No one told me about these m.2 SSD drives

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jlehtone
x4

Re: No one told me about these m.2 SSD drives

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 19:33

Masterbagger wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 04:36
It also has room for only one hard drive or DVD drive but not both. The last few days I have been deleting junk I don't need anymore and it turns out that I need far less storage than I have now. I see that SSD drives now go up to 4GB and that will hold all of the music and movies I anticipate wanting.
I assume the "4GB" is a typo. Samsung seems to have a 30TB SSD. 2.5", but SAS rather than SATA (and enterprise pricing).

Nevertheless, doesn't your case boast room for four 2.5" devices on display, i.e. on the side / not conflicting with the cooler?
(+1 "hotswap slot"?)

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 16:15
dude they invented these great new gadgets they call them external hard drives i have loads of them
You sound like Dr. Strangelove. Haphazard heap of externals is like floppies all over again; scary. :doh:

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Fri, 1. Nov 19, 03:58

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 19:33
Masterbagger wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 04:36
It also has room for only one hard drive or DVD drive but not both. The last few days I have been deleting junk I don't need anymore and it turns out that I need far less storage than I have now. I see that SSD drives now go up to 4GB and that will hold all of the music and movies I anticipate wanting.
I assume the "4GB" is a typo. Samsung seems to have a 30TB SSD. 2.5", but SAS rather than SATA (and enterprise pricing).

Nevertheless, doesn't your case boast room for four 2.5" devices on display, i.e. on the side / not conflicting with the cooler?
(+1 "hotswap slot"?)
I was surprised by it too but there is a 4GB drive out there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07864XY8B/re ... =UTF8&th=1

I can wait for a sale. My main nvme drive is 2TB so I don't need a dedicated drive for games anymore after trimming away what I had installed. The hotswap port is kind of nice and I may use it. I periodically image my windows drive and store a backup in case I ever have to recover. Been doing this long enough that I have needed it once already after an SSD failure. It is completely worth the effort.

Amazon unexpectedly delivered the motherboard and CPU today. Not going to assemble them tonight. I have all the lights turned off while hiding from trick or treaters. I ordered a video card. Got the nvidia 2080 super. That should last me a long time and still have some value as a hand me down in a few years. I'll have it in hand tomorrow and that should be everything needed to be up and running. It's going to be a sad thing to finally turn off this computer and yank the drives.
Who made that man a gunner?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 1. Nov 19, 07:28

Masterbagger wrote:
Fri, 1. Nov 19, 03:58

That's a 4Tb drive, not a 4Gb one--that's why jlehtone assumed your original "4Gb" was a typo, because 4Gb is less than most USB pen drives have!

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 2. Nov 19, 04:47

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 1. Nov 19, 07:28
Masterbagger wrote:
Fri, 1. Nov 19, 03:58

That's a 4Tb drive, not a 4Gb one--that's why jlehtone assumed your original "4Gb" was a typo, because 4Gb is less than most USB pen drives have!
I see where the confusion was. My fault. Lack of caffeine.

Video card was a no show. I had it shipped to my workplace to eliminate the risk of porch pirates. That means it ain't coming until Monday because we're closed and new PC isn't motivation enough to go to work on a weekend. This is it then. One last weekend of using this old dinosaur. I intend to make the best of it.

I did make the mistake of shining a black light on it. I should never have bought a black light. The case is fine just needs some scrubbing around the power button. I will have to add a rug to the list of stuff I need to replace here. My fault there too. I should never have fed dog dog whatever made those stains. I know he can't handle pepperoni.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Tue, 5. Nov 19, 03:21

It is done. I assembled everything yesterday using my old video card. The new one arrived and completed it. I set all the RGB stuff to red and have it slowly pulsing on and off. It is glorious. It is very very quiet, runs cool, and it boots stupidly fast.

All of this has been so worth it. The last thing to figure out is the monitors. The outside rims of these monitors are not small. I would not be happy running them in a triple setup. I can either stay with 1080p monitors and get 3 new ones to go to a triple monitor setup as close to frameless as possible or just get one monster of a 1440p to be the main. I'm going to wait on that.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 5. Nov 19, 03:44

Masterbagger wrote:
Tue, 5. Nov 19, 03:21
It is done. I assembled everything yesterday using my old video card. The new one arrived and completed it. I set all the RGB stuff to red and have it slowly pulsing on and off. It is glorious. It is very very quiet, runs cool, and it boots stupidly fast.

All of this has been so worth it. The last thing to figure out is the monitors. The outside rims of these monitors are not small. I would not be happy running them in a triple setup. I can either stay with 1080p monitors and get 3 new ones to go to a triple monitor setup as close to frameless as possible or just get one monster of a 1440p to be the main. I'm going to wait on that.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 024125.jpg

That's your quote in the bottom left hand corner of the right hand monitor.

It works.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 5. Nov 19, 09:39

RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 5. Nov 19, 03:44

It works.
He never said it didn't work, he said he didn't like the bezels of the monitors being as thick as they are?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 5. Nov 19, 21:00

RegisterMe's bezels are not exactly thin either.

I don't find different resolutions (height) side by side comfy. Then again throwing out a perfectly usable side monitor due to such minor issue is waste.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 03:38

RegisterMe wrote:

It works.
Is that a left handed mouse? Neat. I need to look into those vapor things. I should smoke less. Can't handle different heights in monitors. I'm planning around the release of Mechwarrior 5 in December. That is something I want to experience to the fullest extent possible since it has been so long. I think one monster monitor would settle my needs. I run my games in borderless windows so I can have other things up on the side. Like spreadsheets for X4. Can't get away from spreadsheets.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 17:22

Masterbagger wrote:
Wed, 6. Nov 19, 03:38
RegisterMe wrote:

It works.
Is that a left handed mouse? Neat. I need to look into those vapor things. I should smoke less. Can't handle different heights in monitors. I'm planning around the release of Mechwarrior 5 in December. That is something I want to experience to the fullest extent possible since it has been so long. I think one monster monitor would settle my needs. I run my games in borderless windows so I can have other things up on the side. Like spreadsheets for X4. Can't get away from spreadsheets.
That makes sense. I'm very happy with "different monitors for different things", so bezels don't really bother me ie I have email / work on the left screen, a main screen for more work / gaming in the middle, and I have Discord and a browser running news or whatever on the right hand screen. If I wanted a "multiscreen wrap around type thing" then yeah, the bezels would be a problem.

It's not a left handed mouse, but it is an ambidextrous mouse. It's a Roccat Kova+ and I'm very happy with it.

And yep, I vape. I smoked thirty a day for thirty years up until August 2014. I've had two cigarettes since then and that is solely down to vaping.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”