I'm back. And how are you?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

I'm back. And how are you?

Post by Usenko » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 02:03

Given the crisis that has enveloped our world, it seemed appropriate to drop in and ask how you folks were. I realised the other day that it's been months since I was here.

Any of the old crew who remember my name, are you coping?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: I'm back. And how are you?

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 02:35

Hi Usenko, glad to see you back safe and sound. Some of us were worried about you a while with your absent concise with the mass bush fire in your country. :)

As you have noticed, even though your little corner of the world were pretty ****** when you left, now you came back and find the whole world are in an even shittier place. :D
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 03:41

Nice to hear that you are okay amongst all the turmoil that has been going on of late, fires, virus and whatnot. So far I think everyone on the forum is doing okay, at least no one has said they had caught the virus (knock on wood) but I think it is only a matter of time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 06:30

Hey, good to see you're okay. I arrived in your country in the midst of interesting times to say the least, but I'm doing okay other than my toilet paper reserve!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 07:46

I remember you, Usenko. Why the long silence?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 10:29

Welcome back Usenko :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 12:23

Hi. Yes we seem to be coping. Of course those of us self-isolating and maybe with common cold symptoms (or even if having no symptoms) don't really know whether we have caught it or not as there is no general testing here (UK) as yet. We just act as if we and everybody else *might* have it and carry on from there.

It's not too difficult really for those whose income is not at total risk, although there are morons who make it more so by unnecessary panic-buying, careless hygiene on their part, or unwanted and unnecessary encroachments on personal space when you do have to go out. (I won't much mention the scammers!) Some people seem to be in denial, and others just don't care - but these are in the minority thankfully. There are also some really selfless heroes helping out others that are less able to look after themselves. These things seem to bring out and highlight both the good and bad in people and society.

Anyway, good to hear from you and keep safe.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 13:12

Good to hear you're OK. Welcome back.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 13:38

We were worried not having heared of you guys from downunder for some time. Glad you are ok and welcome back :-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 14:17

University campus is off limits for everybody here. Uni and schools teach remotely now (except for the lowest grades). I recall your tales from teacher's life. How does your side of the planet handle the education now?

Coping? To tell the truth this self-isolation does not really differ from "normal" life. The "downside" of stereotypical computer enthusiast ...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 19:40

Working from home. Not much otherwise, just everything is kinda shut down.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 22:04

We're currently still at school (universities have closed) but we're preparing for a mass rollout of distance education).

I haven't been sick yet, nor has Phil (who now has a real job. ;) ). Right now there is a small number of cases in Australia (about 1500) but it's growing fast, which is concerning; therefore we've basically gone into lockdown. Non-essential workplaces are closed, so there's a lot of out-of-work people.

Where have I been? Not sure - I just suddenly realised the other day I'd not logged into Egosoft for nearly a year!
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:26

Good to hear you're well, Usenko. - And I can fully appreciate how time seems to lengthen its stride as we get a little older. A few paces, and a whole year has gone by... Damn...

You and yours stay safe. It sure is a challenging period we're going through.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 05:34

Welcome back :)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 20:16

I've been gone for longer than you, and likely will be remaining in occasional lurker mode for the foreseeable future.

Why I hear you ask? (Well I didn't, but I needed an excuse to explain)

Remember that utterly crappy draft book I sent you? Or rather don't, that whole thing has been re-written from scratch several times since then, and improved a lot.

darned near 20 years writing the thing and I still couldn't get it sorted out...

Anyway, I finally arrived at a version I liked, sent it off to a few agents and a publishing house imprint, more for possible feedback than anything, then got started on the next one, which I've nearly finished the first draft of.

It's so much better, and set in the same universe, so a lot of the background work had already been done.

BUT A few weeks back, Hachette UK asked to see the full version of that first book, something I never expected. It's been nine months since I sent it to them. Why they want to see it now I don't know, but they do.

My chances are still almost non existent. Most manuscript requests still go nowhere, but apparently they like my writing style.

If they turn it down that's ok, I'll just carry on as before, working on this current book, which won't be ready for another one, maybe two years.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 20:37

@ mrbadger ...Never miss an opportunity to self publicise a publication,,, Hachette UK ..mm !! not exactly a back street publisher.. A brief synopsis would not go amiss or does one exist elsewhere.. ?
I am sure Usenko does not mind his return being slid into a siding.... just temporarily.
Either way ...Best of Luck.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 21:04

mrbadger wrote:
Fri, 27. Mar 20, 20:16
Why I hear you ask? (Well I didn't, but I needed an excuse to explain)
I think it's more like you ran away from the responsibility of creating that monstrous of a thread that still kicking right now. :P

Even if you never come back your name will forever be in infamy as long as that thread lives. :D
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 22:45

I have a synopsis, but I'm not sure if it's good enough.

Edit: Actually the synopsis would cover the entire thing. I'll put together a better book jacket type affair at some point, but I'm two books in now, and frankly far more interested in getting the second book published first now anyway.
Not that I don't like the first one, but it's only a small part of a much larger story, that's just where I started.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 23:35

Hey Usenko, long time no see.

I just happened to be thinking about this forum and thought I'd pass through. Amazed to see some of the same old names in this thread!

Anyone got a copy of my old purple cow avatar hanging round? I lost it ages ago. Might have to go scavenging round old hard drives! Edit: Found it on a long dead photobucket!

Return to “Off Topic English”