Old Timers revisited

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

PlutonianNyborg

Re: Old Timers revisited

Post by PlutonianNyborg » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:57

Hey old timers. Hows yall doing :)

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 01:17

Hi cappedup! Funny one, I ended up in New York for a while as well.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 18. Jun 20, 23:03

Will hijack this for a second. I am not exactly an oldtimer, but I have been gone for quite some time. Felt like this may be a good post to announce:

I HAVE RETURNED.

Wondering if anyone even still knows me.

Also hello acient ones.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

ClearSky

Post by ClearSky » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 06:08

Most won't recognise my current forum name. I had to sign up again when I lost my login details for my previous identity. Used to be IcarusJones (Icky). It's interesting to see so many of the old guard are still around.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 17:51

ClearSky wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 06:08
I had to sign up again when I lost my login details for my previous identity.
We can help you with that, provided you have sufficient details to prove your ownership of the old account. :)

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 23:47

ClearSky wrote:
Most won't recognise my current forum name. I had to sign up again when I lost my login details for my previous identity. Used to be IcarusJones (Icky). It's interesting to see so many of the old guard are still around.
I lurk, mostly, but I remember you, IcarusJones (and Cappedup and his barn) from my early days here.

Hang on in there!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 21. Jun 20, 05:37

mbthegreat wrote:
Fri, 12. Jun 20, 01:17
Hi cappedup! Funny one, I ended up in New York for a while as well.
Howdy. Is it time for New York based X gathering? (Without the pandemic).

I can make myself be nearby.

@clakclak
Hey there

@IcarusJones
Hey there
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

ClearSky

Post by ClearSky » Sun, 21. Jun 20, 09:30

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 17:51
ClearSky wrote:
We can help you with that, provided you have sufficient details to prove your ownership of the old account. :)
I only remember my old login name. No idea what the password was, as in those days I relied on my memory (which is fading with age). Not sure what other details could prove I am who I say I am? I remember many interesting threads, especially those with Usenko (from Australia) and Observe (who was at that time in New Zealand, as I am).

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 21. Jun 20, 14:59

PM me the registration codes for the games you have registered on that account. :)

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 09:28

I know noone, but welcome back!

Sagan
x4

Post by Sagan » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:05

Just happened to be mindlessly browsing, clicked on Egosoft Forums, Off-Topic, started reading a few posts and saw this thread.

Decided to post 'Hi Everybody' from another old timer. :goner: :)

I played X3 TC % AP for 100s of hours after modding it into next century. It really is excellent. I do own X4 (bought it on GOG) but I could not get into it. Some of the design decisions and the AWFUL interface made me give up after a few hours. Looks beautiful but I did not find it fun to play. Maybe in the future I'll feel different.

Anyway, from an old timer and an ex-Mad Goner.... HELLO!!!

(waves at Oldman) Nice to see you're still around my friend :)
I'd much rather regret the things I've done, than regret those I haven't.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:28

Sagan wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:05
I played X3 TC % AP for 100s of hours after modding it into next century. It really is excellent. I do own X4 (bought it on GOG) but I could not get into it. Some of the design decisions and the AWFUL interface made me give up after a few hours. Looks beautiful but I did not find it fun to play. Maybe in the future I'll feel different.
Hey,

I think the 'issues' with X4 is that it's not completely familiar. X3 and before had a hefty learning curve, without climbing one the game is hard to enjoy. Same with X4, more things to learn and remember. More clever UI decisions, more not so clever UI decisions.

I personally do feel like it's a worthy successor though.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Sagan
x4

Post by Sagan » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:34

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:28
Sagan wrote:
Hey,

I think the 'issues' with X4 is that it's not completely familiar. X3 and before had a hefty learning curve, without climbing one the game is hard to enjoy. Same with X4, more things to learn and remember. More clever UI decisions, more not so clever UI decisions.

I personally do feel like it's a worthy successor though.
Hey fiksal,

You're most probably right which is why I said I might try again in the future. Like X3, I probably need to invest some serious gaming time into climbing that learning curve - something I haven't got the time (or inclination) to do so at present.

Cheers!
I'd much rather regret the things I've done, than regret those I haven't.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:23

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:28
I think there are aspects of the X4 UI that are actively worse than X3, though. Why is the interface for giving autopilot orders to a ship you're flying entirely different, and incompatible, with the one used for ordering remote ships, with each having different capabilities? X3 had the Command Console that worked the same in both situations, what was wrong with that?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 16:32

Let's all discuss X4 in the X4 forum and use this thread to catch up on old friends though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Psychoclops
x3tc

Post by Psychoclops » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 16:06

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 17:51
ClearSky wrote:
I can confirm this, good old CBJ saved my account back in the day.

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 02:51

There are names here I haven't seen in years!

Hi to all of them.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 09:17

Sagan wrote:
Just happened to be mindlessly browsing, clicked on Egosoft Forums, Off-Topic, started reading a few posts and saw this thread.

Decided to post 'Hi Everybody' from another old timer. :goner: :)

Anyway, from an old timer and an ex-Mad Goner.... HELLO!!!

(waves at Oldman) Nice to see you're still around my friend :)
Yo! Sagan :thumb_up: Good to see you're still alive and kickin' :D

In short, I'm retired from work...haven't played X4, still playing Elite Horizons (but getting bored :roll: ). Fed up with the Covid lockdown, building a model railway (HO/OO), (had one years ago when my son was a nipper). I was gob smacked when I retrieved all the engines, rolling stock and materials from the loft, didn't realize/remember how much stuff I'd collected over the years :o . Decided to build a purpose shed/retreat in the back garden to house it all, insulated it and bought some double glazing window units (installed myself). Cost a fortune but people/friends tell me I've done a really good job so... 'shrugs'. At the moment I'm building a scratch built girder bridge, so all the trains can plunge to their doom whilst crossing it. :D
Gathered quite a few wrinkles on my face, a touch of arthritis in my knee, and the doctor has told me to give up smokin' :(
Scarecrow wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 02:51
There are names here I haven't seen in years!

Hi to all of them.
Hi Scarecrow! :)

Good to see you're still around as well :) , How's life going on in America?

Edit @ Sagan...Check your pm's :wink:

Oldman :)

Return to “Off Topic English”