Amazon TV/ Netflix?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Amazon TV/ Netflix?

Post by greypanther » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 15:00

I am again tempted to add to my TV channels, but have a certain doubt about letting my so called smart TV have access to my wifi, I have read that it can cause vulnerabilities. So I have a simple question, which I am sure has been asked before, perhaps by me! :roll:

What is the safest way to access internet TV? I have always assumed via a PC, but would rather not, so what are the options and how safe are they in fact, rather than rumour?

Thank you in advance. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Amazon TV/ Netflix?

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 15:07

game consoles are super convenient if you use those. there's also streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku, etc. I prefer the Xbox One and Apple TV personally.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 15:26

We use combination of PS3 and Google Chromecast for playing content. And really the later can do pretty much everything.

Chromecast we cast from a phone. But can do it from TV too. I try not to cast from a PC. While I can, I dont want to carry my bluetooth keyboard across the room so that I can just hit pause.

Google Apps for Netflix is fine. I think there's one for Prime Video too. Google movies cast well to Chromecast. And I think I've lately been casting Amazon streaming from my phone as well.
PS3 has Netflix and Amazon Prime apps.

So mostly the TV comes from Amazon Prime subscription, Netflix subscription, and Google streaming and Amazon streaming rentals, or purchases.

Plus other channels like Curiosity that arent expensive.
We sometimes use other free services; cast Youtube to TV.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 15:31

greypanther wrote:
Tue, 22. Oct 19, 15:00
I am again tempted to add to my TV channels, but have a certain doubt about letting my so called smart TV have access to my wifi, I have read that it can cause vulnerabilities. So I have a simple question, which I am sure has been asked before, perhaps by me! :roll:

What is the safest way to access internet TV? I have always assumed via a PC, but would rather not, so what are the options and how safe are they in fact, rather than rumour?

Thank you in advance. :)
Two good options, I use both: Google Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Both are very simple to use. Plug into an empty HDMI slot, plug power in to a wall socket, connect to your wifi and its good to go.
If you're really concerned about safety, just keep them unplugged untill you want to use them.
The small size also makes them portable.
One-time purchases, obviously excluding any subscriptions to Netflix, etc.

Fire TV Stick
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV ... yer-Alexa/
Its an Android-based system which gives you a lot of freedom in adding third-party applications if you wish. Most users will just use the Amazon Appstore to download the free apps like iPlayer, Netflix, etc.
You will need an Amazon account to use it, but since you wanted to watch Amazon's content I doubt that's a negative for you.
Edit: has its own remote.

Google Chromecast
https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast
More of a wifi receiver with no real interface of its own. Using a Google account, you can stream whatever is on your PC's Chrome browser to your TV, so a huge amount of freedom. Chromecast functionality is also heavily integrated into Android smartphones so most media apps you already have can be sent to your TV very easily. Note that some programs do not work with it (I've experienced Sky's Desktop player).

If you just want Netflix and Amazon video, I would probably recommend the Fire TV Stick over the Chromecast, but each has their uses.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 15:52

Just to expand on my opinions. I personally am not fond of so called "Smart TVs" of any brand. Most are hastily developed as a selling point for the TVs and most use an "Always listening" feature for voice control which is where most of the security concerns stem from, especially any of the ones pushing Alexa. Some, like Sony, adopted Apple's method of using a push button on the remote to engage the microphone which is a better choice to an "always listening" but the UI is also extremely slow in places, plus the integrated NICs, both wired and wireless, are not good quality.

Most wired TV connections are 10/100 - not good for 4k streaming if that's your thing. Wireless well, I'm never fond of wireless connections for stationary devices. I invested in a wired network for my house and limit Wifi use to things that I don't care about their connection quality like my cell phone, laptop, printer, etc.. My PC and game consoles and Apple TVs are all hard wired. Worth it if you live somewhere you can get this professionally done.

But, so Pros of an Xbox One and PS4 for a streaming device:
GAAAMMMEEESSS! duh
blu-ray player, 4k for xbox one, ps4 does not have 4k blu-ray
all streaming apps are available. PS4 pro allows 4k streaming, standard/mini does not, Both Xbox One models allow 4k streaming
personal customization menu to put the apps you want up front
If you have a home theater, the sound quality from either is far superior to what you would get from the ARC from a TV in most cases.

Cons:
Price

Pros of set top streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku)
Cost - roku is really cheap, Apple TV is almost as much as a gaming console
easy setup
smart home integration with Apple TV (if you're using homekit within Apples smart home ecosystem)
all streaming apps are available
4k is optional (you don't need 4k tv for the apple TV 4k)
size - they're super small, don't need a lot of room for either.

Cons:
no disc player
Audio quality is okay, but no Dolby or DTS sound decoders in either. Just PCM.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 16:36

I use an Amazon Fire TV Stick connected via Wi-Fi and haven't had any issues yet, although it's one of the older models without the Alexa integration. I would certainly recommend a solution like that over a smart TV which might not be supported forever--if the stick fails, or there are major security issues found with it that don't get fixed, you can easily swap it for something else (e.g. Roku or what-have-you).

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 23. Oct 19, 11:20

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer, useful. However I have not made my question specific enough it seems, I am stupid. :oops:

I knew how to physically get it on my TV, but had doubts about the safety of doing so, other than using a PC. I even have several ways to access it already. I was told several times, including by a couple of people on this forum, that it was not safe to use something like a smart TV, or even the Fire Stick etc., because it caused a way for hackers to access your home network, caused an extra vulnerability. This advice is probably wrong, I guess there must be many millions using Alexa for instance now and I have never read anything about any problems with it. ( Other than Amazon listening in! :P )

So is general consensus that such is something not to be worried about now?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 23. Oct 19, 14:25

Well for starters, hackers rarely go after individuals unless they're prominent public figures or wealthy. The truth is there is no such thing as entirely secure with anything connected to the internet. There are steps you can take to help protect yourself but there are things that are well beyond your control that can be used to gain access to your home network. The only sure fired way to be secured from internet hackers is to disconnect from the internet.

1) make sure you're behind a router and a firewall. Never ever connect anything directly to the internet other than your router/firewall. That is always going to be your first layer of defense by A, masking your machines local IP address behind your ISP assigned IP address, and B allowing the firewall to help prevent unsolicited traffic from crossing into your local network. I'm not going to go into a whole tutorial on firewall best practices, there's a ton of resources on the interwebs.

2) Understand what's happening to data collected by devices you have connected to your network. I'm going to pick on Ring as an example.
Ring doorbells use a built in VPN client in the device that connects back to Ring's servers in the cloud where all recordings are stored. From there, data is pushed back down the internet to your cell phone or PC to the ring app to alert you for motion detections and door bell pushes and for you to access recordings and the camera/mic. Your phone, even when on the same network as the ring doorbell, is never directly connected to the doorbell; if your internet is down, so to is your ability to access the doorbell functions. Ring also takes those recordings and sells them to 3rd parties without ever notifying you that they're doing that.

Now, the data between the doorbell and ring is encrypted, as is your connection from your phone to ring. But, Ring itself is a target for hackers. If they're breached, your address, recordings, everything an intruder would need to learn your location and daily routines to break in could be at risk. They say personal info isn't sold with the recordings to 3rd parties, but I wouldn't trust them.

So with anything that you want to use, understand what's happening with the data it collects. What is Amazon doing with their spy bots? What is google doing with their ad revenue collection devices? All questions you should ask. - Remember, you're not a person to these companies. You are a treasure trove of information that makes them money.

3) Never use the same password on different accounts. I know it's a pain in the ass to keep up with multiple passwords, but if you use the same password on Netflix that you use for Amazon or your banking websites or whatever, the chances that you'll be compromised skyrockets if just one of those gets breached.

4) don't open email attachments or click on links from people you don't recognize. Seriously, this is the number 1 way people get hacked still today. I can't stress this enough. All kinds of bad things can happen from your data becoming encrypted and held for ransom to trojans being installed on your pc that will give hackers a way in for whatever purposes they're after.

5) make sure you update all the things regularly. Not just your PC, but your router and any other connected devices. These updates will address most discovered vulnerabilities.

The interwebs is a scary place. But it's manageable if you keep your head about you. As I said, unless you're a public figure or wealthy, the likelihood of someone going after you specifically via a streaming device is negligible. Besides, for that to happen there would have to be malicious code embedded on them or some as yet undiscovered vulnerability that hasn't been patched. I would just stay away from anything Alexa managed to keep their grubby mitts off your data.
rebellionpac.com

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 23. Oct 19, 16:42

... In short, no. You have little to worry about @Greypanther .
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 23. Oct 19, 20:52

Thank you people. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”