Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rug
x4

Re: Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Post by Rug » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 12:34

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 11:35
Saw gardeners arriving at my neighbour's homes today, so I guess they're a critical business too! LOL
My guess is that being self employed they need to keep working to get some income. I'm self employed (driving instructor) and have been told not to work, but there does not yet seem to be a way to get some of the income replacement stuff the government has been talking about just yet. (Very very happy to hear from anyone who can put me on the right track !)

If I was employed I'd be getting paid. Ditto if sick with the virus. There is an 80% up to £2400 per month for workers scheme either already, or on the way. For the self employed, currently zip. :(

At least I'm allowed out for exercise, so I'll be taking long walks every day. Glad I live in a tiny town with easy access to hills and countryside!

Rug

Edit - I think Anti's quote in my sig is very true just now. Hope you're OK Anti !
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 12:48

Rug wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 12:34
For the self employed, currently zip. :(
94 quid a week isn't it? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52005581

It's a massive step down in income though >.<

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:19

Chips wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 12:48
Rug wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 12:34
For the self employed, currently zip. :(
94 quid a week isn't it? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52005581

It's a massive step down in income though >.<
I think the scale of the personal cost beyond the immediacy of contracting Covid-19 is very difficult to comprehend. - I feel dreadfully sorry for all those groups, and perhaps the S/E are the largest of them, who are struggling as a result of the lockdown.

I've sent a couple of packages of help to neighbours today, and have put it out there that I've a few spare loo rolls and 10 kg of foie gras if anyone should be in need.

Sorry, humour is my coping mechanism...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:26

But I'm not on Universal Credit. Up until yesterday I was working normally. So I guess I need to apply for Universal Credit. But I expect not to get it because I have a partner who works, so I think I fail the initial step.

This is exactly the sort of thing I am crap at. I confidently expect to get nothing at all.

Really fed up and down right now ...

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:32

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:19
10 kg of foie gras if anyone should be in need.
Oh yes please!
Gavrushka wrote:
.. DOH.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:18

Things are happening. I talked to a guy who has chickens. We're going to work something out. I've used his stuff before. It's legit. He's got the brown and the white goods. I know I have something he needs. I'm going to get my fix soon. I'm farting like crazy from being thrown off my diet and I don't like it despite the humor of it.

I am still working partial days and meeting a lot of people with concerns about money. It's too late now but I always tell the young people that it is so important to have some cash set aside. Any one of us is a moment away from an unexpected bill. Being able to handle that or a time of not being able to work is peace of mind. I'm not a wealthy person but if my local government suggested I stay home and I were inclined to agree I could do that without issue. The whole point of having the mindset of being prepared is that the time to do it was before you find you need it.
Who made that man a gunner?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:39

Believe it or not there has been a run on live chickens here in the UK, I can't keep them, part of house purchase agreement, but I would like a chicken or two. We also have several chicken farms around here, one of the local supermarkets sells the eggs loose and they seem to be getting delivered pretty frequently so eggs aren't an issue. Also everyone else has been banned from my house so there is just the two of us to feed now, normally there are 4 or 5 every night so the dozen or so eggs I have will last some time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 09:55

felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:39
...so the dozen or so eggs I have will last some time.
Swap them for some bog roll, a tub of marg and a packet of paprika?

Just had a message from Tesco explaining why there are no delivery slots available for the next three weeks, and why they're not block releasing more:
Tesco wrote:Our stores are releasing delivery slots on a daily basis but due to the current issue, some customers are booking a large percentage of the slots as soon as they become available. We are trying our very best to bring in more resources to try and ease the situation. Really sorry for any frustration or inconvenience that this has caused.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 09:59

Chips wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:32
Gavrushka wrote:
10 kg of foie gras if anyone should be in need.
Oh yes please!
Gavrushka wrote:
.. DOH.
Haha, well, what I am doing here is releasing any excess food I have to anyone who needs it in the neighbourhood, but I'm afraid that doesn't include my little indulgences. - I've a guy from a couple of doors away, pleading with me for wine! (I don't drink...)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 10:50

Rug wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:26
But I'm not on Universal Credit. Up until yesterday I was working normally. So I guess I need to apply for Universal Credit. But I expect not to get it because I have a partner who works, so I think I fail the initial step.

This is exactly the sort of thing I am crap at. I confidently expect to get nothing at all.

Really fed up and down right now ...

Rug
Can sympathise with that, my bank has been sending emails regarding my business account and possibilities if needed but I didn't read them properly so unaware if that'd help.

I'm lucky that my contracting company is keen to be billed for us to continue working but in a researching role rather than provision of services role. I think it's mainly due to not wanting to lose the skilled workers with knowledge that takes years to gain - rather than any sense of care to contractors though. Am starting to feel very fortunate.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 02:12

I got them. A dozen. That is an American dozen and not a metric dozen. The absence of these have made it clear how dear to me they are. They have become precious to me. I must guard them well. Others would want to takes my precious. We won't lets them. No, we won't do that my precious.
Who made that man a gunner?

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 08:01

My dude, somehow I think replace egg with crack or pots, or maybe even wine and your post would be a lore more ... natural. :D

Wait, I just realize, isn't your avatar an egghead?

In other news gonna have my first barbecue tomorrow (in the confiment of my yard of course). It's a bit early, 3 months in fact before the BBQ season plus there gonna be snow tomorrow. but I have time so what the hell. :lol:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:53

Baking yeast... Crazy, but that's the only thing that hasn't reappeared in the shops (for me) yet. - My sister is having the same issue up in Northumberland (I'm in County Durham.) - I've an order coming a week Monday, including plenty of bread flour, but I've only 4 sachets of yeast left. - Amazon have sellers offering to send from China, but the lead time is 6 weeks...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 13:40

You could try at an active bakery and see if they would give/sell you an amount of active yeast from their bulk. No harm in trying at least.

I wonder if the homebrew beer yeast supplies are still generally available? (Banana beer bread anyone?)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 13:59

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:53
Baking yeast...
Funnily enough, flour and yeast were pretty much the first thing I thought to make sure I had plenty of (not a stockpile I hasten to add, but enough that I wouldn't need to add them to my next shopping list) when it looked like things might get complicated. Not for bread-making mind; for pizza-making! And yes, I do realise that pre-supposes I can get the other ingredients, but since I also have most of them in the cupboard, the only thing I'd really be short of would be mozzarella (or at a pinch, milk, as I do have the means to make my own mozzarella if it comes to that).

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 14:15

CBJ wrote:Funnily enough, flour and yeast were pretty much the first thing I thought to make sure I had plenty of (not a stockpile I hasten to add, but enough that I wouldn't need to add them to my next shopping list) when it looked like things might get complicated. Not for bread-making mind; for pizza-making! And yes, I do realise that pre-supposes I can get the other ingredients, but since I also have most of them in the cupboard, the only thing I'd really be short of would be mozzarella (or at a pinch, milk, as I do have the means to make my own mozzarella if it comes to that).
From what I'm seeing, baking products are the 1st thing everyone thought of...

...everyone but me. :(

But the product range seems to be expanding with such alacrity that I feel confident I'll be able to add it to my shopping prior to its delivery. - And if not, well, I know whose larder to raid. :P

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 18:43

Having travelled around the local area trying to keep a weeks supply as reserve I was surprised that the two upmarket grocers Waitrose and M&S Simply Foods were by far the worst for common sense and customer care.. Waitrose (early opening for aged and vulnerable) had 70 ish to 80ish year olds queuing around a carpark for a wait of around an hour, while they waited for each customer to leave before one more could enter,, mind you they also reduced the check outs, so the wait was increased by the queues at the checkouts... Called at M&S Simply foods to be told it was shut for 30 minutes while they re-stocked (fair enough) after 30 mins I was told it would be another 10 minutes,,, 10 minutes later i was told it would be another 30 mins..Looking through the window I could see staff chatting but no re-stocking.
The best was Aldi ...common sense, restrictions (2 metres apart) but the flow through the shop was controlled and efficient..Sainsbury's was a pretty close second.
Experiences may vary throughout the County and Country (UK)
I walked away in disgust at the way Waitrose managed to keep the aged /vulnerable queued in such appalling conditions..

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 20:31

Same as Canada. It's a mix. There's people who are still dragging their kids around town for daily shopping. In grocery stores the staff seem to be the most observant of rules and most customers don't seem to care. The line ups for the early elderly shopping ends up being a joke due to spacing, etc... The tire shop on the other hand has people speaking through the shops closed/sealed windows/doors and they even put up a row of tires at the counter to make sure people keep the distance from staff when they are let in to pay. No one is allowed in except to pay at the tire shop so you can wait outside.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 22:50

burger1 wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 20:31
Same as Canada. It's a mix. There's people who are still dragging their kids around town for daily shopping. In grocery stores the staff seem to be the most observant of rules and most customers don't seem to care.
Pretty much. Last week I was at King Sooper and noticed they put down some tape on the floor to mark where each customer (cart) should be to respect social distancing. So I moved my cart into one of these markers, as I should. Next thing I know? Someone with a basket cut into right in front of me due to the extra space in front. I thought "bleh, no big deal", one minute later THREE more people with baskets joint that person. I pushed my cart to the next line, right on the rear of the previous cart like I would normally to under normal circumstance. Look around I realize I never saw that many people shopping with baskets before. Must be a growing fashion similar to walking your dog. :gruebel:

Thing is these rules unless observed by everyone or enforce by staff, even the few people who try to respect the rules gonna give up fast.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 23:21

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 22:50
Thing is these rules unless observed by everyone or enforce by staff, even the few people who try to respect the rules gonna give up fast.
In that circumstance you have to challenge that person - otherwise it's reinforcing their behaviour. It needs to be immediately challenged.

Return to “Off Topic English”