Old Timers revisited

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cappedup
x4

Old Timers revisited

Post by cappedup » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 06:29

{originally posted in this thread...}

Like all good comets I come back around after a set number of years.

What a road trip reading this thread was. Gary Bolton. Ha.

No one mentioned Candy Girl, or LV’s ‘incident’ with a car immobiliser crook lock. That alone dates the members as well as an Antarctic ice core.

Found myself annoyed with my 10 year old 19” ‘gaming’ laptop (breeze block) about 2 weeks ago. Started to look around at what’s available and landed on a Razor 15” (can use it at work without being laughed at) Researched it’s benchmarks etc for playing games, which led me to a post here.

Got the Razor. DL’d X4 and I’m hooked again. This time on a decent machine and not my stupid tower with a GeForce 5200 and a CRT running win ME. (I recall)

Don’t think I even started X3. So I’ve missed all that.

X4 is cool. It’s a far cry from that annoying little kid at the start of BTF. What was his name?

Although I bought two cheapy mining ships and have watched them make me 2mil credits while I struggle to navigate the menus. Doesn’t seem to be much - challenge here.

Anyway. Nice to see so many familiar names, even on a 9 year old post. (I did see PJK however - hi)

Maybe we have a new roll call.

Maybe only for people who can name the song at the start of Grimms radio show, make it slightly tougher.......

(Why do we remember such oddities?)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Old Timers roll call - signing in is mandatory!

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 08:49

Nice to see you again, cappedup, but I imagine this thread is going to get locked pretty quickly for that epic eight-year necro you just pulled off! If you want another roll call you should create a new thread for it.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Old Timers revisited

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 14:24

Split to its own thread with a reference back to the old one.

Oh, and hi cappedup! Good to see you around again. :)

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 15:02

Welcome back cappedup. :)
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 15:34

Welcome back, if I recall correctly, you were renovating a house/ barn in France?

Seems like years ago. :roll:

I went by the moniker of IO back then.
A flower?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 16:42

Hi cappedup,

I too remember the old barn. It was supposed to be become the spot for X Con, if it didnt happen once already?
But then I also recall, maybe incorrectly, that you sold it.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 20:43

LOL @ 8 year necro. Glad to see there are still some rules around here. :wink:

Sold the barn years ago. Took me 10 years to fully renovate it. Ran it as a rental property for a while, but met a girl in a different country. Got married, moved away. Made a chunk of profittss and bought a little place in upstate New York. The last time I cried was when I shut the door for the last time. My old website has gone. The new owners did start a rental business there, now i'm not sure whats happening.

Yep, we did talk about having an X con there. That would have been epic.

I follow The Abyss on IG, although I don't know if he knows where I know him from. And that's about it. I had some emails with Rusti many years ago, cant remember why.

I'm pleased with how X4 plays. How its not all laid out. Its frustrating til you 'get' something, which opens up new game play. Its immersive. Time sucking. Rewarding. Congrats to Egosoft for keeping the feel alive.

And this place is still rolling. Cool.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 22:19

Upstate New York? So you are in US now?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Thu, 13. Feb 20, 22:35

Yes. split my time between NY and California. Work in Los Angeles, go home to NY when time allows. Very different to rural France.

chrishillproduction.com

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 14. Feb 20, 01:25

Hi there :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 14. Feb 20, 06:11

Hello Cap'! :)

Well, you live in America now!....you sure get about, how do you like New York?
Went to New York in Dec 18' aboard the Queen Mary 2, rough ride over...gale force winds and 30 foot waves....interesting. Docked at New York, had a quick tour round the city by bus then boarded the 'Norwegian Gem' which was going down to the Caribbean. Great ship, lots of American tourists onboard, and thankfully much calmer seas!....free bars too (in the package we had), which also had a smoking area right next to a bar on one of the outside decks, met and talked with plenty of American / Canadians there, good social atmosphere....though could get a little loud!...sunny calm weather.

Came back to New York ready to board the QM2 (for the trip back to the UK) and stopped overnight in New York near Times Square, amazing place NY, big, brash and teeming with people. Had breakfast near Times Square and walked around some of the main sights, before joining the QM2 for the trip back to England...weather hadn't improved, gale force winds on the way back, heavy seas, and we had to divert 200 miles north to Newfoundland at one point for the NF. coastguard helicopter to pick up an injured passenger. Picked up a nasty Flu bug I reckon in New York and spent most of the trip back in bed, :roll:

Still, all round it was a nice holiday, but I wouldn't travel aboard a ship for an Atlantic crossing in December again!, I wasn't sea sick but grey seas and wet windy weather for the 6 days it took to cross the Atlantic.... meh! :D
Yeah...New York was an experience, not what I thought it would be :wink: ....but as I said, interesting in many ways.

Game wise, I've been playing Elite Dangerous since it was first released, haven't tried X4 yet, maybe later this year.

Oldman :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 14. Feb 20, 08:04

cappedup wrote:
Thu, 13. Feb 20, 20:43
Sold the barn years ago. Took me 10 years to fully renovate it. Ran it as a rental property for a while, but met a girl in a different country. Got married, moved away. Made a chunk of profittss and bought a little place in upstate New York. The last time I cried was when I shut the door for the last time. My old website has gone. The new owners did start a rental business there, now i'm not sure whats happening.
Speaking of which, the site is still linked in your signature but goes nowhere--I clicked it for curiosity's sake!

Not really got into X4 myself, I'm sorry to say...I just find some of the design decisions in it a bit bizarre. For instance, like the way the mechanism for automating the ship you're currently flying is entirely different from the one for automating a ship under AI control, and some things can be done with one mechanism and not the other...I miss the X3 command console, which worked the same in all circumstances and had the same functionality too.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 15. Feb 20, 00:37

[/lurking]
Hi!
[lurking]
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Thu, 20. Feb 20, 00:11

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 14. Feb 20, 08:04
cappedup wrote:
Thu, 13. Feb 20, 20:43
Speaking of which, the site is still linked in your signature but goes nowhere--I clicked it for curiosity's sake!

Not really got into X4 myself, I'm sorry to say...I just find some of the design decisions in it a bit bizarre. For instance, like the way the mechanism for automating the ship you're currently flying is entirely different from the one for automating a ship under AI control, and some things can be done with one mechanism and not the other...I miss the X3 command console, which worked the same in all circumstances and had the same functionality too.
I’m also finding the automation controls a bit odd. A good few hours in it should all be second nature now, but I’m finding it awkward to navigate around stuff.

Never played X3, so cant compare it to that.

I should change the link in the sig.

chrishillproduction.com

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 23:54

Hey Cap!

A little late seeing this but yes, I always wondered what happen to the barn/remodle...I think I have pic or two you posted in the forum around that time,
Also remember you had bad Motorbike accident around that time also, good to hear you are good!

PlutonianNyborg

Post by PlutonianNyborg » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:57

Hey old timers. Hows yall doing :)

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 01:17

Hi cappedup! Funny one, I ended up in New York for a while as well.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 18. Jun 20, 23:03

Will hijack this for a second. I am not exactly an oldtimer, but I have been gone for quite some time. Felt like this may be a good post to announce:

I HAVE RETURNED.

Wondering if anyone even still knows me.

Also hello acient ones.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

ClearSky

Post by ClearSky » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 06:08

Most won't recognise my current forum name. I had to sign up again when I lost my login details for my previous identity. Used to be IcarusJones (Icky). It's interesting to see so many of the old guard are still around.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 17:51

ClearSky wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 06:08
I had to sign up again when I lost my login details for my previous identity.
We can help you with that, provided you have sufficient details to prove your ownership of the old account. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”