Anyone else take Halloween seriously?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

esd
x3tc

Anyone else take Halloween seriously?

Post by esd » Wed, 30. Oct 19, 21:02

By seriously, I mean "make an effort". We do, the kids are a great excuse. Previously we've built basic animatronic zombies, ghosts, etc. I even made a Mage's Staff that you double-tap to change the colour of it's magical orb. This year isn't as spectacular, but I've been slowly restoring an old lantern I found in an alley. First it was cleaned up with a dremel and then primed and painted copper. I put together some neopixels and a *new* toilet brush holder, and it now looks like this!

We've got a smoke machine and lights galore. I'll be wearing a vulture's head and a long, black, cloak.

Or do you just turn the front lights out, draw the curtains and ignore the door for the night?
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Tycow
x4

Re: Anyone else take Halloween seriously?

Post by Tycow » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 01:01

We put pumpkins out and dress up for the kids. That's about it at the moment, although I can see that changing as our two year old gets older! :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 07:31

Don't have kids, and since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few weeks ago I don't want sweets in the house either, so I guess that's whatever the equivalent is of "bah humbug" for Hallowe'en! :)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 10:50

Tycow wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 01:01
We put pumpkins out and dress up for the kids. That's about it at the moment, although I can see that changing as our two year old gets older! :D
We put pumpkins out and the kids dress up for us :).

(Well, to be accurate, I visit my god children every year, all the streets round where they live put pumpkins in the window if they are "open for business", and parents etc shepherd hordes of sugar hyped children in fancy dress around whilst nipping at a hip flask. It's a lot of fun :mrgreen: ).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 11:58

Tycow wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 01:01
Same.

The year we moved house into an area that was a bit more "neighbourly" than most of London is and with a fair few kids around I decided to make more of an effort and actually bought a load of sweets to give to any kids that knocked. . . . I discovered a flaw in my plan however. I do not get home from work until 7pm at the earliest, often later. . . 8 or 9pm, so of course no children knocked at this time because they all do it between 4 and 6 and are in bed before I even get home. Haven't bothered since.

I've often said that the American take on "Halloween" should just be renamed "National Cosplay and Candy Day". . . . which, don't get me wrong, is an awesome idea, but they need to stop pretending it has anything at all to do with scary things / Samhain.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 14:23

I would love to but muh poor dog goes nuts when someone comes to the door. For her sake, I turn off the door bell and just put a bowl out.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 21:41

We went around with a party of several young kids (of which our 3 yr old granddaughter was one) this year. I noticed many households who had entered into it with pumpkins and decorations etc just put a bowl of sweets out this year along with a notice asking callers not to knock but just to take one or two sweets each.

I noticed that the youngsters (say 3-6 yrs) were very good in just taking the recommended amount whereas we noticed older children say (7-12 yrs) taking whole handfuls. All with parents/guardians watching of course. <shrugs>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 21:43

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 31. Oct 19, 21:41
We went around with a party of several young kids (of which our 3 yr old granddaughter was one) this year. I noticed many households who had entered into it with pumpkins and decorations etc just put a bowl of sweets out this year along with a notice asking callers not to knock but just to take one or two sweets each.

I noticed that the youngsters (say 3-6 yrs) were very good in just taking the recommended amount whereas we noticed older children say (7-12 yrs) taking whole handfuls. All with parents/guardians watching of course. <shrugs>
The callers we had were generally good, taking 1 or 2 sweets each. Had two teenage lads try their luck... no costume, no masks, no facepaint. Just opened to door to "trick or treat".

I enjoyed giving them a dressing down. :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 21:57

I enjoy giving the teenage try-it-ons just a toddler-theme lollipop. Watching their expressions is just priceless.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 31. Oct 19, 23:08

I carved a penis and a mouth into the pumpkin and put it outside. Not a SINGLE trick or treater. Most disappointed.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sat, 2. Nov 19, 22:26

I like how some women dress on Halloween.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 2. Nov 19, 22:46

I didn't even know it was Halloween until I drove to the nearby gas station and saw a young woman with a bruised and swollen face. At first I thought she was a victim of domestic abuse, until I realized it was makeup and that it was Halloween. Still, I guess my initial reaction might have been correct. Who would know?

Return to “Off Topic English”