Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: China Coronavirus

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 28. Mar 20, 06:19

Maybe Trump will order the Roosevelt to remain at sea so the number of cases in the US doesn't go up. :roll:
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 28. Mar 20, 11:47

RegisterMe wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 20:15
pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 16:06
felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 13:54
Yeah great videos, but all of those people they are moaning about, what is the reasoning they are giving that it's okay for them to be out and about, it's because they say I'm not old and or I don't have an underlying health condition so I'll be okay. Just where do you think they got that idea from, where do you think the idea that you will be okay if you're not old and have health issues, it's because the press keeps on mentioning it every damn time they mention a new death, they always have underlying health issues and they always mention it.
Actually, the most recent news I saw said that a 21-year-old with *no* underlying health condition died of the virus a couple of days ago...
iirc the report I saw said that her aunt said that she had no underlying health issues. I doubt they've had time to do an autopsy yet (and they will, given her age). So whilst we obviously can't rule out COVID-19 being the sole cause of her death, I suspect that at the moment we can't say categorically that it was.

EDIT: Actually I think it was her mum that said she had no underlying health issues. Still.....
@pkjnibbs - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 19-related

She had a heart attack.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 01:43

So Trump has been talking about Quarantining New York and possibly other states, could be a good idea if it had been done several weeks ago, now it is just a waste of time. Why do I say that, well check out the map below:

That is the current state of confirmed infections in America. Hands up if anyone thinks that quarantining a state now will help either slow down or stop the spread of the virus to the rest of America. personally I think it is too little too late. It's like everything Trump does, it seems to be at least two weeks after when it should have been done. Looking at the map it would probably be a better idea to quarantine the less infected states to keep the infected out, saying there are only a couple of states left that have only a small amount of infected Montana seems to be about the only one.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 04:03

If the map is any indication, Mexico should do their damndest to keep Americans out of their country.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 05:37

There was something the other day there about Mexico not wanting Americans to visit Mexico due to the virus.

I've been trying to think on what America can do now to try and stop the spread of the virus and to be honest, I can't think on anything that would work. It is so far gone and widespread that even locking down the whole country wouldn't work any more. It looks like the amount of deaths doubles every 2 to 3 days and that's for countries that are in lockdown, going by that and the way things are looking for the US, they could possibly have a higher rate. I would speculate that by this time next week the dead count for America is going to be around 15 thousand. By a week on Monday or Tuesday at the latest it will be around the 30 thousand mark. Two weeks from today you are looking at over 100,000 dead in America alone. When you put that into perspective, the current total deaths for the whole world is currently sitting at just under 31K, I'm saying America will potentially have that count in a little over a week.

Right now though I think India is probably going to get it even worse. They don't have the money or resources to fight it, along with the part there are 1.3 billion Indians all crammed into a relatively small space, while their Government doesn't know what to do or even how to do it and a population that can't do what they are being told to do. It all makes for a mix of a spectacular catastrophe on a grand scale.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 05:58

We're definitely going to be in this for the long haul, and it's definitely going to get worse long before it gets better. I just hope people listen to actual real experts on how to mitigate this as much as possible and not, say, orange stained buffoons. I'm sure there will be those that choose to be good little lemmings and put others and themselves at risk unnecessarily. I can only hope that karma and Darwinism quickly limits their ability to negatively impact people's well being. As for everyone else, if, collectively, we realize this isn't just about ourselves and do all we can to limit the spread of this virus, we can weather this storm with as few needless deaths as possible.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 06:38

There is something like 42% of Americans that think that Donald J Trump is dong a good job when it comes to the virus, so a lot of American are listening to what he is saying, and not what they should be listening too.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 00:13

felter wrote:
Sun, 29. Mar 20, 06:38
There is something like 42% of Americans that think that Donald J Trump is dong a good job when it comes to the virus, so a lot of American are listening to what he is saying, and not what they should be listening too.
Would be worthwhile checking the number of Americans identifying as Republican ;)

Yes, I think they're *THAT* partisan in the US.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 01:47

I found this little video on YouTube that shows the basics on how a virus spreads and how different scenarios play out. While what he is showing is not 100% accurate not enough data in his simulations, it does show what the different ideas are and the thinking behind them. Also wastes some time, which most people have to spare right now.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 05:34

if the death toll finishes at or below 100,000, "we all will have done a very good job".
I wonder who could say something as stupid as that.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 08:13

felter wrote:
Mon, 30. Mar 20, 05:34
if the death toll finishes at or below 100,000, "we all will have done a very good job".
Sounds like something an egocentric jackass would say that's more interested in patting himself on the back than saving lives.
rebellionpac.com

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 09:53

felter wrote:
Mon, 30. Mar 20, 05:34
Depends upon how they're basing the count to be honest? I mean, you've not expressed prior concern about the 12,000-61,000 deaths per year in the US from the flu and demanded seasonal shut downs of an entire nation? Put that into some perspective, the next quote helps...
He said the decision to extend social distancing was made after he heard that "2.2 million people could have died if we didn't go through with all of this", adding that if the death toll could be restricted to less than 100,000 "we all together have done a very good job".
So your ire would be that they could have prevented any? Probably. It is surprising that if they knew all this in advance (given the effect on some nations) that they dragged feet or failed to act quicker. Does flu get a shut down? no, because that many deaths when sweeping a nation are deemed acceptable? A way of life? It's always been? Well - have to put into perspective the 2.2 million by coronavirus to see that 12-60k per year is "okay", as it's such a small death rate and undoubtedly those who are literally about to pop their clogs anyway.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 15:10

I did a long post on this but I deleted it and changed it to just say.

Patting yourself on the back for even 1 death being acceptable for any reason is wrong, let alone doing it for 100K deaths.

On a side not. I finally got my letter from the NHS basically telling me I'm screwed if I catch the virus. So I'm to self isolate and not to see anyone that I don't have to for at least the next 12 weeks. But it also opens up doorways for getting certain things, for example: I can get my groceries specially delivered, no long waiting queues for me, also lets me get my meds delivered. I don't need either right now but it's good thing to have that I can call on if the need arises.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 16:08

Good luck Felter, stay healthy!
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 16:43

I'm not gonna argue that Trump could have prevented any Americans from contracting the virus or dying as a result. But I will argue the steps he took were woefully insufficient as his primary concern was his public perception and insistence on being 'right' instead of the safety of the American people.

Even as of today, he has yet to use the authority of his office to do some tangible good to get hospitals the resources they need to combat this virus, instead he's shirked his responsibility and forced states into bidding wars with product distributors. But oh no, let's make sure Trump's signature is on a check going out to folks instead of disbursement clerks! That's worth time and effort!

<Very ill-considered and poor taste additional comment removed. Alan Phipps>
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 17:02

Good news in the UK, if you are on a capped landline internet connection. All the main ISP's have removed the cap so you can download to your heart content without the worry of running out of your download limit. I suspect there are still limits on things like P2P and over use so don't go over board. Check you provider for more information. Note this is for landlines only, mobile limits are still in play.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 19:55

Here is a good one to watch if you want some correct and important information on the Covid-19 virus. The guy knows what he is talking about. pjknibbs while I recommend watching the whole video, just for you at least watch from here as he explains how it's caught, but more importantly how long it can survive outside the body.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 05:09

I have an acquaintance who works for red cross, mainly they help other disabled people get to hospital doctor appointments that sort of thing (which you didn't need to know). They were on the phone yesterday to tell us to be wary, as there are people in the area knocking in doors and saying they work for the red cross and they are out checking up on people to make sure they are okay, while offering to do virus tests to make sure they don't have the virus. Of course they don't have anything to do with red cross, they are just trying to get into peoples houses to rob them. There are some sick people in the world and I hope they catch these ones sooner rather than later.

So just a heads up, no one is just going to turn up at your door offering to help you out, so don't trust anyone cold calling that you don't know personally, even then be cautious, just say no thanks close the door and phone the police.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 10:55

I don't quite understand why certain people's belief in God* think it exempts them from the need for common sense.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11966020

Is it so difficult to comprehend that gathering people together when there's a contagion that can kill going around is likely to lead to additional deaths?

*Yes, I know atheists can be numpties too...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 15:10

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 10:55
I don't quite understand why certain people's belief in God* think it exempts them from the need for common sense.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11966020

Is it so difficult to comprehend that gathering people together when there's a contagion that can kill going around is likely to lead to additional deaths?

*Yes, I know atheists can be numpties too...
It's an interesting phenomenon. Back when hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas, preacher Pat was on the TV trying to raise shields to protect the Carolinas from harm. Didn't work, obviously. It's always "Save me jeebus!" But when natural disasters strike say California, it's "god's wrath".
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”