that was Egypt" once. Nearly bought it then realised I'd given it to them in the first place :D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 10:41

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 24. Aug 19, 18:37
Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 24. Aug 19, 18:10
I'm sure I've a book lying around about CP/M, and I pray to god you've never heard of it, or it means you're closing in on an appointment with a mortician... :(
Gee, thanks, I've heard of CP/M and I'm only 49...wasn't expecting to be having my visit from the Grim Reaper just yet.
I'm sure they were 49 glorious years, and we'll all remember you fondly. :P

*Checks death announcements for people of note thread*
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 10:48

brucewarren wrote:
Sat, 24. Aug 19, 20:22
When I was in school the class computer used CP/M. This says more about the state of funding of schools at the time than it does
about my age :wink:

If you want to feel really old look up CESIL.

My elder brother was forced to write "code" in that crap in computer class.

For those who value their sanity and would I rather i just tell you, it was an invented language designed to teach assembly language.
Like many invented languages it was far harder to use than any real assembly language because it had a ridiculously restricted
instruction set.
I think it was my 4th / 5th computer that had CP/M available on it. - An Amstrad 6128 or something like that. - Even then, I think it was a legacy from bygone days...
(1st computer was a Sharp MZ90K)

And I do remember CESIL, but I also wrote a compiler (in Pascal) for a simple machine code emulator called FL/0. - Talk about pointless...

I also learned Lisp, Fortran (77) and COBOL... :|

I also have wide collared shirts and think I dance like John Travolta. :(
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 11:28

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 25. Aug 19, 10:48
.... and think I dance like John Travolta. :(
In your dreams!
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 12:20

... or Travolta's nightmares maybe?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 13:12

Definitely charity, even if the charity shop-of-choice doesn't sell them directly from their shops (they may move it onwards if it doesn't shift), they then tend to gain *some* monetary gain by selling them onwards to https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb and similar, which people may then buy from.

Second donating to British Heart Foundation though - especially for decent furniture and other goodies like that. If they're interested then for bulkier items they send a volunteer with a van to collect it :)

As for community shared, our village phone box has been transformed into a mini library (with defibrillator installed too, surprisingly), where you can take / give books as you like (i.e. swapsies!).

I own a kindle, but buy about 10 times more paper books than kindle books. Still just find them easier to read - though I now tend to buy them second hand instead of new.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 18:22

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 24. Aug 19, 18:10
fiksal wrote:
Sat, 24. Aug 19, 17:51

At least SQL doesnt age. HTML maybe as introductary book will work. Java book is probably outdated if it's not 5+ version.
I'm sure I've a book lying around about CP/M, and I pray to god you've never heard of it, or it means you're closing in on an appointment with a mortician... :(
I have not ! phew, that was close.

But I probably still know BASIC perfectly....
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Return to “Off Topic English”