Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 19:18

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 9. Jan 21, 16:53

So is she? She lives in Teesdale (won't say exactly where for obvious reasons).
Where did she have it done? Darlington Memorial? - As far as I could see, they weren't one of the listed vaccination sites. - I know Newcastle was, but she couldn't travel that far. Thing is, mum had an appointment on New Year's Eve at the hospital, and we'd both half-believed she'd be called for a vaccination whilst there. Nothing was mentioned.

There's been no official communication from anyone. - I'd speak with her GP, but I can only imagine how many 'where's my vaccination?' calls they're having to field.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 19:37

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 9. Jan 21, 19:18
Thing is, mum had an appointment on New Year's Eve at the hospital, and we'd both half-believed she'd be called for a vaccination whilst there. Nothing was mentioned.
The old lady neighbour of mine who I do some shopping for had a hospital appointment for something random. She got her first jab at the time just because she was there.

I'd hope they'd follow a similar approach everywhere else. Though perhaps if things are becoming more formalised...?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 19:49

Were those with the first vaccine where the doses came in batches of almost a thousand and because of the thawing from -70' they had to be used on the day they were opened? I suppose that it might have been pot luck as to whether someone eligible was there for other reasons on just the days the vaccine batches were opened and needing to be used up.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 20:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 9. Jan 21, 19:49
Were those with the first vaccine where the doses came in batches of almost a thousand and because of the thawing from -70' they had to be used on the day they were opened? I suppose that it might have been pot luck as to whether someone eligible was there for other reasons on just the days the vaccine batches were opened and needing to be used up.
Sounds plausible, and I don't know. It's also possible, I guess, that living in London might have played a part in it.

Anyway, @Gavrushka, can your GP not tell you anything? Somebody, somewhere, must have a list. I just hope it's not kept in an outdated version of Excel :roll: .
I can't breathe.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 21:07

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 9. Jan 21, 19:18
Where did she have it done? Darlington Memorial?
Richardson Hospital in Barnard Castle.

Tolmos
x3tc

Post by Tolmos » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 21:34

The vaccines being left out and needing to be used quickly is one reason why I recommend folks make sure to focus on where they get their vaccine from. Some of the cornerstore pharmacies in my area, like Walgreens or CVS, offer vaccinations but I sometimes worry about how well companies with such a revolving door of employees would be able to do to prevent the vaccine from being left out by either a negligent or malicious employee, and then just used anyway. I'd hate to get the vaccine, think I'm good to go, and it turns out I was never protected to begin with. I'm going to do my best to get it from my regular doctor, if possible.

I'm also curious about which vaccines are available. I've heard that there are 3 total types: the first two are kind of expensive to make and require being kept at really cold temperatures, while the third is cheaper and faster to make, and easier to store. The issue with the last one is that it supposedly has a lower efficacy rate; so it would be great for getting the vaccine to places that would have a harder time getting it, but not ideal if you had a choice between it or one of the "better" ones. I'd like to find out how much of that information is accurate, because it seems like it might be valuable insight to have if you can find out which type you're about to be given.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 21:43

In my opinion, if you have a 'choice' over which vaccine you get and when, then the regional vaccine roll-out is obviously not operating at optimum capacity and rate (in the initial tranches at least). This is an international pandemic fraught with uncertainties for the future, so just trust your national medical and science experts and get yourself jabbed as soon as you can!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 22:06

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 9. Jan 21, 21:43
In my opinion, if you have a 'choice' over which vaccine you get and when, then the regional vaccine roll-out is obviously not operating at optimum capacity and rate (in the initial tranches at least). This is an international pandemic fraught with uncertainties for the future, so just trust your national medical and science experts and get yourself jabbed as soon as you can!
+1
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 9. Jan 21, 22:14

Gonna ask in person on Thursday when I take mum to hospital. I know only a 1/4 of over 80s have been vaccinated so far, and I am sure her vaccine will come soon, but it'd be nice to think she'd had it 3+ weeks before she goes in for surgery. - And that's assuming the hospitals aren't overrun, and it's delayed. - I see from the fount of all 'next slide please' that this region has a lower % of beds used by Covid patients.

There certainly seems to be an element of 'postcode' about it, but I do appreciate there's no malicious intent or inept organisation. It's simply a monument logistical operation.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 08:47

I'm worried there are those who now see the daily death figures and aggregate as just a statistic. - I remember seeing the mounting death toll really shook me in the early days, and you had very emotional reporters stumbling over their words as they related them. It feels different now. It feels like the figures have been 'Stalinised' and have become just a statistic for many to just shrug their shoulders at, or perhaps just go through the motions of 'my condolences.' I wonder if that's why adherence to the rules appears to be poorer this time. I've heard, several times, people blaming 'youngsters' for the increased R value, but I'm seeing around a third of the households around me that are simply ignoring the rules with different family members visiting and going inside.

Maybe it's different because, as far as I am aware, no one has died in my village. Maybe it's become just something we see on the news if we don't see the impact personally.

I feel stories like this by Sky News should be broadcast more often. - Imagine wondering if you were the one who passed the disease to a parent who'd just died of Covid. Imagine losing more than one parent as the couple in the story did.

I'd report my neighbour if he was to drink/drive, so maybe I should report any who are consistently ignoring the rules...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 11:35

I think in the UK the real problem is more that many people think that this second wave is just the same as the first wave in March/April and that doing pretty much what they did back then and to the same amount of rigour and compliance will eventually be just as successful as turned out in July/August.

Unfortunately it isn't and it won't.

This new strain is much more transmissable than the old one and gets in wherever there is the slightest chink in the precautions. My brother (87) contracted it while in hospital for treatment of an unrelated illness and will not survive it. The hospital where it happened is facing massive staffing issues due to some staff contracting the new strain and other exposed staff having to self-isolate just in case, and all while hospital admissions rocket.

There is a lesson in all this for the rest of us when even the medical professionals with all the right kit and support are struggling to contain and avoid the virus.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 11:43

Alan, I am so sorry to hear that. I do hope against hope that he does manage to pull through.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 16:34

Alan I'm sorry to hear about your brother, we try our best and all it takes is just one little slip up. :(

My Mother gets her jab on this coming Friday, she was a little bit surprised when I said I wouldn't be getting one as the vaccines won't work for me, so it's a waste of time me getting it.

Does anyone know if you have been vaccinated, can you still spread the virus, I would imagine that you could do.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 17:37

felter wrote:
Sun, 10. Jan 21, 16:34
...she was a little bit surprised when I said I wouldn't be getting one as the vaccines won't work for me, so it's a waste of time me getting it.
I assume this is the advice you've received from your doctor? If not then ask them; don't make assumptions. Note that even if your situation has been medically confirmed then there is still hope: currently undergoing trials is a monoclonal antibody treatment that is specifically designed to help those with compromised immune systems, for whom vaccines may not work.
felter wrote:
Sun, 10. Jan 21, 16:34
Does anyone know if you have been vaccinated, can you still spread the virus, I would imagine that you could do.
According to the NHS:
There is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus even if you have the vaccine.

This means it is important to:

• continue to follow social distancing guidance
• if you can, wear something that covers your nose and mouth in places where it's hard to stay away from other people.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 18:12

Yeah that antibody treatment is different from the vaccines. The vaccines work by boosting your immune system against the virus, the problem is that people that take immune suppressant medication, that exact medication kills off the immune system that is being boosted, so when you are given the vaccine by the time it is starting to take effect against the virus, the immune suppressants will have already destroyed it, making it a pointless venture to give it to someone on immune suppressants. The problem with the antibody treatment (a minor one) is that it doesn't last for too long, they think up to about 6 months but may be as short as 3 months, meaning that you have to be injected with those antibodies every 3 to 6 months. They also are still not sure if it will work or not and it won't be for another few months before they will have an inclination on whether it will or not, but they are quite optimistic that it will. It has been pretty well documented that the vaccines don't work for a certain class of people, most notably the most at risk to the worst the virus can throw at you. This is something you are made aware of when you start to take the meds and why every 3 moths I'm supposed to have blood works done.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 10. Jan 21, 19:25

To repeat CBJ's question, is this specifically advice you have received from your doctor or are you just assuming? NHS documentation here notes that, while some immunocompromised patients may have a suboptimal response to the vaccine and thus not be fully protected, they are a priority to receive the vaccine and there are no groups which are excluded from receiving it. As a general rule, for non-live vaccines (none of the Covid vaccines are live), the standard clinical guidance is that there's no additional risk in receiving the vaccine, and some level of protection is better than none at all.

As a side note, a recent cohort study of Covid outcomes found that hospitalised patients on immunosuppressants don't have worse outcomes than the general population. (This doesn't exclude the immunocompromised being more likely to be hospitalised, of course, but it does suggest that immunosuppressants don't automatically prevent someone from recovering from Covid.)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 13. Jan 21, 19:38

1,500+ people died of Covid-19 in the UK today. There'll be many who simply didn't need to, and doubtless some of those who died did so because their loved ones didn't follow the rules. What really hit me hardest today was watching the news, and seeing doctors and nurses in an ICU doing their utmost to save lives. They'd been doing that every day for the better part of a year. - Just as some of their patients never recover, I don't imagine many of those on the front line will ever fully recover from what they've experienced. That kinda trauma of seeing people suffocate in front you is beyond imagining.

I've a neighbour who simply justifies doing as he pleases with the phrase 'don't trust the government.' God help me, telling you how I want to respond would likely see me thrown off this forum, so I'll leave it to your imagination.

On a more positive note, the doctor's surgery has been in touch, and will soon be arranging a home visit to do mum's Covid-19 vaccination. - With any luck, it'll be done 3+ weeks before she goes in for a mastectomy.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 12:41

School friend of my daughter is a doctor working in a hospital. She tested positive, was vaccined and recovered. Now, without any symptoms, tested positive again. Conclusion: Even if you are immune to the effects of Covid you are still a carrier and spread the disease.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 14:53

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 13. Jan 21, 19:38
1,500+ people died of Covid-19 in the UK today. There'll be many who simply didn't need to, and doubtless some of those who died did so because their loved ones didn't follow the rules. What really hit me hardest today was watching the news, and seeing doctors and nurses in an ICU doing their utmost to save lives. They'd been doing that every day for the better part of a year. - Just as some of their patients never recover, I don't imagine many of those on the front line will ever fully recover from what they've experienced. That kinda trauma of seeing people suffocate in front you is beyond imagining.

I've a neighbour who simply justifies doing as he pleases with the phrase 'don't trust the government.' God help me, telling you how I want to respond would likely see me thrown off this forum, so I'll leave it to your imagination.

On a more positive note, the doctor's surgery has been in touch, and will soon be arranging a home visit to do mum's Covid-19 vaccination. - With any luck, it'll be done 3+ weeks before she goes in for a mastectomy.
ICU's usually are full of people doing their utmost to fight to save lives - prior to covid as well as during and after! They do it every single day of every single year... permanently. Just at present the ICU's are crammed to the rafters when usually they have spare capacity - and with sickness also in the workforce, the pressures must be incredible and sustained (whereas usually it's seasonal pressure - winter being way worse than summer).

There was a post doing the rounds a month ago. Something like "Your grandparents were called to fight in world wars, enduring food rations, isolation in shelters and trenches under bombs and fire. You're being called to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't F#%£ it up!". The inability for people to comply is just... baffling.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 16:31

Chips wrote:
Sun, 17. Jan 21, 14:53

There was a post doing the rounds a month ago. Something like "Your grandparents were called to fight in world wars, enduring food rations, isolation in shelters and trenches under bombs and fire. You're being called to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't F#%£ it up!". The inability for people to comply is just... baffling.
Yeah, the irony of it. - Our parents and grandparents fought and died for the freedom of the generations to follow, and now those generations are exercising that freedom to kill those who remain...

Return to “Off Topic English”