Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gosnell
x4

Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 18:02

With the coronavirus's increasing spread, I found myself contemplating whether or not to start stockpiling a quantity of food, just enough to last a couple of weeks should there be travel restrictions and quarantines implemented. The question I found myself asking is am I contributing to the panic surrounding the virus by preparing for a circumstance that may not arise and in broader terms does pragmatism exacerbate panic. What are your thoughts?

fiksal
x4

Re: Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Post by fiksal » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 18:45

how do you plan to travel? or not to travel?

are you saying you'll avoid grocery stores?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 19:21

I quit my job and sit in the basement all day eating nourished pickles and canned beer. For safety's sake I'll stay down here until the flu is eradicated and I sold my car, I did read in the newspaper that many people die in traffic every year!

And all because the Chinese drink their Corona without lemon......not?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 19:49

Should an unlikely event like that happen in our immediate area, we probably have enough random stuff already cluttering up our freezers and storage to last us say a fortnight. It would indeed be the less-attractive long-life items and a few things that we didn't fancy eating soon after getting them, but it is all fit for purpose in a scrape.

Also the healthy, fit and comfortably-off should probably be thinking more about isolated, elderly, young, ill or disadvantaged neighbours rather than just themselves if local restrictions become likely.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 19:52

Would the virus effect food prices or availability or just travel? Are you really that far from a grocery store?

If you want buy some thing like a large bag of rice, pasta noodles, peanut butter, etc... that you will eat anyways. A large bag of rice will last you a long time (less than a pound a day to get 1500 calories from just the food, 10-11 servings per pound at 160 calories per serving) and it won't spoil any time soon. Rice and dried beans seem to be dooms day prepper staples.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 20:22

Well i live in london so assuming lockdowns occurred its forseeable that supermarkets will see supply issues,Think ill just stock 3 weels supply of canned goods and biscuits.Cant hurt to be prepared.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 20:35

Pointless.

The most likely outcome is you'll end up with loads of food you'll end up having to throw away.

If things get that bad a few weeks of supply won't help you, and even at the height of the Spanish flu epidemic (which was actually worldwide, it's just only spain allowed reporting of it, which is how it got that name, things didn't get that bad).

At most make sure you have enough toilet roll, because the panic buyers will clear all the shelves, but don't blow your cash on stuff you will most likely never *ever* need.

This Coronavirus thing has primarily killed people with pre-existing conditions. At this point Flu is just as likely to kill you if you have those conditions if you don't get treatment.

The main thing worrying the WHO is the lack of a vaccine.

At least this should scare some sense in those anti-vaxxer idiots.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 22:23

Im not overly worried about the disease itself,just the effect that the panic will have on people,basically i dont want to have to deal with the hassle of source food in a shortage.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Tue, 25. Feb 20, 23:09

I mean, it's just good practice to have some not easily perishable food at home at all times, so if that stock is running low by all means replenish it. But stocking up on literally everything just because of the disease is probably a bad idea (at this stage) - depends on where you live of course.

Exactly how long and what kind of "emergency supplies" you want to have ... well, consider this - if food supplies are an issue for more than two weeks there'll be bigger issues to worry about, in all likelihood.

So, my thoughts: it isn't panic if you're maintaining an already-established system you've had implemented for ages.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 26. Feb 20, 12:48

I've been reliably informed that my current household stock of biscuits (cookies to you Americans) is not sufficient in either quantity or variety to weather a crisis, and that I need to rectify this as soon as possible.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 26. Feb 20, 18:14

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 26. Feb 20, 12:48
I've been reliably informed that my current household stock of biscuits (cookies to you Americans) is not sufficient in either quantity or variety to weather a crisis, and that I need to rectify this as soon as possible.
Custard creams,ginger nuts and milk chocolate hobnobs would keep me going. Not sure I have enough in stock.
A flower?

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 26. Feb 20, 18:18

I would caution against a diet with too much milk chocolate in it. Either that or make sure you are well supplied with toilet paper.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 26. Feb 20, 22:25

Rice, pasta, tins of tomatoes, few cans of vegetables, big bag of frozen chicken breast and one of beef mince, toilet paper and your are good to go in case you cannot go out of home. Tobacco and booze is a must too if you are into it. Make sure it is stuff you will use eventually so it does not go to waste.

You are right that if a case of Coronavirus is detected in your neighbourhood, you will get locked in, but the chances of that happening in the UK in a large scale, seems slim at the moment, so I wouldn't bother yet.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 26. Feb 20, 23:13

I've ordered 2 crates of my favourite wine.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 27. Feb 20, 01:44

Canned ham and beans suit me just fine. I prefer stuff that can be opened and eaten without cooking. The hurricanes I've waited through involved no power for many days, the roads too blocked with debris to travel, and the tap water not being safe to drink without boiling. I don't anticipate that from a nasty flu but plan for the worst and not the likely. You never know if the next one will involve zombies. If you can handle zombies you can handle something not as bad as zombies too.
Who made that man a gunner?

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 28. Feb 20, 14:11

Utterly pointless, though it's always a good idea to have a week or so's worth of food on hand regardless.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 29. Feb 20, 03:32

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Fri, 28. Feb 20, 14:11
though it's always a good idea to have a week or so's worth of food on hand regardless.
Pretty much. I buy most of my food whole sale, and also stock different type to keep up the variety so I always have like a month or so worth of food in my house as a result.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 1. Mar 20, 16:28

Masterbagger wrote:
Thu, 27. Feb 20, 01:44
Canned ham and beans suit me just fine. I prefer stuff that can be opened and eaten without cooking. The hurricanes I've waited through involved no power for many days, the roads too blocked with debris to travel, and the tap water not being safe to drink without boiling. I don't anticipate that from a nasty flu but plan for the worst and not the likely. You never know if the next one will involve zombies. If you can handle zombies you can handle something not as bad as zombies too.
I think I might actually have played you in a game :gruebel: .
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 06:39

Well, when I was shopping for groceries and stuff on saturday, the noodles and noodle sauces were completely sold out ... stupid crazy people everywhere. It's been a long long long long very long time since I've seen empty shelves in Germany.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 22:55

I live very much day to day on food, my place being tiny and only having a mini-fridge and no freezer.

I'm building up a small supply of cans and the like, long term storage food in case there is any disruption to the food supply for a few days. Toilet paper, medications too.

It seems a reasonable course of action to me. Hopefully, everything turns out fine and I just slowly deplete the supplies over the next few months on occasions when I can't be bothered to go to Tesco.

I'm having to do more work prepping then anything else.

Return to “Off Topic English”