Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 14:06

I'm pretty sure that pigeons can only be trained to 'home' in one direction. :D

(Smacks himself for derailing the thread. Ouch!)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 14:28

Well, for the first time since, probably, the end of March, I managed to buy a single pint of milk!
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 15:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 12. Jun 20, 14:06
I'm pretty sure that pigeons can only be trained to 'home' in one direction. :D

(Smacks himself for derailing the thread. Ouch!)
Alan, you are going to be reported to Mr Phipps.
Sending the pidgeon now.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 15:58

Just make sure you abide by the official protocol :wink:

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 16:21

brucewarren wrote:
Fri, 12. Jun 20, 15:58
Just make sure you abide by the official protocol :wink:
[...]with a packet loss ratio of 55%
Only half the people consumes the envelop with the data it contains.
[...] this technology suffers from poor latency. Nevertheless, for large transfers, avian carriers are capable of high average throughput.[...]
They're good for save game backups over cloud, then.

Anyway, we must be careful about malicious users willing to spread viruses.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 16:46

RegisterMe wrote:
Fri, 12. Jun 20, 14:28
Well, for the first time since, probably, the end of March, I managed to buy a single pint of milk!
Baking powder, flour, yeast, brown sugar are still occasionally short here. There's a local bulk supplier that sells the stuff if you reserve an order. Maybe there's one in your city? Check your community internet sites maybe to gather information/ask? Can you reserve or arrange a pick up order at stores?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 03:51

on my piece of land - the shortage of food has disappeared over here, as somewhat predicted. Though people worry about US supplies of meat.

I have trouble figuring out how much we should carry anyways. I have 4L+ emergency water, some beans, and always about 1-2kg of rice. That in itself isnt really that much. Still unsure if I should have more
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 04:00

fiksal wrote:
Sat, 13. Jun 20, 03:51
on my piece of land - the shortage of food has disappeared over here, as somewhat predicted. Though people worry about US supplies of meat.

I have trouble figuring out how much we should carry anyways. I have 4L+ emergency water, some beans, and always about 1-2kg of rice. That in itself isn't really that much. Still unsure if I should have more
A 10lb - 25lb bag of rice is cheap and can last quite a while. Just don't buy a bag of rice you don't like. Some rice doesn't cook well even after washing it several times. Maybe some flour if you will eventually use it.

Meat isn't scarce here. Beef just costs more and there's fewer beef sales happening.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 04:06

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 13. Jun 20, 04:00
Just don't buy a bag of rice you don't like.
That's basically it. The rice in large quantities is the white one, and of subpar flavor. Hard to come by a tasty basmati or even basmati brown rice at that size.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 04:30

I passed on the butcher counter because it was understaffed and I didn't want to wait. They had steaks there. I just didn't want to wait and I have steaks in my freezer. It's been my experience of grocery shopping that men walk into a store with a clear list of objectives and that they don't truly want to be there. They grab, they pay, they leave. Every time I shop I assess the conditions of the checkout lines. I refuse to use the automated ones. That's a job that a person isn't doing. I look for the briefest line with the most men. Men are not going to whip out a stack of coupons and delay the transaction. Men don't want to be there. I grab meat off the shelf, I pay, I leave, I put my cart in the stall. You can judge a person by how they shop. I measure the mission against the terrain, weather, enemies present, and civilians on the battlefield. This is how to shop. This is the way.
Who made that man a gunner?

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 08:33

Regretfully my meat eating days are behind me, although what goes under the name of red meat or chicken these days in supermarkets is open to question .... Back in the day when the sun shone all day and it only rained at night, Egosoft had just launched X3 Terran (well a couple of months later) and the only cookbooks in the kitchen were by Robert Carrier I enjoyed the consumption of meat with a few vegetables .... Luckily there appeared to be no shortage of fruit, vegetables or fish during the mass hysteria so have not suffered nutritionally .... although Masterbagger may disagree with the lack of meat on the shopping list.. :)

Alan Phipps ..I have not forgiven you yet for your smarty pants response regarding the consumption of the pigeon.... :P

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 04:59

Why meat days are behind or why regrettably?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 13:51

Meat choice these days (in city):
Good, but expensive, or affordable "meat-like" products (like weiners that contain 30% of actual meat).

Living on the farm is completely different story, but it's full time work intense occupation.

I despise the whole vege movement, but I agree that we, in general eat too much meat based products.
When I was younger, meat was 50-60% of my diet.
Now it's 30% and I won't mind to reduce it to 20%, but with higher quality meat. Unfortunately, what is now "higher quality meat", was a normal meat in my childhood.

On prepping side, thanks to YT culinary videos I found out that making pita bread is cheap and easy - for once YouTube algorithm was useful :)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 29. Jun 20, 10:37

I am certainly no "vegetarian" but modern manufacturing methods required to deliver meat products at a cheap price is totally unacceptable in my opinion,, to be able to produce a final packaged chicken in a supermarket for under 3 UK pounds/dollars or euros must cause doubt in the methods required to meet that price point.... I find it a most telling statement on the mass purchasing public that supermarkets never compare with other supermarkets on quality or taste but solely on price... cheap food is a false economy.... I think this also answers the fiksal question.
mr WHO is correct what was normal quality is now high quality,, certainly would like to compare the quality/taste of say a mac or coke from 20/30 years ago to the present product.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 10. Aug 20, 10:05

The day before lockdown started here, back in March, I went to the petrol station to fill my car up with petrol "just in case". Not exactly panic buying, but definitely preparing. But of course lockdown means not travelling too much, so perhaps I was preparing for the wrong thing. On Saturday, 4½ months later, I finally had to go and fill up with petrol again.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 10. Aug 20, 13:33

Conversely, I've probably been doing a bit more mileage since lockdown started, thanks to the requirement to occasionally do a food shopping trip for my mother who lives 120 miles from me. I remember driving up the motorway I think a week or two after everything kicked off and the road was almost entirely empty--was kind of a creepy feeling, was expecting the dragons from "Reign of Fire" to descend at any moment! It's a lot busier when I make that trip now, obviously.

Return to “Off Topic English”