You don’t realise how big you are

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Antilogic
x3tc

You don’t realise how big you are

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 26. Aug 19, 19:22

I’ve lost a bit of weight recently which is great and all but seeing some photos etc from reddit has made me realise just how little an idea of how rather… big I was. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got some way to go still, but having gone from seemingly a small moon to merely fat wasn’t something I really noticed until recently.

I’ve never cared about my weight until recently either, helpful combination of things finding their way to that result. However, after avidly avoiding the mirror for other reasons and generally thinking “Oh XXL isn’t that bad you can still buy it in the shops” my general impression of myself was maybe, overweight, but it wasn’t *that* bad.

Yes… it was. Standing in my bedroom with one of my old belts that I’ve kept hold of and thinking ****** hell, how did it go out that far, like, ever??? is an interesting experience.

I could look at photos of overweight people online and not really process that I looked like that as well. I think that’s part of the issue for a lot of people, especially those that are get big while children/teenagers and don’t really have a measurement for their weight as an adult. The numbers are all meaningless at that point, comments, encouraging or otherwise from others simply bounce off because they often do not address the cause of the problem that’s behind the weight gain in the first place (and you may not even be truly aware of it yourself).

It’s only when you’re taking your favourite shirt off the airer (a Blake shirt from RWBY for those wondering) along with your favourite hoodie (a cat version of D.VA from Overwatch given by a close friend) and realise…. Holy **** these are HUGE. And then it’s a mixed feeling of… I can’t wear these anymore, they are too big, that sucks because I like them so much and the feeling of… holy shit I can’t wear these because they look like I’m wearing a tent.

It’s a good feeling, to have visible proof of some positive progress. But I think it’s a realisation of how hard it is to have a objective perspective about yourself, if its about weight or anything else.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: You don’t realise how big you are

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 26. Aug 19, 21:57

Favourite shirts are a great indicator as you say.

They are just as useful in that way on the way up when your dimensions are expanding. When your shirt that used to be just right seems to have developed ugly bulges between the buttons (and those don't seem to stay on as long as normal either). Or maybe you just can't seem to get the collar to sit right anymore - almost as if your neck had thickened up, but that can't have happened surely?

Of course, then rationalisation kicks in and says that the shirt you have owned for years must have suddenly shrunk in the wash!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 19:18

Can't add much, other than to say awesome achievement :)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 22:59

Chips wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 19:18
Can't add much, other than to say awesome achievement :)
Thank you :) Still some way to go - down over 70 pounds, but I got another 25 to get to a "healthy" weight. Then likely a bit more to get to what I would be happy to try and maintain.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 28. Aug 19, 05:53

I try to stick with the idea that people should aim to look what they imagine themselves to look.

So, if you see yourself differently, and you got to be how you see yourself, - congrats! It absolutely is a lot of effort to do that, that not everyone understands.

Unless you have professional advice already, I can help with some things as well. A little bit of a gym, martial arts and heavy lifting enthusiast.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 28. Aug 19, 10:52

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 28. Aug 19, 05:53
I try to stick with the idea that people should aim to look what they imagine themselves to look.
As I'm trans this is challenging ;)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 29. Aug 19, 05:54

Antilogic wrote:
Wed, 28. Aug 19, 10:52
fiksal wrote:
True as well

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 31. Aug 19, 06:46

Antilogic wrote:
Wed, 28. Aug 19, 10:52
fiksal wrote:
Whatever your lifestyle is it doesn't need to involve extra weight. I use the keto diet to fix myself. My repair phase starts this weekend. Having my last pizza and last beer tonight. Tomorrow it is all butter, eggs, and bacon for at least a month. When the cooler weather arrives I mean for my pants to fit comfortable. Some scumbag of a person decided to manufacture stretchy waistbands into shorts and not pants. Not nice. I refuse to come crawling back and buy the same clothes in a bigger size.
Who made that man a gunner?

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 31. Aug 19, 07:17

If you want to control your weight and waist line then there is something relatively simple you can do: green tea.

And I mean the normal, unprocessed, unmixed green tea, not the kind you see in fancy commercial packages or tea bag. Basically 100% green tea. Also it's not a once a while things either, but for it to have an effect it'll have to become a life style. Replace your coffee, your beer, your soda, your booze with tea and drink it everyday (think I drink about 1.2 Qt of tea a day). Keep that up for a month and you'll see your body go into some drastic change, after it stabilizes you'll see it regulate your metabolism pretty well. Years ago I had the same concern, considered a bit overweight for my height, and the pants kept getting tighter every years to a point I had to up size. Started drinking tea and the pants that was too tight for comfort became too loose that I need a tied belt to hold it up. And I also didn't have to change anything in term of dietary or exercise routine.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 31. Aug 19, 08:04

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 31. Aug 19, 07:17
If you want to control your weight and waist line then there is something relatively simple you can do: green tea.

And I mean the normal, unprocessed, unmixed green tea, not the kind you see in fancy commercial packages or tea bag. Basically 100% green tea. Also it's not a once a while things either, but for it to have an effect it'll have to become a life style. Replace your coffee, your beer, your soda, your booze with tea and drink it everyday (think I drink about 1.2 Qt of tea a day). Keep that up for a month and you'll see your body go into some drastic change, after it stabilizes you'll see it regulate your metabolism pretty well. Years ago I had the same concern, considered a bit overweight for my height, and the pants kept getting tighter every years to a point I had to up size. Started drinking tea and the pants that was too tight for comfort became too loose that I need a tied belt to hold it up. And I also didn't have to change anything in term of dietary or exercise routine.
We speak the same language. Cut the sugar and carbs from everyday beverages and keep the caffeine flowing. I don't think there is anything wrong with coffee though and I take mine from a Darth Vader mug that I never wash. Keeps the flavor intact and reminds me that the force is strong with this one. Got a second mug at work with Captain America on it. The coffee must flow. He who controls the coffee controls the universe.
Who made that man a gunner?

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 31. Aug 19, 09:23

It's not just the caffein though, green tea also have catechin so it's like you're eating a bunch of berry at the same time. Green tea gives me a better appertize comparing to coffee. Other than that it's less addictive comparing to coffee. I wouldn't consider an equivalent volume of coffee per day 'healthy', most people I know consuming that much coffee a day go into withdrawal without it. Sometime I skipped my tea for a few days and wouldn't feel any different. In fact there was a period I skipped it for a month and the only difference I noticed was my slightly increased waist line :P

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 31. Aug 19, 18:02

Whatever your lifestyle is it doesn't need to involve extra weight.
Being trans is not a "lifestyle". Just a note.
I use the keto diet to fix myself.
Hate it myself. I cut down on carbs but I do not like Keto. I have had no butter, eggs, or bacon in a while ^^
I refuse to come crawling back and buy the same clothes in a bigger size.
I keep having to buy more clothes in a smaller size. It's very annoying.
green tea.
Revolting ;) I have 90% water (some of it calorie free flavoured) along with diet, caffeine free coke.
keep the caffeine flowing
Been 100% caffeine free for 8 months now. Really helped anxiety.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 7. Sep 19, 14:33

There was a point earlier about cutting alcohol and soda/pop. Both great ideas, with or without green tea or coffee as a replacement.

Beer does quite a number on your body

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 7. Sep 19, 22:00

Not drinking booze or sugary soda is a big help for me aye. I think it will help me keep it off when I'm at my healthy weight too.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 8. Sep 19, 01:54

I don't drink tea for the caffeine, I rarely if ever drink coffee at all. I drink tea for its detoxification attribute, plus taste good. Another thing to consider is a high fiber diet, a good candidate is brown rice. It's highly nutritious so can help reduce intake from other sources, high fiber also help the digestive track to expel excess stuffs from it easier before your body take them in. Between Green Tea and Brown Rice I don't consider myself having a diet, these 2 ingredient can regulate whatever I eat, unless I slurp.

I'm not doing these because I care about how I look, a big waist line wouldn't be my concern if not for the health implication that comes with it. My people has a saying "the majority of illness came from your mouth", so eating healthy is the best way to stay healthy.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 8. Sep 19, 04:01

I second the brown rice. Have switched to it years ago ago over the white rice. ... and basically all the other big carbs

Return to “Off Topic English”