This just turned up on the Steam forum..........

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gregorovitch
x4

This just turned up on the Steam forum..........

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 17:16

"I just came over from Elite Dangerous.

First 2 days I was playing as though it was elite dangerous - sitting in the cockpit of my fighter doing missions.

Then I bought a couple of miners, and suddenly the game became like football manager. I was shuttling employees around, giving them piloting seminars and asking them to take up positions around the playing field. I spent so much time trying to fit the right miners in the right systems.

Then it became space engineers, I started building solar power stations and fitting components together.

I then got a few destroyers and frigates together, and suddenly the game is now Homeworld. I'm playing in the map mode and F2, giving formations to my various fleets, positioning them to intercept xenon fighters, moving destroyers around to take the aggro off of them when fighting multiple xenon K. It is amazing! The ships respond to my orders almost all the time but of course there are AI problems here and there.

I spent so much time on the map screen, my kids started taking their coins and moving them around the dinner table saying these are my spaceships. So I spent some time to work out a strategy with my kids about which xenon sector I should destroy first. Red chips were xenon destroyers and blue chips were my own. We came up with a strategy and then over the next few days executed it, moving my destroyers out of Antigone space to help the Teladi in Fires of Defeat. We destroyed all the xenon stations there. My kids were super happy that their strategy worked out.

I can't believe one game can have so many different genres put together. It's like the final space game."

So cute I wish I could frame it :D

mr.WHO
x4

Re: This just turned up on the Steam forum..........

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 17:19

Yeah, there is simply no other game with such scale, detail and variety.

Except EVE, but EVE is multiplayer and I want to have a life offline :)

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 17:40

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 24. Apr 20, 17:19

Except EVE, but EVE is multiplayer and I want to have a life offline :)
THIS in a nutshell.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 17:44

EVE is my perfect drug...I mean game.
If I ever touch it, it's a game over man.

X-series is much safer for me.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 19:06

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 24. Apr 20, 17:44

Interesting. I stopped playing online games for a couple of reasons.
1. Main one was that it took too much of my time which I couldn`t control (I always stuck around cos people kept asking me to and I like being in a team).

2. I like knowing that a game I paid for I can play completely freely Offline if I feel like it. I`m old enough to remember original Elite so wasn`t impressed when the Devs of that game made modern Elite Online only.

Online Gaming can be a terrible drug and I recognise that, I`ve never played EVE, but i`m pretty sure that would be really bad for me.
Last edited by Socratatus on Fri, 24. Apr 20, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 19:11

mr.WHO wrote:

Indeed. I played EVE at release for a couple of years, as long as I was a student. Then I got a REAL job and bought X3:R instead.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 19:36

Artean wrote:
Fri, 24. Apr 20, 19:11
mr.WHO wrote:

Indeed. I played EVE at release for a couple of years, as long as I was a student. Then I got a REAL job and bought X3:R instead.
Hehehe i made some compareable expiriences.
I lived a long time in c5 and c3 wormholes, and sometimes it was a lot of work to siege and get siege, or stand up early because of end of reinforcement and so on......
But now i am old :D better to be the greatest in X than a tiny outlaw clanlead in a online universe.
Sometimes i miss those days.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 20:05

Just a tip that if this gets too EVE or other game oriented rather than mainly discussing X4 then It will be moved over to Off Topic. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 05:00

I have 6 kids, and 3 of my boys have started playing, I finally got them off Fortnite and onto awesome games like X Series. And they are very similar, one of my boys is Autistic and his skill on picking up the techniques to command his fleets etc is incredible. My boys actually talk plans on attacking enemies, each have their own factions they like and loathe so its awesome to see them talking about taking down each others factions in their games etc. There is no other game that can do this for my kids, they are loving the game!
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:09

Maybe your boys aren`t autistic, but just smart?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:31

Socratatus wrote:
Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:09
Contrary to popular belive, Autism is not a static condition, but a spectrum.
What you think about it high severity end of spectrum (usually caused by complex mix of physical brain condition that person has from the birth).

However, there is huge number of people at mild spectrum - it's not a strech to say, that everyone is at least at some far mild end of that spectrum that you don't even notice (usually caused by psyhical dammage in childhood - usually by some non serious event, that we later laugh upon when we grow up - this is what people describe as joke meme "mildly autistic", but this is actualy not too far from the truth) It's displayed in every person quirks and unusual behaviour patterns.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:31
Socratatus wrote:
Contrary to popular belive, Autism is not a static condition, but a spectrum.
What you think about it high severity end of spectrum (usually caused by complex mix of physical brain condition that person has from the birth).

However, there is huge number of people at mild spectrum - it's not a strech to say, that everyone is at least at some far mild end of that spectrum that you don't even notice (usually caused by psyhical dammage in childhood - usually by some non serious event, that we later laugh upon when we grow up - this is what people describe as joke meme "mildly autistic", but this is actualy not too far from the truth) It's displayed in every person quirks and unusual behaviour patterns.
Yea, I`ve always had a suspicion that what we call `autistic` today for most kids is really just being normal, inquisitive and active, especially when it comes to boys.

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:49

Socratatus wrote:
You can have stupid autistic people. I'm sure they wouldn't say their kid was autistic if they weren't diagnosed and I'd trust the opinion of a medical professional over some rando on the net.
Socratatus wrote:
Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:41
Yea, I`ve always had a suspicion that what we call `autistic` today for most kids is really just being normal, inquisitive and active, especially when it comes to boys.
If that was really the case then there would be no cause for getting a child tested then and thus the condition wouldn't have been defined in the first place.

"Oh doctor, my child is being ACTIVE AND INQUISITIVE!"

"EGADS, HE MUST HAVE THE AUTISM"

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:51

... and over we go.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 28. Apr 20, 06:50

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:51
... and over we go.
The moment you were waiting for, I know it, lurking in the forums all day, waiting for the perfect moment to strike and move another thread to OFF Topic! That's what you were trained for all your life, finally being able to execute a strike with perfect precision!

Well done!
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. Apr 20, 12:21

It was nothing ... :wink:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 4. May 20, 05:32

Hello to some former EVE pilots :)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 28. May 20, 12:33

Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:49
Socratatus wrote:
You can have stupid autistic people. I'm sure they wouldn't say their kid was autistic if they weren't diagnosed and I'd trust the opinion of a medical professional over some rando on the net.
Socratatus wrote:
Sat, 25. Apr 20, 13:41
If that was really the case then there would be no cause for getting a child tested then and thus the condition wouldn't have been defined in the first place.

"Oh doctor, my child is being ACTIVE AND INQUISITIVE!"

"EGADS, HE MUST HAVE THE AUTISM"
I knew it! Damn vaccines!

Loved the thread, though.
Especially the stealth and cunning James Mod (aka Alan or 00X) moved it to "Off Topic".

Return to “Off Topic English”