His Dark Materials (BBC / HBO Adaptation)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tycow
x4

His Dark Materials (BBC / HBO Adaptation)

Post by Tycow » Mon, 4. Nov 19, 00:27

Anyone catch this tonight? Generally thought it was good; much better than the film (which isn't difficult tbh). Casting seems to be good for the various characters so far, particularly Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter... she's got that sweet/edge perfect.

red assassin
x3

Re: His Dark Materials (BBC / HBO Adaptation)

Post by red assassin » Mon, 4. Nov 19, 01:28

Yep, been looking forward to this for a while, and reread the series in preparation (having not read it since it originally came out). Generally very impressed. I'm not 100% convinced by Lord Asriel yet, but we've only really seen a tiny bit of his character really. The other casting was excellent, especially, as you say, Mrs Coulter. I liked how the daemons are done, although I did notice that background characters' daemons are often not visible, which I found a little jarring (if understandable). Title sequence was cool too - some, ahem, subtle nods there.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 5. Nov 19, 01:14

I.... kind of struggled with the books. I think I got through two and a half of them? Not a great recommendation when there were three of them. I can't remember why I tired of them, but I am very glad I watched it last night :).

Lots of tease, of lots of promise. I'm looking forwards to the rest of the series.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 22:51

Yes, I enjoyed the first part of this adaptation too. I do hope there will be no movement to discontinue the series on 'religious grounds' as happened with the Golden Compass film. Whether it was killed off just for that or perhaps because of it being a weaker film through it already having been watered down as compared to the book author's approach in areas of religious importance, I couldn't really say.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 7. Nov 19, 01:52

red assassin wrote:
Mon, 4. Nov 19, 01:28
I liked how the daemons are done, although I did notice that background characters' daemons are often not visible, which I found a little jarring (if understandable). Title sequence was cool too - some, ahem, subtle nods there.
Got to admit I did scratch my head and wonder where all of their daemons had gone. It looks like only the main characters have them and no one else is worthy enough to have them.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 7. Nov 19, 09:07

felter wrote:
Thu, 7. Nov 19, 01:52
Got to admit I did scratch my head and wonder where all of their daemons had gone. It looks like only the main characters have them and no one else is worthy enough to have them.
It's a HBO/BBC co-production, I imagine the budget didn't allow for everyone to have a daemon in every scene. Anyway, after the first episode I'm cautiously optimistic--the lass playing Lyra may look nothing like the book description but she seems like a darned good actress, and obviously the likes of James McAvoy are always worth watching.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 7. Nov 19, 10:36

felter wrote:
Thu, 7. Nov 19, 01:52

There's definitely a few background character daemons around - they're often quite subtle, but there's stuff like dogs and sheep around the servants' areas, birds flying around in some of the scholars' scenes, etc. I just thought there's noticeably few visible in some of the larger scenes.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 10. Nov 19, 23:50

Well then. Another good episode, I thought. Mrs Coulter continues to impress.

Spoilers from the books below:
Spoiler
Show
Interesting that they've leant into the parallel worlds already, given that doesn't appear until the second book! I guess I understand why - it's a critical part of the universe and I understand wanting to establish that early. But I worry it'll take some of the impact of Asriel's brute-force approach to crossing worlds when we've seen other characters casually sauntering between worlds for the whole series. Likewise the reveals of Asriel as Lyra's father, Mrs Coulter as the GOB, and more about the Magisterium are all earlier than in the books, though again, understandable world establishment.
Also, the second priest from the scene in Mrs Coulter's apartment had a beetle daemon - two books early for his debut!
edit: also I have just discovered that ChrysWatchesGOT is doing HDM recaps now and it's my favourite thing ever: https://imgur.com/a/iQEhIkv (episode 1)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 22:06

I thought tonight's episode was the best yet. Very dark.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 23:17

Indeed. Really enjoying what they're doing with the show so far in general, too.

Return to “Off Topic English”