Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Re: China Coronavirus

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 18:49

possible Sunday or Monday, US will hit 300k cases.

But in truth, the true number will be far higher. And I think that will go for the UK as well. Especailly as while the government wants to ramp up the numbers tested, I'm not really sure that can easy be achieved. But there is still no light at the end of the tunnel.

There is also problems with Italy, and they need more financial help, With the UK no longer going to full the EU coffers, only a handful of countries will be able to support the total pot. This could very well end up straining the EU, and might even split it. (I still think the way that the EU is now, is a very bad idea, too many countries in, and not all are able to support the EU money wise. Italy been one. At the end of the day, its going to be bad for every country, and may end up reshaping relationships and memberships.
=

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:11

The Uk may end with stronger links with the EU than is being vocalised and hopefully a more amenable solution for Brexit.... I for one am an European at heart and not American.... No slur intended, just different culture and ideological backgrounds.
It is still a little early to see the results of a more strict adherence to social distancing.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:47

my prediction came sooner then I thought,

US
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

And Spain and Italy are neck and neck, while Italy has more deaths. This virus is certainly doing a lot of damaged.
=

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:55

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 18:49
There is also problems with Italy, and they need more financial help, With the UK no longer going to full the EU coffers, only a handful of countries will be able to support the total pot. This could very well end up straining the EU, and might even split it. (I still think the way that the EU is now, is a very bad idea, too many countries in, and not all are able to support the EU money wise. Italy been one. At the end of the day, its going to be bad for every country, and may end up reshaping relationships and memberships.
Taking exception to the "the UK no longer going to fill the EU coffers", because that is bollocks if I may be honest. The issue right now is the same as in the 2008 crisis. EU will help any country, but only if they abide to the fiscal policies dictated by Germany, Netherlands and Belgium among others, where debt have to be rein in and budgets to be balanced between income and spending, pretty reasonable if you ask me.

What it is not reasonable is creating a new debt mechanism as Spain and others are asking for, with the most wealthy countries of Europe as the underwriters.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:15

Germany isn't as strong as it was, these articles might help.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/italy ... 2020-03-10

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronav ... e-germany/

If Italy isn't helped, it could very well see it fall out of the EU, with a massive debt to boot. Italy should never have been made a member of the EU. And right now, it needs a huge amount of money to get back on its feet, and I'm not really sure the EU can or will bail it out, not without risking a cascade. And Germany isn't too good either, as china is / was the biggest importer. But that now will have more or less bee cut. And lets not forget Germany's government isn't doing too good. But if other EU countries also start asking for handouts, someone will have to foot the bill. So yes, from one country, it could start a cascade. I think the EU is made up of too many countries, and this virus will end up straining relations between the main member states. Of course, they don'#t want to see the EU collapse. But maybe it will be better if the EU project is scraped and something different put in its place? or forgot about the EU and go back to single countries once more?

But the virus will end up either destroying the EU or strengthen ties, but I think the former is more likely, Especially when it comes to Italy.
=

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:59

OK, all good stuff to consider but EU stability speculation is not really on the Covid-19 topic. Many countries in and outside the EU will need to consider their futures after Covid and may need assistance and sympathetic treatment from those that are then better-placed to do so. Moving on.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:52

Chips wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:13
felter wrote:
Thu, 2. Apr 20, 15:49
As for them doing testing, just the news story from the NHS today that they are only being able to do 13,000 daily tests, when they should be doing 25,000 daily tests, due to them not being supplied with the test kits from the government. So 12,000 people a day that should be tested aren't being tested, leads to the question just how many of those 12,000 have the virus and are not being officially counted. So unfortunately I speak the truth, sorry about that if you don't like it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52149832

Again, actual news reports do not support your opinion.
How have the government's promises evolved?
At first, 10,000 tests were promised by the end of March, rising to 25,000 by the end of April. Now the government has quadrupled its pledge to 100,000. It didn't quite meet its first pledge, breaking the 10,000 mark two days late on 2 April.

Are these problems being addressed?
At first, only a small number of public health laboratories were being used to do coronavirus tests. In the past fortnight, this was extended to a further 40 NHS labs around the UK. Now the government is saying it will start to use the lab capacity of private companies to carry out coronavirus tests. The UK has a large pharmaceutical and biomedical industry whose capacity could "easily" allow the country to do many more tests than it is now, according to Dr Rupert Beale, who has been involved in developing a diagnostic test for coronavirus at the Francis Crick Institute, which will be made available to NHS staff in the area. But so far, this industry hasn't been tapped into, he said.

As well as labs, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the government would now call on UK-based "pharmaceutical giants" GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca to make the reagents necessary to carry out the tests. The UK has faced problems getting hold of the relevant reagents, which have been in high global demand. This has been a global problem, but some countries were in a better position than others.
I mean, criticising isn't an issue. What is an issue is just plain making things up or misrepresenting. You don't have to do that. Yes, they missed their 10k target by 2 days, but the 25k target was end of April - so there isn't "12000 not being tested that should".
Don't like the timescale? Believe it should have been earlier? Absolutely fine to say. Bad decisions not to ramp it up faster, not to immediately get all labs involved instead of trying to keep it centralised to a few? Not realising the numbers that'd be required and ordering chemicals and more in advance? Very bad. All this is definitely worth stating. Definitely a very valid critique.

Say they're missing huge numbers of tests when they never claimed to have it done at this point? That's just misrepresentation. Stop it - it's unnecessary and will always undermine and reduce actual valid criticisms or things to focus upon.

Not found your claim about a bbc article outlining what you say about doctors and death certificates though. No idea if it's true or not, but the article I linked about inaccuracies in the death counts (and the revisions of their numbers) does cover many angles and is available at present; it outlines why the numbers differ, whereas for your conspiracy theory currently you've offered nothing.
I just want to point out I never said that the government said they would be doing 25,000 tests a day, I said the NHS said they needed to do 25,000 tests a day, but they couldn't do that because the government was only supplying enough test kits for 13,000 tests per day I underlined it for you to look at again.

There is no point in doing the tests in a month time when they are needed right now, I will also point out that the government has also said that the peak will be before the end of the month, so what's the point of doing most the testing after the fact. Not just that, if you read that news story you may have picked up on the point that it is very doubtful that there is enough resources in the country to do that kind of testing. What I would like to know is where they got that number from what kind of evidence are they using to get to that number, personally I think he just pulled the number from his butt to try and appease.

The death certificate thing. It is well known government policy that the only deaths of people who pass away in hospital are included in death count, that is policy, it has been mentioned numerous times in many different news articles from many different new agency's including the BBC (next time I see it I will post it). There were 13 deaths in a care home in Scotland in the past week, which are being attributed to the covid-19 virus, but here's the thing, they were never tested because they only test people in hospital. So even though it is suspected that they died from the covid-19 virus, probably as they had the symptoms and it will probably be on their death certificates, they will probably never be counted as a victim of the virus. That is just one news story among many, I have not made it up you can read it on the BBC. So how many others are there out there, that are also not being counted and probably never will. I can't find the story either as I said it was on that ticker thing that is continually updating, there has probably been several hundred news stories since that so it's not easy to find or link to, or I would have done. Just look at it from 22.00 to 23.00 there were 6 new news stories posted on it, and that other one was from a week or so ago so if there are 6 news articles an hour, you are looking at over 1000 per week, good luck finding it.

I keep saying I'm not making this stuff up, I just wish I was just like I wish I could go out and do my own shopping, and I hate shopping.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 13:31

felter wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 01:40
The problem is there is no other way to do it. Comparing how one country is doing over another is the only way to know how one country or the other is actually doing. Especially as different countries approach dealing with the virus in different ways. For example: Spain, Italy even the UK are in total lockdown, while America is, I honestly don't know what America is doing it seems to be all over the place, with no sort of a plan at all, where the advice seems to change every other hour.
I live in Roseville California and I can give you an idea of my life here.

We are social distancing where it is encouraged to be at least 6 feet away from others. All non essential business are shut down. I am still trying to develop myself as a photographer so I deliver pizza. This is "essential" simply because I offer a safer method of getting food than going to the grocery store and am still able to feed my kids because we would be starving through this without the tips. I still do not have the money for rent or a car payment, but I am getting food money. When I deliver pizza I put it on the ground on top of a hot bag. I then knock on the door and stand back more than 6 feet while they get the food and leave the money on the bag. I disinfect my hands in the car and wash my hands back at the store remembering to not touch my face and the bag gets disinfected after each trip. At the grocery store I keep my distance from others. I don't leave the house for anything else. We have a 9 pm curfew and I have a paper sating my essential employee status to keep form getting a fine and told to go home.

I think that its like this in most of America but it is hard to tell as each city, county, and state are making their own policies based on local needs. The federal government is macro managing and the states and counties are micromanaging. There does not seem to be as much collaborations a I would like to see unfortunately.

Some things that I see locals do that unnerves me is carelessly wearing gloves and mask without any concept of how they protect. Gloves defeat their purpose if you do not change them after each task and mask only help prevent you from spreading the virus if you have it and offer some protections if caring for someone with it. A mask worn like an accessory is actually is kind of dangerous. Meanwhile hospitals are running out of both. This is another example of how thoughtless hording of supplies is endangering our communities and in by doing so, endangering ourselves under the illusion that hording is protecting ourselves.

This is just one spec of land in America but hopefully it gives you an idea with an individual perspective. I find that helps. Sorry if it seemed too personal.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 16:25

felter wrote:
Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:52
There is no point in doing the tests in a month time when they are needed right now, I will also point out that the government has also said that the peak will be before the end of the month, so what's the point of doing most the testing after the fact. Not just that, if you read that news story you may have picked up on the point that it is very doubtful that there is enough resources in the country to do that kind of testing. What I would like to know is where they got that number from what kind of evidence are they using to get to that number, personally I think he just pulled the number from his butt to try and appease.
At the start of your paragraph I'm wondering whether you understand what is involved in testing (or not). Later on it appears you realise it's not as simple as providing a kit and it gives you an instant result. Should it all have started earlier? Yes. But it is what it is due to past poor decisions - but they can't suddenly click their fingers and start testing 25,000 a day. Well, they may able to collect 25,000 samples a day, but getting them actually processed? Nope - and the reasons are outlined if you read the article.

One assumes they get the numbers from knowing how many existing labs can process in a day, how many labs that'll now be employed to do it could therefore process in a day (extrapolation), the knowledge of transportation times and administration associated with the tests, reagents availability and so on. They actually have some data and labs to talk to in order to determine that and base their decisions off - but I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking the upper bound estimate as the number they're hoping. So what do you have exactly to base your opinion upon? :gruebel: I get you believe there's a huge conspiracy to make the Govt look better by faking numbers. I see absolutely no gain to do this, and with the millions of people working in the public sector involved, incredibly dangerous game to play. Unless you think the medical profession is sympathetic to the Tories of course!
That is just one news story among many, I have not made it up you can read it on the BBC
You have a remarkable reading comprehension issue. THEY HAVE CLEARLY STATED ONLY TESTED INDIVIDUALS ARE INCLUDED IN OFFICIAL STATISTICS. THIS HAS NOT BEEN COVERED UP OR HIDDEN AWAY. THE GOVT AND MEDIA HAVE STATED THIS WHENEVER REPORTING THE FIGURES - THE ARTICLE REASONED WHY THIS HAPPENS THAT I LINKED. Clear now? Its not a conspiracy, it's what they call "confirmed".

Just like from the very start the numbers of CONFIRMED cases are reported. The actual number of people who've been infected is likely far greater as there are individuals who show no symptoms. This includes those advised that showing symptoms were to stay at home and only seek medical help if the symptoms were overwhelming them (leading to some die at home as they didn't seek help).

Again, CONFIRMED. Here's a link to an article (again) that says "confirmed". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274 - just like every single time they publish the numbers... it says "confirmed".

So why do you seem to believe you should be mixing unconfirmed deaths with confirmed infections? If you go for unconfirmed deaths, then what are you hoping to achieve by maintaining only confirmed infections? Indeed, what are you hoping to achieve full stop? The problem there is obviously the word unconfirmed. The statistics will mean sod all... borderline useless. Unless you've an agenda of course, or believe someone else is attempting to make things look better. Your choice. But the reasons for only using CONFIRMED cases are strong, solid and reliable. So what is your reasons for unconfirmed?

Should be noted I've not read whether they'll revise if conducting an autopsy though. Then again, not searched. That could revise the numbers for you.

BTW there have been deaths where they've had coronavirus, but it wasn't the cause. They're also not included in the statistics. Should they be? They did test positive, but it wasn't complications or the virus that killed them.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 08:44

Gah, I see Boris Johnson has been hospitalised. - As with everyone who is suffering, I wish him all the best.

And, yes, I do imagine he will get a private room, but that would be a security consideration rather than an elitist one, although you just know some will argue otherwise.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 09:28

Boris will no longer be taking part in any COBRA meetings, So I think he is taking a step back now. And also some others inside No 10 has also fallen ill.

While I dont really think he is a good PM, I wish him all the best.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 15:25

Chips wrote:
Sun, 5. Apr 20, 16:25
felter wrote:
Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:52
At the start of your paragraph I'm wondering whether you understand what is involved in testing (or not). Later on it appears you realise it's not as simple as providing a kit and it gives you an instant result. Should it all have started earlier? Yes. But it is what it is due to past poor decisions - but they can't suddenly click their fingers and start testing 25,000 a day. Well, they may able to collect 25,000 samples a day, but getting them actually processed? Nope - and the reasons are outlined if you read the article.

One assumes they get the numbers from knowing how many existing labs can process in a day, how many labs that'll now be employed to do it could therefore process in a day (extrapolation), the knowledge of transportation times and administration associated with the tests, reagents availability and so on. They actually have some data and labs to talk to in order to determine that and base their decisions off - but I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking the upper bound estimate as the number they're hoping. So what do you have exactly to base your opinion upon? :gruebel: I get you believe there's a huge conspiracy to make the Govt look better by faking numbers. I see absolutely no gain to do this, and with the millions of people working in the public sector involved, incredibly dangerous game to play. Unless you think the medical profession is sympathetic to the Tories of course!
That is just one news story among many, I have not made it up you can read it on the BBC
You have a remarkable reading comprehension issue. THEY HAVE CLEARLY STATED ONLY TESTED INDIVIDUALS ARE INCLUDED IN OFFICIAL STATISTICS. THIS HAS NOT BEEN COVERED UP OR HIDDEN AWAY. THE GOVT AND MEDIA HAVE STATED THIS WHENEVER REPORTING THE FIGURES - THE ARTICLE REASONED WHY THIS HAPPENS THAT I LINKED. Clear now? Its not a conspiracy, it's what they call "confirmed".

Just like from the very start the numbers of CONFIRMED cases are reported. The actual number of people who've been infected is likely far greater as there are individuals who show no symptoms. This includes those advised that showing symptoms were to stay at home and only seek medical help if the symptoms were overwhelming them (leading to some die at home as they didn't seek help).

Again, CONFIRMED. Here's a link to an article (again) that says "confirmed". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274 - just like every single time they publish the numbers... it says "confirmed".

So why do you seem to believe you should be mixing unconfirmed deaths with confirmed infections? If you go for unconfirmed deaths, then what are you hoping to achieve by maintaining only confirmed infections? Indeed, what are you hoping to achieve full stop? The problem there is obviously the word unconfirmed. The statistics will mean sod all... borderline useless. Unless you've an agenda of course, or believe someone else is attempting to make things look better. Your choice. But the reasons for only using CONFIRMED cases are strong, solid and reliable. So what is your reasons for unconfirmed?

Should be noted I've not read whether they'll revise if conducting an autopsy though. Then again, not searched. That could revise the numbers for you.

BTW there have been deaths where they've had coronavirus, but it wasn't the cause. They're also not included in the statistics. Should they be? They did test positive, but it wasn't complications or the virus that killed them.
Once again read the link you are using go down the page to the part it says Half of coronavirus dead over 80, now underneath there is a little graph the part you want to look at is under that graph where it says and I quote.
The UK's overall death figure, which is confirmed cases reported up to 17:00 BST the previous day, only includes people who died in hospital and tested positive for coronavirus.

It does not include deaths in the community, for example in care homes, or people who have died in their own homes.

This means that the true death toll will be higher.
The last line is probably the most important one for you also remember it is taken from your link This means that the true death toll will be higher.

Which is what I have been saying all along and for some reason you keep denying, the death numbers are higher than is being reported, the numbers being reported are false and always will be, it is fact, it is in fact government policy. If they want to know and report the true numbers why are they not testing suspected coronavirus deaths, why are they just ignoring them, why do they not want to include these deaths. It doesn't matter if the word official is being used when the actual number is higher. Official number just means this is how many the government is willing to tell us, it doesn't mean that is the factual number, all the official number is are the amount of deaths that have happened in a hospitals, even if someone has been tested and dies anywhere else they are not included in the official numbers. How is it that the official number is the true real number when someone that is known to have died from the coronavirus is being missed out just because they weren't in hospital.

I never said it was possible to just do 25,000 tests over night, but my point is that it is all smoke and mirrors when they say, hey were only doing so much the now but we will be doing more in a months time, a time when they are not needed the most. It's just a diversionary tactic that idiots fall for thinking it's a good thing, thumping their chests and going, YAY we'll be doing 100,000 tests a day, while in reality it is pretty much pointless. It is only being said to take the message away from the lack of testing that is being done now. It doesn't matter if we can or can't do it, as we just aren't doing it, we are not and have never been prepared for something like this. There is just no point to saying that we will be doing something when it is not needed the most, to cover up for the present when it is needed the most. There is also no point in saying it at all when it has been reported and shown we just don't have the amount of resources to do that sort of testing at any time, I doubt they will ever be doing that amount of tests everyday if ever. We will see but if we do there won't be any great need like there is right now.

If they had went we are trying to do as many tests as we can and are doing more everyday I would go great, but no they have to go we'll be doing 100,000 by the end of the month, while with the same breath going, the peak will be around the 14/15 of April, 2 weeks before the end of the month. the only reason they said it, is because it sounds good makes them look good makes them feel like they are doing the greatest job in the world, while in reality they are just about coping.

I'm sorry of you don't like that I don't blindly follow or believe anything that comes out of a governments mouth piece, that I don't have any respect or trust for them, but they have never done anything to deserve that from me. Boris Johnson is a compulsive liar that will say and do anything for power, he does not care so long as he gets what he wants, that's all that matters to him, so why would anyone want to believe anything that comes from either him or his government.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 16:06

Never really read any of the full posts above, but I do understand that non-hospital deaths lag around 5 days behind the NHS reports, as death certificates take around that long to propagate through to the ONS. - The one thing I'm unsure of is if the deaths announced each day also include the retrospective deaths from 5 days prior, outside hospitals. *IF* these non-hospital deaths never take part in the official daily figures then, yes, the figures are inaccurate.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 16:28

In the UK at least, it seems that non-hospital testing after death is only carried out on the directions of a coroner or pathologist (ie not just a GP) and it uses pretty much the same swab method, kit and laboratory processing for testing whether the virus is active in the deceased as is used by the living. I suspect that many in-home or in-house deaths where Covid-19 is suspected but not absolutely identified as the outright cause will not even be tested and so not fully reported and counted in the statistics.

To be honest, I don't think such statistical detail really matters at a strategic level as the precautions and actions relating to the pandemic would be pretty much the same whatever the death toll. What will be a game-changer is the general availability of an accurate test that says whether someone has had the virus and is now immune (or not) and so can potentially be told whether they can get on with things.

<I think it is also time that we took 'China' out of the thread title and have done so.>

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 16:34

felter wrote:
Mon, 6. Apr 20, 15:25
Which is what I have been saying all along and for some reason you keep denying, the death numbers are higher than is being reported, the numbers being reported are false and always will be, it is fact, it is in fact government policy.
I think the basic disconnect here, and I may be misrepresenting Chips' position but this is how I understand it: he (and I, for that matter) do not consider the under-reporting of Covid-19 deaths to be "in fact government policy", but a natural consequence of the way these things are measured by non-governmental organisations. If someone in their 80s is found dead in their home natural causes are the obvious suspect--you would have to test them to see if they'd had coronavirus, but (a) why would anyone bother doing that if there was nothing suspicious about the death and (b) how would it help you to know if they *did*? They're already dead, I would personally rather see NHS resources going towards testing people who can be saved.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 16:47

As I understand it, a coroner would report it as a 'suspected coronavirus related death,' but would not be in a position to confirm that unless (as mentioned by someone else) foul play was suspected. - *IF* all these suspected deaths are included in the figures, then there's an argument to say it could also inflate the real figure. - No one is trying to claim the figures are being manipulated / underreported are they? That would be a ridiculous assertion, far beyond your typical conspiracy theory. - There is absolute unarguable evidence trail to show exactly how many deaths are as a result of (+suspect of being) Covid-19. - The only way such a thing could be manipulated is if coroners across the country were part of the conspiracy.

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 17:44

Coroner's inquests don't require "foul play". For instance anybody who dies young, in hospital, with no readily apparent cause, will have a coroner's inquest.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 18:23

I'm mixing my people up... - A death certificate isn't created by a coroner, but by a doctor. Damn, of course! - Sorry. When my father died, there was a coroner's report, and that was fixed in my mind.

But my central point was it takes death certificates around 5 days to be entered on record, thus the delay in reporting above and beyond the NHS reposts of in-hospital Covid-19 deaths,

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 18:29

No argument there :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 23:15

Although many home/house death certificates submitted by GPs cannot be definitive about Covid-19 being the direct cause (versus other respiratory illnesses for example) without a post-mortem test that needs coroner intervention, and which I suspect would be relatively rarely applied in these (previous and current) times of pressure on testing and resources.

Return to “Off Topic English”