New Steam Interface

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

notaterran
x3tc

Re: New Steam Interface

Post by notaterran » Sat, 2. Nov 19, 22:38

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 2. Nov 19, 04:08
I think you are going to ruin farm games forever if you spread graphics about them being a good way to meet girls.
Heh. Well, I can see a correlation between female gamers and casual gaming. As we can see from the stats, the more serious/demanding a game is, the less females are interested in it which explains why the highest levels of eSports tend to be male-dominated. Most females are casual.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sat, 2. Nov 19, 22:40

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 2. Nov 19, 21:10
I just updated and I'm really not sure what the fuss is about. My list of games is on there on the left pretty much as it always has been, only in a slightly different font maybe? Yeah, the stuff on the right has changed, but given all I ever did on that side was click Play anyway and that button is still very obviously there, I have to say I'm not seeing enough of a change to cause the dislike.
And this is the issue for Steam. Some do like it and I may even get used to the visual assault in time, that's fine. However, those that used the list view on the right no longer have that option and don't understand why not

There's a raft of use cases no longer catered for. For me that's sorting a complete list of games and moving between libraries on different disks depending on how often I played the game and whether disk IO is important. Occasionally I would also backup large games to an external disk or NAS, depending on size, to free up space. There may be other ways of achieving this now but not in one convenient and uncluttered place.

Separate to this, it's just insult atop injury that the launcher is slow and crashes. This may affect a minority but it'll be a very vocal minority if you're already feeling aggrieved over the UI changes.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 3. Nov 19, 00:33

notaterran wrote:
Sat, 2. Nov 19, 22:38
Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 2. Nov 19, 04:08
I think you are going to ruin farm games forever if you spread graphics about them being a good way to meet girls.
Heh. Well, I can see a correlation between female gamers and casual gaming. As we can see from the stats, the more serious/demanding a game is, the less females are interested in it which explains why the highest levels of eSports tend to be male-dominated. Most females are casual.
Blimey.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sun, 3. Nov 19, 00:48

pjknibbs wrote:
I just updated and I'm really not sure what the fuss is about. My list of games is on there on the left pretty much as it always has been, only in a slightly different font maybe? Yeah, the stuff on the right has changed, but given all I ever did on that side was click Play anyway and that button is still very obviously there, I have to say I'm not seeing enough of a change to cause the dislike.
Agreed. I still have my categorised list to the left and actually find the space on the right somewhat useful as opposed to fairly useless as it was. I am now alerted to news activity of games I own. I even browsed my library seeing pictures of games I haven't seen in ages. I find the icons a nice reminder as to what the game is (because I am old and don't always remember by name)

I quite like the change tbh. I am not a casual gamer, nor do I play games on mobile devices. I am also not young anymore :)
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 3. Nov 19, 01:06

Bazza wrote:
Sun, 3. Nov 19, 00:48
[...] I still have my categorised list to the left and actually find the space on the right somewhat useful as opposed to fairly useless as it was. I am now alerted to news activity of games I own. I even browsed my library seeing pictures of games I haven't seen in ages. I find the icons a nice reminder as to what the game is (because I am old and don't always remember by name)

I quite like the change tbh. I am not a casual gamer, nor do I play games on mobile devices. I am also not young anymore :)
Interesting, some of what you listed as positives are negatives for me. I may get used to this UI but I doubt it. Different strokes, and all that :)
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 4. Nov 19, 03:31

As I said in my previous post I normally use the miniui so I don't see the normal steam UI, but I did look at it earlier and I'll say it's okay and shiny. A few things I would lie to see changed. On the homepage at the top you have what's new, it's stuck there I would like the option to get rid of that as I have little to no interest in what it says. Also the icons are a little bit on the too large size, they take up far too much room, if they were about a quarter of their current size that would be great. As it stand right now I have 11 games on my favourite list and only 6 of them show up, I have to expand the list to see the other 5. Saying that I don't see anything wrong with it and I have had no problems with it today.

I have noticed google has changes their UI, don't know when that happened as I don't normally use google. Netflix has changed theirs in the last week or so. Even Plex changed theirs recently, so it seems to be a bit of a trend right now for some reason.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 4. Nov 19, 12:23

pjknibbs wrote:
I'm with you on this. I noticed the change to my game list, and that the Play button got bigger. The rest of the interface was just fluff as far as I was concerned anyway.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Nov 19, 12:24

How do you order the 'What's New' top row into date order of last input/update, and if you can't then why would they leave out such an obvious aid to viewing relevance?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 4. Nov 19, 13:48

pjknibbs wrote:
My exact thoughts! :)

The right side is a bit irritating as it draws a lot of attention but that's it. I even quite like it. :)

I wish I had the same problems as other people here.
My life would be so much easier o_o

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”