Moving to Windows 10, a couple of questions.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Moving to Windows 10, a couple of questions.

Post by berth » Sun, 15. Dec 19, 00:26

I'm (still) running Win 7 Home (Retail version) and I know that the time is approaching to finally make the move to 10. But I have a couple of questions I'd appreciate feedback on.

If I buy a Win10 Home key from Microsoft, will it be a retail key or oem? Trying to ascertain whether software is retail or oem seems a very slippery subject in Internetland. I know I could just upgrade 7 to 10 using the existing key but I expect I'm going to need to run the old 7 in a VM for certain stuff I use for work etc.

I've been using Office 2003 since, well, at least 2005. I'm not sure if it will work with W10 but, if it doesn't, how do people rate LibreOffice vs Office 365 or 2019 or whatever the latest version is? I generally only use Word and Excel (and a bit of Access but that could be moved to the Win7 VM).

Gaming. This is why I'm not bothering to consider moving to Linux. Dosbox would be ok but lots of other stuff wouldn't be as I understand it. However, I have an HTPC in the lounge also running 7 (oem) and I'll probably flip that over to some flavour of Linux. Any suggestions re suitable distros would be very welcome.

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Moving to Windows 10, a couple of questions.

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 15. Dec 19, 01:42

if you buy an upgrade direct from MS, you'll go from retail to retail. YMMV if you go through 3rd parties for the upgrade key, which could cause you some issues. Still, the best thing to do is buy a digital license (not upgrade) from MS and tie it to a Microsoft account (hotmail/live/outlook.com account) and the license will follow your MS account and desktop login for reinstalling and transferring to new hardware. Product Key activation can be easily managed through your MS account settings. You can optionally secure the account with multi-factor authentication via either txt code or RSA token authentication you can install on your smart phone. Windows 10 Hello will allow you to use a 4-6 digit pin instead of your account PW for desktop login on your device as well, or picture password, or facial recognition if you have a supported web cam. There's a buttload of back end management features that makes Windows 10 so nifty and simple provided you play ball with Microsoft's account. Doesn't cost anything extra to do it.

As far as office is concerned. I believe 2003 was a 16 bit application. If you're going to a 64 bit OS you won't be able to run 2003 directly. You'll have to install a 32 bit OS in a VM. If you buy a license direct, you can reinstall Windows 7 in a VM. The latest version of Hyper-V is included as an optional feature for Windows 10 and you can do some local volume sharing between the host and VM and virtual application publishing to the host if you really wanna keep using 2003 office. Personally, I have an Office 365 subscription and I do think it's worth the cost. I've been using it since Office 2013 and not having to pay more for the most recent version is nice as well as the included One Drive storage, 1 TB per user. One license for Office 365 is $70/yr, family plan is $100/yr which includes 6 licenses.

I can't speak to the efficacy of the freebie products except for Google Docs and even Outlook.com web based apps. I hate em. They'll do in a pinch but they're just not a substitute for a real desktop client. I haven't used LibreOffice in years, but even then, I wasn't a fan. I can really only speak to the perks of using MS Office, which includes having Outlook and using MS's email service utilizing an encrypted connection between my desktop and their email servers via Microsoft Exchange. That gives me, imo, the best user experience offered with fully synchronized mail/contacts/and calendars. I don't even add phone numbers to my contacts on my cell phone directly anymore. I just create a contact in Outlook and it pops up on my cell phone within seconds - which means if i move to a new phone, all i have to do is add my email account and poof, all of my contacts are on the new phone. In fact, everything of import to me is saved to my one drive, so if i were to wipe and reinstall my OS, I loose nothing but the time needed to reinstall software. And I have the ability to access anything important anywhere I can access the interwebs.

I hope that answers some of your questions. If you want anymore details, I'll happily provide. I've been a long time beta user of MS's stuff since they started consolidating all of their services into a unified management platform that started with Xbox Live and Windows Live Mesh back in the day.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 15. Dec 19, 07:49

I think there's a possibility of a free upgrade still? I wouldn't count on it though so unless you are doing a clean install I would be wary?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

The big question now is whether Microsoft will ever turn off the code on its activation servers that dispenses digital licenses after an upgrade from an earlier Windows version. I've continued to test that scenario, and I can confirm as of September 2019 that it still works.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 15. Dec 19, 09:12

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 15. Dec 19, 01:42
As far as office is concerned. I believe 2003 was a 16 bit application. If you're going to a 64 bit OS you won't be able to run 2003 directly.
Otherwise excellent information, but this is incorrect. The last version of Microsoft Office that was available in a 16-bit version was 4.3, released in 1994. Every version since Office 95 has been 32-bit at least, and Office 2010 onwards are also available as 64-bit native apps.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 15. Dec 19, 11:10

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 15. Dec 19, 09:12
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 15. Dec 19, 01:42
As far as office is concerned. I believe 2003 was a 16 bit application. If you're going to a 64 bit OS you won't be able to run 2003 directly.
Otherwise excellent information, but this is incorrect. The last version of Microsoft Office that was available in a 16-bit version was 4.3, released in 1994. Every version since Office 95 has been 32-bit at least, and Office 2010 onwards are also available as 64-bit native apps.
You're prolly right. Almost 20 years since that was released and I was, admittedly, assuming. Still, though, Office 2003.... bleh :P
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sun, 15. Dec 19, 18:16

There is a version of Windows 10 called LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch). if you are looking for a version without Bloatware .
No Cortana no candy crush , no MS store . This is manly build for businesses . No auto updates for 3 years :) , if you choose
Here's an explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8CAiq-Cs4

Also LTSC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyhoh7u8JA

Then there's Chris Titus Tech's iso way Minimal Windows 10 Install | ISO Creation, Setup, and Config
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOsevW3KdA

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 20. Dec 19, 23:44

Thanks for the info everybody.

The LTSB version seems to apply to volume licenses only so I reckon I'll go with a standard Win10 Home job. I' can always tame the bloat later :)

Re Office 2003, yes it is 32 bit and runs fine on 64 bit Win7.

Re free upgrade to Win10, this still works as of about 2 weeks ago when I installed 10 Pro on an old PC using the 7 Pro key. But, as I said, I suspect I may need my W7 key to use in a VM.

Anyway, haven't done it yet - I may do it over the break but hopefully I will see sense and take the opportunity to actually play some damn games for a change!

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 21. Dec 19, 00:35

berth wrote:
Fri, 20. Dec 19, 23:44
Re free upgrade to Win10, this still works as of about 2 weeks ago when I installed 10 Pro on an old PC using the 7 Pro key. But, as I said, I suspect I may need my W7 key to use in a VM.
How persistent do you need your VM to be? Microsoft provide Windows 7 x86 VMs with trial licenses you can use (you just need to reset the VM to a pre-boot snapshot every 90 days or so). https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 21. Dec 19, 00:47

Just quickly pointing out in case you are interested. You can install windows 10 for free, you just have to put up with a small watermark in the bottom right corner of your screen. Other than that its the full package. Just 'skip' the activation stage when installing. I did this on 3 computers I built for family and they are all still working. Its all legit.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 21. Dec 19, 13:27

The watermark thing would just bug me tbh. :D

The VM will be run occasionally, just for specific software that doesn't work on W10 (processing GIS data and the like) so, for me, I think it's preferable to have it there and ready all of the time rather than having to fuss about resetting stuff on a regular basis.

Anyway, I've bought W10 Home now so 'tis academic :)

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 23:59

Tracker001 wrote:
Sun, 15. Dec 19, 18:16
There is a version of Windows 10 called LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch). if you are looking for a version without Bloatware .
No Cortana no candy crush , no MS store . This is manly build for businesses . No auto updates for 3 years :) , if you choose
Here's an explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8CAiq-Cs4

Also LTSC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyhoh7u8JA

Then there's Chris Titus Tech's iso way Minimal Windows 10 Install | ISO Creation, Setup, and Config
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOsevW3KdA
I really have to thank you for this tip, i've been putting of win10 forever (well i did install it when it was newly introduced, got so fed up with in less than a day that i reverted back to win7 and hadn't looked back till now) But i installed win 10 ltsc, and am at least not annoyed by it!

Again, thank you very much for this tip!
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Return to “Off Topic English”