should i buy X4 or Elite Dangerous?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Brinkaman

should i buy X4 or Elite Dangerous?

Post by Brinkaman » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:07

i watched game play for both and i liked both of them,which of them should i buy?

wasted90
x4

Re: should i buy X4 or Elite Dangerous?

Post by wasted90 » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:10

Brinkaman wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:07
i watched game play for both and i liked both of them,which of them should i buy?
both so you can try them yourself, and see yourself

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:25

I own ED and I dont like it much.
Its so much grinding and because its all instantiated it does not feel as a real universe. You enter a hotspot or nav beacon and it is always generated from scratch and feels like the 10 you entered before. You sit there and wait until new ships spawn and shoot them.
I dont know another game that is so much focussed on grinding. They now announced the next DLC which will introduce carriers. They cost 5.000.000.000 credits and need upkeep that forces you to grind even more! And at the end it is just a mobile storage and station. It can not even fight - lol! Compare this to X4 carriers...

The dogfights however look and play very well. But there are no captial ship fights or real battles like in X4 where one side can really lose.
So it depends on your preferences. if you love dogfights, go for ED. For all other things I would prefer X4, even if it still has some problems.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Brinkaman

Post by Brinkaman » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 12:03

wasted90 wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 11:10
Brinkaman wrote:
i can only buy one

M@ReK
x4

Post by M@ReK » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 12:32

I have both and while Elite is more polished, less bugs, more triple A product and feels more like a SciFi "movie" X4 have something I don't know how to describe, even with all its bugs it is a product made with passion and feels like a real universe despite the characters made of wood :P To play X4 you will need to learn it and will will take quite a long time believe me.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 12:54

If you'd simulate driving a truck, or fire up a fighter sim just to play thru scenarios and not really care about immersion, then ED is a very detailed and polished (and yes, grindy) game.

X4 is buggy and there's no challenge whatsoever but you can be creative in it and it feels like you're in a place rather than a disembodied scenario.
***modified***

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 14:46

LameFox wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 12:54
If you'd simulate driving a truck, or fire up a fighter sim just to play thru scenarios and not really care about immersion, then ED is a very detailed and polished (and yes, grindy) game.

X4 is buggy and there's no challenge whatsoever but you can be creative in it and it feels like you're in a place rather than a disembodied scenario.
+1

Elite dangerous to me feels like your just a trucker..transporting a few crates for hours and hours..till you can buy a new ship. New ship works great against npc's, until you run across a veteran human player and they kill you in 1.29 seconds...I prefer dealing with only NPC's (although derpy AI sometimes) than dealing with a bunch of people online.

It comes down to what style of game you like to play. X4 has empire building and alot more control over shaping the universe, elite is much more limited (imo)
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:03

ED these days is only entertaining if you heavily involve yourself in multiplayer. You can get a few hours of entertainment out of it for the short therm but if you are serious about playing it then it is not worth it's price imo.

There are some singleplayer goals that are fun at the start but each and every one of them turns into an endless grind. They also require a LOT OF reading online, stumbling into them on your own is near impossible.

If you have every day a few hours to burn and do it for years without breaks then this is your game. It's like one of those freemium games on mobile phones you just pay upfront. I like to compare it to the good old Travian game, or all the other city building browser games.

GRIND - GRIND - GRIND

You want the best ships in the game? Oh no prepare to grind missions or mining for 200 hours to get all of them? And oh wait they are behind faction reputation? Oh damn you have to grind the same amount of missions again.

You want to make money the non-meta way? Like pirating? So sorry we nerfed everything to the ground so you can only get bits at a time. Mining is next on the chopping block!

Here are these engineer guys that can give your ships and weapons cool effects. Unlocked the first one? Ok here are 20 more with stupidly grindy unlock requirements. Don't want to unlock them now? Well good luck in PVP then where non-engineered ships are like paper planes. Not going to pvp? Well no access to your for community events....

You want cool alien weapons? Here is this cool relic hunt with cryptic messages. You finished the first part? Okay now do it a million times over and over.

You want to make a faction take over a solar system? Here are missions you can do. It will require you about a month of constant grind to get 1%.

Aaaaaand here you can have a carrier. Just 300 hours of constant money grind! Plus a weekly upkeep if you don't want to loose it!

X4 is more relaxed. I mean I rather play X2 again than ED at this point, and that was a grindy game.

ballti
x4

Post by ballti » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:25

Full automated empire builder VS grind fest. X4: play till you runing out of creativity. ED4: long term gameplay, whit litle playing time per day.
Wargasm

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:56

At the end of the day you'll need to pick a game that suits your play style/interests. It's good to ask questions for other poeples experiences, but keep in mind since this is an x4 forum, the responses are going to be most, if not all, pro X4. No different than if you ask the same questions on a ED forum, it's going to be pro elite dangerous.
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:58

Brinkaman wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 12:03
wasted90 wrote:
Brinkaman wrote:
i can only buy one
How? You can pick up ED for £5 on most sales and X4 is usually £30 at least.

Brinkaman

Post by Brinkaman » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 17:54

Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:58
Brinkaman wrote:
wasted90 wrote:

i can only buy one
i'm a 14 year old teen,i'm not like you adults who can buy a game whatever time you please

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 18:39

Brinkaman wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 17:54
Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 16:58
Brinkaman wrote:

i can only buy one
i'm a 14 year old teen,i'm not like you adults who can buy a game whatever time you please
Ok if you are 14 you also should know about X4 that it is not very intuitive and that you need to put some work into it before it becomes fun. Its very complex and even if Elite Dangerous is hard to lern as well, it is easier because it is focused on dogfights and the simulation of the space ship while X4 has many more aspects and a lot of things are not good explaind in the game. The user interface is not good at all but functional.
I recommend to watch videos of both games before you decide.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 18:42

Brinkaman wrote:
Easy answer. Do you want to fly 1 ship with only actual activity been exploration and repeated missions, without been able to do much else? Get ED.

Do you want to build an empire, production lines, space stations, fleets of controlled subordinates and take over space, participate in wars and every action you take matters as the game is fully simulated to the last ship? Get X4.

Personally after 20h or so, ED is boring. X4 have clocked over 1000 hours and is fun :D

M@ReK
x4

Post by M@ReK » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 18:47

If you like type of games where you are setting your goals and there is no define end (like ex. Minecraft) go with X4. It is not perfect but that is part of its charm.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:32

If you like flying a space ship - Elite.

If you like world domination - X4.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 21:06

As a fan of X4, I have to say that X4 is super boring for others to watch. But playing it long term is fun. Elite looks better though.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 22:02

so i got elite obout 2 years ago on steam but have never played it so i dont know
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 23:40

Have both, X4 ,hands down the better choice!

kelasusi
x4

Post by kelasusi » Tue, 7. Apr 20, 05:01

Elite Dangerous : space truck simulator
X4 or X games : you own a space truck company and a space construction company.
Remember the destruction of Earth Torus.
Those alien sub-human will pay their lives eternally for betrayal.
Until they are gone completely.

Return to “Off Topic English”