Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:17
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:56
No doubt there will be a change in how certain goods are being manufactured and delivered in the short term. But again, it will recover after things settle down.
That's one of positive effect of COVID that I hope for.

Having 90% of product produced by one city in region is stupid.
Having 90% of product produced by one region in country is stupid.
Having 90% of product produced by one country in continent is stupid.
Having 90% of product produced by one continent on the Planet is stupid.

Having 100% of product produced by one Planet is stupid (hopefully Elon will fix it) :)

Of course I exaggerate, but more decentralized and spread production will make us more resilent to various catastrophes and will also reduce inequalities.
Megacities were a mistake - city up to 1 mil provide optimal living conditions and are more sustainable.
I will agree with you on all of those points.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:25

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:23
mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:17
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:56
No doubt there will be a change in how certain goods are being manufactured and delivered in the short term. But again, it will recover after things settle down.
That's one of positive effect of COVID that I hope for.

Having 90% of product produced by one city in region is stupid.
Having 90% of product produced by one region in country is stupid.
Having 90% of product produced by one country in continent is stupid.
Having 90% of product produced by one continent on the Planet is stupid.

Having 100% of product produced by one Planet is stupid (hopefully Elon will fix it) :)

Of course I exaggerate, but more decentralized and spread production will make us more resilent to various catastrophes and will also reduce inequalities.
Megacities were a mistake - city up to 1 mil provide optimal living conditions and are more sustainable.
I agree with you but I don't see it changing in the near future. People making choices is the same who chose to increase the gap between the 1% and everyone else.
Covid made prices rise (I went to a high end restaurant to "treat me" recently: pre covid you spent ~70 euros for dinner + a good japanese whisky; post-covid, after 3 months of lockdown, ~100 euros with no after dinner whisky). A lot of prices went higher to absorb lockdown losses, but salaries are the same. I don't believe them taking down prices to pre-crisis levels, do you?
Maybe not immediately, but they will. Competition will drive prices back down over time.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:28

I just want to congratulate America on it's greatest of achievements of breaking the record of the most confirmed cases of Covid-19 for a 24 hour period, when it was the first and only country to hit the 40,000 mark and they did it just yesterday. It's an unenviable task that beat the previous daily record of 36,400 cases from all the way back on April 24th, 2 whole months ago, which by the way is also held by the United States of America.

I hear that the vice president Mike Pence, while he is celebrating the great achievement of the high number of infections, he is a little bit saddened that the death count has went down, but is happy to announce that due to the rise in infections he expects the amount of deaths to rise in the coming weeks, so that they can keep their record on the most deaths from Covid-19, taking it to a level that no other country will probably be able to attain.

So congratulations America, but I'm sure you can do better and I expect you will do better in the coming days and weeks ahead.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:35

felter wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:28
I just want to congratulate America on it's greatest of achievements of breaking the record of the most confirmed cases of Covid-19 for a 24 hour period, when it was the first and only country to hit the 40,000 mark and they did it just yesterday. It's an unenviable task that beat the previous daily record of 36,400 cases from all the way back on April 24th, 2 whole months ago, which by the way is also held by the United States of America.

I hear that the vice president Mike Pence, while he is celebrating the great achievement of the high number of infections, he is a little bit saddened that the death count has went down, but is happy to announce that due to the rise in infections he expects the amount of deaths to rise in the coming weeks, so that they can keep their record on the most deaths from Covid-19, taking it to a level that no other country will probably be able to attain.

So congratulations America, but I'm sure you can do better and I expect you will do better in the coming days and weeks ahead.
Trump is probably thinking about closing hospitals, this way the number of covid deaths will go down, because if you die at home how can you tell if it was covid and not something else? Like poor hygiene. Or a black man (if you're white) / policeman (if you're unwhite) breaking into your house and shooting you down with a vaccine-injected bullet?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:45

This isn't the Trump or Racial Equality thread and I think that's getting a bit too silly for here now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 17:08

Sorry, just didn't think before writing.

Apparently though, cases are again on the rise in Europe too. It's a little predictable as new infected are mostly from society who didn't close during lockdown (carriers, food chain workers, ...) and little care about wearing face masks or social distancing.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 17:13

Can't help but wonder how many new cases will result from that absolute scrum on Brighton beach yesterday...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 17:49

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 17:13
Can't help but wonder how many new cases will result from that absolute scrum on Brighton beach yesterday...
I mistakenly read a different word instead of scrum
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 18:54

felter wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:28
Wasn't it actually Brasil with 500 cases more? Not that it would looks any much better for "Greatest Country on Earth".

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 19:54

It's was more tongue in cheek, satire, sarcasm than anything else but you are right Brazil has had more on two occasions, one of them though was for 54.8k but it was roughly twice as many as the day before and the day after, so I think that was just a catch up and not a proper daily count. You also have the likes of India and other countries who have not been able to do a proper testing, due to limited resources, I'm sure a few of them have also been hitting larger numbers greater than 40k.

Going back to Brazil, you actually cannot trust any of the numbers coming out of there right now, as their president is suppressing the numbers where he is not actually allowing the proper numbers to be reported, as they were making him look bad. Remember he is one of the deniers that says it doesn't exist that it is just the press causing the issue with fake news and that it is just a mild flu.

It's quite amazing that the two worse effected countries, both have leaders who are right wing racist nutters, who deny what is actually happening and don't seem to care that a large portion of their population are dying from a virus that they assure people does not exist or that everything is fine.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 23:48

felter wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 19:54
It's quite amazing that the two worse effected countries, both have leaders who are right wing racist nutters, who deny what is actually happening and don't seem to care that a large portion of their population are dying from a virus that they assure people does not exist or that everything is fine.
Perhaps amazing, but not surprising. In the same manner, Florida and Texas are dominated by right wing populations and their infection numbers are going through the roof. The usually quaint republican notion that people have the right to assemble regardless of the risk to others, is not so quaint in the face of the reality they are now facing.

As Florida Republican Marco Rubio said the other day: "everyone should just wear a damn mask". But no, such mandates are viewed by right-wing nutters, as violating their freedom in some obscure way.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 00:12

Observe wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 23:48
, Florida and Texas are dominated by right wing populations and their infection numbers are going through the roof
oh yes, did someone post the links yet?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... 9-n1232233
The governors of Florida and Texas closed down the bars Friday to slow down the spread of the coronavirus that has been rampaging at record levels through their states.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered the bar shutdown as the state health department reported 8,942 new COVID-19 cases, shattering the previous record of 5,508 set just two days ago.
With Friday's tally, Florida now has reported nearly 123,000 coronavirus case, with more than 32,000 of them confirmed in just the last seven days.

Back in April, when states like New York were being battered by COVID-19 while Florida was reporting far fewer cases, DeSantis claimed victory over the virus while on a visit with President Donald Trump at the White House.

"Everyone in the media was saying Florida would be like New York or Italy and that has not happened," DeSantis said. "We had a tailored and measured approach that not only helped our numbers be way below what anybody predicted, but also did less damage to our state going forward."

so here I am wondering, I thought people were ok with "few" deaths, in Texas? And perhaps in Florida? We really do need a good control group, come on!

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 01:54

Meanwhile, Pence is touting "truly remarkable progress" as the U.S. reaches 40,000 new coronavirus cases in the previous 24 hours, the highest daily total of the pandemic - while the EU is set to ban travelers from the United States.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 03:04

Observe wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 01:54
Meanwhile, Pence is touting "truly remarkable progress" as the U.S. reaches 40,000 new coronavirus cases in the previous 24 hours, the highest daily total of the pandemic - while the EU is set to ban travelers from the United States.
Next thing they will say, they did the best job than anyone out there and the result was inevitable anyways.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 08:30

Observe wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 01:54
Meanwhile, Pence is touting "truly remarkable progress" as the U.S. reaches 40,000 new coronavirus cases in the previous 24 hours
Well, by any metric that *is* truly remarkable progress, it just happens to be in the wrong direction. :)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 16:52

So yesterday when I did that post as I said later it was mainly light hearted, I made most of the pence part up as it sounded as though it was in character for him, what I didn't know was that he was going to have a press briefing later on and quite literally do what I posted. What has been reported by those attending the briefing they were shocked and quite flabbergasted by what he was saying. I'm sorry we killed 125,000 people but haven't we did a really good job in doing so. He calls himself a Christian, I call him the Anti-Christ.

On a side not I also heard yesterday the number of 45,000 for infections and I thought they had got it wrong as it was only 40,000, turns out the 45,000 was the number of infections being reported for yesterday, 45,300 to be more exact. So 85,300 infections in two days, I remember them making a song and dance when America hut the 100,000 infections, and now they are basically doing it every two days. And Pence is patting himself on the back for a job well done.

Meanwhile trump is demanding that the Supreme court kills off Obamacare, at a time when it is needed the most, when unemployment has gone through the roof and people are suffering from a nasty virus, Trump wants to remove their medical protection, he wants to leave them to their suffering. Not just that, he then goes and reveals another stupid executive order to protect racists statues from being removed, which is more protection than he is giving to the living population of America, who are in dire need of some kind of sane leadership at this time of hurting.

And now due to the rapid rise in infections in some of the states, they are now having to re-shut pubs, bars and restaurants among others and their owners are complaining, but you knew what, I have no sympathy for them as they have no one but themself and their greed to blame. If they had just held back it would not be as bad as it is going to get but no they just had to get up and running making money again.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 18:21

felter wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 16:52
If they had just held back it would not be as bad as it is going to get but no they just had to get up and running making money again.
Well, according to Pence, the U.S. States Are Opening Up “Safely And Responsibly”. Even now, there are plenty of Trump supporters who think the whole covid thing is just a plot by the deep state hidden government, comprising Hillary Clinton, Obama and others who conservatives demonize for a variety of imagined reasons. Unlike right-wing conspiracy theories, covid-19 is actually real. I think they are having a really hard time wrapping their heads around that.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 23:17

So how do they explain the 2.5 million infections and 125 thousand deaths, or do they think those are just made up numbers.

Something else that I was reading the other day there. There are consequences of surviving the virus, and UK doctors are getting worried that a lot of covid-19 patients will suffer from lung scarring damage called pulmonary fibrosis. this is not a nice thing to have and there is no known cure basically sufferers can't do anything without running out of breath.

thousands could be left with lung damage.

I do wonder how a lot of those Americans that have survived the virus will be able to pay for medical treatment, if Trump gets his way.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 23:41

felter wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 23:17
I do wonder how a lot of those Americans that have survived the virus will be able to pay for medical treatment, if Trump gets his way.
You may wonder, but I don't think Trump has the mental capacity to wonder such things. His "very stable genius" mind seems unable to reach beyond his perplexing hatred of Obama and Hillary. Regarding health care, his position seems to be that everyone will love their private insurance once we pull the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) out from under them. Never mind that Obamacare was enacted in the first place, because of the deplorable state of the for-profit American health care system.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 28. Jun 20, 11:41

felter wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 23:17
Something else that I was reading the other day there. There are consequences of surviving the virus, and UK doctors are getting worried that a lot of covid-19 patients will suffer from lung scarring damage called pulmonary fibrosis. this is not a nice thing to have and there is no known cure basically sufferers can't do anything without running out of breath.
That's something I'm curious about - nothing is said, if there are or there is any pernament health dammage after COVID.

If there are - this would be great argument for people to stick to restrictions - because this would be a proof, that it's not just more severe flu.
I there are none, then there is no reson to continue the lockdown.

Return to “Off Topic English”