Red dead, it should be shot dead.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Red dead, it should be shot dead.

Post by felter » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 02:05

So has anyone been trying to play Red Dead Redemption 2 on the PC, I say trying to play, as it turns out most people can't get the game to play it, currently it just looks like to be another example of how not to release a game. I have not got it myself, as it is just another AAA game and I tend to stay away from them nowadays, but it does sound like an utter mess of a release.

An interesting thing though is, if you go to the Metacritic page for the game, you have a critic score of 94% and a user score of 3.4% (at the time of writing this). Now it's not the difference of the scores, but the fact that as I said above no one can get it to run, okay some can but they are few and far between. Now if you look at the critic reviews not one of them has any of the issues that the users and the internet are talking about. So this leads to the question just what game was the critics reviewing, if they were reviewing the PC game then how come none of them had any of the issue that everyone else is having. So once again you have to ask the question, are these critics playing the games they are meant to be reviewing or are they being paid for their reviews from the likes of Rockstar games, because they are not playing the same game that everyone else is playing, that's for sure.

If you haven't heard of the problems that people are having with the game here's a video from JayzTwoCents about the issue and him trying to fix it. He actually calls it the worst game launch ever, which is saying something especially when you think on the likes of Fallout 76 or even anthem, both of which were released recently and both were cluster***** of a release.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Red dead, it should be shot dead.

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 02:40

i doubt the content between the console versions and pc versions is any different, I would say the reviews are fair in that sense. But as far as a bugged launch goes, yeah... QA dropped the ball for sure. I really don't get how any developer can miss something like that. I'm not familiar off hand with the specifics of the issues the users are having, but as wide spread as it is, there definitely has to be some commonality between them all and I can't see how it could be any kind of non standard configuration that wouldn't have been tested for.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 03:09

Another fine example of why you
don't pre-order video games.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 04:23

I learned my lesson on console ports when I bought Skyrim. I learned my lesson about buying games at launch from Battlefield 4. I'm not big on paid reviews. Usually more truth in reviews where no money was involved.
Who made that man a gunner?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 04:26

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 9. Nov 19, 02:40
i doubt the content between the console versions and pc versions is any different, I would say the reviews are fair in that sense. But as far as a bugged launch goes, yeah... QA dropped the ball for sure. I really don't get how any developer can miss something like that. I'm not familiar off hand with the specifics of the issues the users are having, but as wide spread as it is, there definitely has to be some commonality between them all and I can't see how it could be any kind of non standard configuration that wouldn't have been tested for.
They are actually quite different. The game may be the same but the controls and even the graphics are different, let alone the UI will or should be different. The game itself will also play differently as is being shown with the problems with the PC version, so no they are not the same. It's the same with the console versions they are also different and play differently. you even have different frame rates. There are so many different variables between each different machines. So doing a review for the PC version but using a console game for doing that review is wrong and I doubt a reviewer would last long if caught doing so.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 05:40

felter wrote:
Sat, 9. Nov 19, 04:26
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 9. Nov 19, 02:40
They are actually quite different. The game may be the same but the controls and even the graphics are different, let alone the UI will or should be different. The game itself will also play differently as is being shown with the problems with the PC version, so no they are not the same. It's the same with the console versions they are also different and play differently. you even have different frame rates. There are so many different variables between each different machines. So doing a review for the PC version but using a console game for doing that review is wrong and I doubt a reviewer would last long if caught doing so.
bah. that's nitpicking. The story, the textures, the models, the voice acting, no difference between the two. If anything, the PC version is a port of the console version. They just rewrote the executable to interface with whatever API in the OS is needed to run the game. Developers do that all the time, in reverse as well. Besides, 4k HDR consoles can hold their own against typical PC builds. You can see that in plenty of AAA titles like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom (the new ones), FF15, etc. I promise you, they're not rewriting these games from the ground up for each platform release. While it's true, you can squeeze out a few extra fps on a PC, provided you have the appropriate hardware, reviews aren't going to be written to give only the best score for which ever platform gives 5 extra FPS. They're reviewing the game, not your PC build =p
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 9. Nov 19, 15:35

Here's the thing. How do you know they are the same, how do you know they are just a port, how do you know they play the same, how do you know they look the same, how do you know if a keyboard and mouse work. I could go on and on with the how, do you know you wouldn't know because you wouldn't bother to test and review you would rather just assume that they are.

If reviewers were using the PC version, then they could report on the problems, it is the only way that they would know about the issues and report on them. If they used a console version then the review is wrong, as it will not take into account of the issues that the PC version has and the console version does not have, meaning that the review is wrong. It isn't nickpicking, it's finding and reporting on the facts doing a reviewers job. You have been accusing someone else of not listening to the facts and telling lies, and now you are accepting the exact same thing as being okay.

With your reasoning it would be okay if Apple releases a new phone, reviewers don't bother testing and reviewing it, they just use last years review they are just the same thing after all. Samsung releases a new television, don't bother reviewing it just use last years review they just show moving pictures after all. If you do not play or test what you are reviewing, then you are not reviewing that product, you are just assuming the product is as you are being told.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 10. Nov 19, 00:30

Yes, I am assuming because it's a logical assumption. I work in IT and am very familiar with multiplatform software development and deployment, as well as I play games on both my PC and my Xbox. The content in these games, including from Rockstar, are identical on both platforms. It wouldn't make any sense to redraw and texture models, rebuild world maps, rerecord voice lines, rewrite scripted events, just because one platform can use a keyboard/mouse and the other can't. As I said, they're just rewriting the executable to accommodate the OS that it's going to be run on, the rest of the game, the actual core parts that include all of the visuals and audio is just simply repackaged.

The iPhone Samsung TV model analogy doesn't work because you're talking about hardware. A more accurate analogy would be a book in paper back vs hard back. Same story either way, just minor physical differences that doesn't change the content.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”