Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 03:54

@felter, I'm curious. Track back to the beginning of 2020, before COVID-19, and, given the choice, which country in the world would you have chosen to live in?

Track forwards to now, December 2020, having had nearly a year of COVID-19 play out, and, given the choice, which country would you choose to live in?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 04:44

I'm more than happy where I am right now. I do like to go to different places, though I haven't done any travelling for some time now, I've been all over Europe but I've never wanted to move somewhere else. I've never understood why anyone would want to move to the US, that is probably the last country in the world I would want to live in. If I had to pick somewhere I would probably pick New Zealand, or maybe Canada. To be honest, I doubt any of them would want me either.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 09:00

felter wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 04:44
I'm more than happy where I am right now. I do like to go to different places, though I haven't done any travelling for some time now, I've been all over Europe but I've never wanted to move somewhere else. I've never understood why anyone would want to move to the US, that is probably the last country in the world I would want to live in. If I had to pick somewhere I would probably pick New Zealand, or maybe Canada. To be honest, I doubt any of them would want me either.
From my European point of view, I agree on the fact USA is one of the worst countries I'd live in.
Italy, where I live, is a really nice place to live, but not incredible to work: generally low salaries compared to skills / education and the small businesses (not talking about shops or restaurants, but more b2b business) is mostly ruled by incompetence, even if somehow Italy brags about having so many little factories and small distributed economic realities.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 11:51

Let's keep this thread Covid-related please.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 17:10

I just want to reiterate, Boris Johnson is a total and utter idiot. The headline is Boris Johnson 'hoping to avoid' national lockdown. So what is he doing to stop this from happening, absolutely nothing, actually what he is doing and promoting is the exact opposite with his lets get together and celebrate Christmas, what exactly does he think is going to happen when all of these family's get together over Christmas. The Christmas message he is sending out, contradicts everything else he is saying. There is no way another lockdown can be avoided if people are going to be gathering inside houses to celebrate Christmas together.

Time for one of my predictions, by the end of January 2021, the UK will have hut over 1,000 deaths related to covid-19 in a single day, and it will have happened on more than 1 day. Lets hope I'm wrong.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 17:27

I have to say that I agree with you on this one, felter, including your rather pessimistic prediction.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 17:37

I first want to say, I don't think they weren't getting the vaccine injection. But when you see a picture or video of lets just say Mike Pence getting the vaccine jab, that jab could be anything, just because it says Mike Pence gets the vaccine that is not evidence that he is getting the vaccine, it is just evidence that he is getting an injection. It could just be Pence getting his dayly anti-gay injection. And I'm sure at some point, the anti-vaccine patrol are going to say just that.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 18:50

It's funny, a few weeks backs there was all this moaning from the people in the north of England, complaining that they were in lockdown and London wasn't. I even read a few who went so far as saying that they wouldn't lockdown London, if it was there that had the virus level they had at the time. Move forward at least they can now say, well we have Christmas day, while London who they said wouldn't get lockdowned does just that, gets a lockdown as a Christmas present.

They are also getting a bit worried about this new strain I mentioned a few posts back, as it seems to spread a lot more easily than the old strain did with infections rising sharply, that there are now more people catching it than covid-19. In case you are interested the new strain is called VUI, doesn't have that same ring to it as Covid-19.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 05:44

You know I do feel for these people, but just what do they think can be done, do they think there is some kind of magic spell that can be said and the virus and all it's issues will just go POOF and disappear. Myself I've been stuck in my house now for 9 months, I would love to go and mingle with the rest of the world, do my own shopping, have a Christmas dinner with my family, to be able to party at new year with friends and relations, but it just aint going to happen. That's just the reality of things, maybe if others had been that little bit more cautious and obeyed the rules but they didn't and they still aren't, so we are all now left with paying the price. It's painful yes but it is the way of things, unfortunately s**t happens.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 11:07

Dear muppets from London and the other Tier 4 areas. Thank you so much for leaping aboard trains to escape the lockdown, doubtless leading to even more deaths across the UK.

Yes, there are muppets everywhere, but the Stick of Stupidity has thrashed this particular bunch of selfish halfwits more thoroughly than Madame Whip, Queen of the Dominatrices, could ever hope to manage.

All aboard the Muppet train...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 11:26

Jeez, that is just really bad & stupid.

Seems to be a large number of people thinking :
"But I'm special cos I'm a Londoner, & I don'ave to think wot I'm doing, or wot the consequences will be,
- cos I'm special"

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 12:06

exogenesis wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 11:26
Jeez, that is just really bad & stupid.

Seems to be a large number of people thinking :
"But I'm special cos I'm a Londoner, & I don'ave to think wot I'm doing, or wot the consequences will be,
- cos I'm special"
Sounds like republicans over here. Rich white guys, or even stupid ones, seem to think they know best when they're clearly idiots.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 13:04

It is not like they all decided to "be stupid" in a group, just turns out that so many other people had the very same impulsive idea that the decision became - in hindsight - unreasonable, not stupid. This reminds me of my first time in Venice (Italy) where everyone was like: "Those stupid tourists, everything is super overcrowded" until you start to notice being part of the very same problem you hate: "humans".

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 13:22

It's stupid when lives are at stake.

If one person has the new strain of Covid on that train, then a great many will by the time it reaches the destination. - And a great many will have boarded that train *because* of the London Lockdown. - They. Are. Stupid. They. Are. Selfish.

'Sorry your honour, I was just being impulsive,' doesn't wash with me, and I'm sure it won't with the families who are going to be grieving over lost loved ones as a result.

Stupid. End of.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 13:43

It is not about the impulsiveness, it is about a persons action being judged in hindsight. A person is a hero/intelligent when doing something risky works out, and utterly stupid when it doesn't.
- Walking in a supermarket saturday noon and the store is full - stupid.
+ Walking in a supermarket saturday noon and the store is empty, because everyone thought it would be full and stayed home - intelligent.
+ Redbull pilot successfully doing a stunt everyone thought would be impossible - hero.
- Redbull pilot doing a stunt everyone thought would be impossible, crashes and dies - stupid, darwin award.

Which is wrong imo because noone is stupid or intelligent but everyone is using all information (or lack thereof) at that time to make the best decision possible, which in hindsight was simply unreasonable in that case. I am definitly not going down the route to call anyone stupid.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 21:52

The thing is, the smart person would see how bad it was, turn around go home and go back later. Also for some reason these people seem to think the short delay before lockdown means it's time to get out of dodge ASAP, but that is not the idea of the gap between announcement and the lockdown starting. Nope these people are class A idiots, and there is no justification for what they are doing.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 22. Dec 20, 11:09

The EU has approved the BioNTech-Pfizer COVID vaccine now, too. Thus vaccination can still start this year.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 27. Dec 20, 16:27

https://berthub.eu/articles/posts/rever ... r-vaccine/

This is a really, really good read. Explains the biology behind it and the manufacturing process, and expresses it in "coder" language.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 29. Dec 20, 21:19

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 27. Dec 20, 16:27
https://berthub.eu/articles/posts/rever ... r-vaccine/

This is a really, really good read. Explains the biology behind it and the manufacturing process, and expresses it in "coder" language.
Thanks a lot! Finally something I can understand :mrgreen:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Return to “Off Topic English”