Joysticks and back problems

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

brekehan
x4

Joysticks and back problems

Post by brekehan » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:01

How do you set up your input devices in such a way that you do not have to lean forward?

I've got my joystick where my mouse goes on the keyboard tray of my standup desk.
However, I then have to put the mouse on the desktop of my desk and lean forward to grab it.
I also have to lean forward to grab my throttle which is on the desktop to the left.

I don't see any way to really setup for old men with lower back problems. Surely, I am not alone.
https://imgur.com/a/RqONMf4
To understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

birdtable
x4

Re: Joysticks and back problems

Post by birdtable » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:25

Like the trackball ... best invention ever.
I got around the lower back problem by purchasing a mini (ish) keyboard that rests beyond the trackball, I can then move closer to the desk.... everything can then be moved closer together.
To anyone reading this you have entered "Gods Waiting Room" and in 5 seconds the door will lock behind you.... :)

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:32

Monitors centered and push back as much as they can, plenty of space to set up everything in the main desk, get rid of the stand up desk, it does not help you, and get an office chair so you can get a comfortable position with your main desk.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:41

Maybe if your gaming chair has arms, then clamp the stick to the arm of the chair for your stick-using arm, a bit like the arm controls on a mobility chair, and leaving the other arm free for using the keyboard which you can now pull closer to you.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 21:15

It looks to me like the thing you have the keyboard and joystick on is simply too narrow--you ideally need to put the throttle and the mouse on it as well. So, either use the main desk for that as Santi says, or find a wider keyboard/mouse tray, or possibly even find a smaller keyboard--you can have more than one USB keyboard plugged in at once, so you could have a smaller one for gaming and use the one you have for typing when necessary.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 23:25

I had a MS Natural Keyboard Pro (the beige). When an ergonomist saw it, she went: "WTH is that? :doh: Definitely not ergonomic!" The point was that since that keyboard is large and if you align yourself with the main keyblock, then the numpad is far to the right and a mouse on its side way too much right. Bad ergonomy for the right hand.

The curved keyboard in the picture might not be as large, but it still affects the layout. Therefore, a smaller keyboard could help "non-game life" too. There are those "tenkeyless" and "60%" keyboards. Alas, certain games use the numpad ...

... but personally, I never use mouse with those games. Just keyboard and X52.

Return to “Off Topic English”