EA Origin game on Steam - what's the point?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

EA Origin game on Steam - what's the point?

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 11:09

Can someone tell me what's the point of having games from Origin on Steam, when you still required to install and run Origin?

Someone might prefer to have all the games in one client, but for above you still need two client. I assume that if Origin would went down, the games on Steam would become useless anyway?

What's the point? Am I missing something?

P.S. I'm aware that some games, like C&C Remaster don't require Origin, so I'm asking about the ones that do need Origin.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Re: EA Origin game on Steam - what's the point?

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 11:14

I think it's a market strategy: you have your game on the larger gaming platform (Steam), even if you need some Origin api to access some content (e.g. online content).
It was the same for GTA V, requiring Rockstar Launcher, iIrc.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 13:21

EA are getting desperate I think, I think they did it because people weren't buying as many games on their platform. But yes, you still need their client, which is really annoying. Also I heard reports that some games that need product keys to activate, aren't getting any keys, (mainly old games, but some news ones too)
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 13:37

matthewfarmery wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 13:21
EA are getting desperate I think, I think they did it because people weren't buying as many games on their platform. But yes, you still need their client, which is really annoying. Also I heard reports that some games that need product keys to activate, aren't getting any keys, (mainly old games, but some news ones too)
That make sence for EA, but what is the benefit for customer?
The last Ubisoft game I got on Steam was Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon, but I didn't noticed it need UPlay and there was not proper refund policy on Steam back then :/
To this day I don't buy any Ubisoft game on Steam (I don't buy them outside of Steam too, but this is another story about how boring and generic the cypical open-world Ubisot games are).

I don't mind the games that have their own launcher (e.g. Total War Series has very good launcher), but having two client for one game looks bizzare for me.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 16:04

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 13:37
Generous of you to assume that EA cares, even a tiny bit, what benefit this has for the consumer...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 16:15

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 16:04
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 13:37
Generous of you to assume that EA cares, even a tiny bit, what benefit this has for the consumer...
The benefit for EA is obvious.

I'm more interest about the thought process of a consumer who buy Origin game via Steam.
I'd really like to hear an opion of person who did this.
Maybe this is some kind of "origin light" that only run in the background only when you run the game via Steam?
or you have to install full, normal Origin that boot with the system stratup?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 16:37

More of a question than a statement as I don't play Ubisoft games or have an Uplay account, but don't you ned to be logged onto Uplay to play Ubisoft games, even when those games were bought on Steam or other platforms.

The main idea behind these types of stores, game players or whatever they are, is to gather information, they are just basically spyware as they collect data about your gameplay, how often you play a game, what games you play, how long you play a game for. Some of them gather a lot more than just that, your IP address for example, so they know where you are playinng from or even the hardware specifications of you computer. Some of them justify it by saying but it's all anonymous data, or we do it for security reasons. None the less the real reason is to spy on what you are doing with their games, as the games belong to them not their customers.

And what do they do with al the data they gather about their customers, they sell it of course, we are all just a commodity for them to do as they please, as most people don't care or see anything wrong with them doing so.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 17:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 16:15
I'd really like to hear an opion of person who did this.
They really might not know better. Many years ago I bought a Ubisoft game (I forget which one) on Steam, and it wasn't until I fired it up for the first time that I realised it required UPlay in order to start, even if you launched it from Steam! I think that's the only reason I have a UPlay account now.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 19:14

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 16:15
I'm more interest about the thought process of a consumer who buy Origin game via Steam.
You'll be surprise how many people bought before reading the fine prints. :wink:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 03:33

The reason for other launchers is that games are not just inside of the one executable anymore.

The launchers that you mentioned do a number of things, they can update the game, provide extra content that spans multiple games, and a way to login for that content that spans multiple games.

A launcher comes with more things like a friends list, chat, if the game has more online content.

Steam app is a launcher too, and does provide some of it. But it isn't the only show in town, nor a game studio should rely on Steam to implement features for your specific games, because they won't.

Many also shops in their own right, because why be Steam exclusive. And you don't want to have very different systems on multiple platforms - that's just bad experience and bad development.

So that's why those launchers still pop out even if they do some less work. Sometimes they are less noticeable, sometimes more.

-Just your friendly evil online developer ;)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 04:46

So how do you explain Epic, as it has none of those things.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 06:04

felter wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 04:46
So how do you explain Epic, as it has none of those things.
Epic Games Launcher you mean?

It's itself is a store; it updates games; it serves you ads; it has a friend list which I assume comes with a chat. Just like the others, but UI is a bit simpler.
It appears to be missing the Steam's equivalent of achievements, and Steam's overlay.
I dont immediately see DLC content, but it's there somewhere.

It's collecting hardware info about you, along with what you play, just like Steam and everyone else.

Can you install their games without the Launcher?
I imagine there's no way to get their games without Epic games account.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 06:37

Ah you probably meant games by Epic on Steam?

I don't know, and can only guess.

Maybe it's the licensing issues, since they are more often licensing their engine rather than publishing or developing.

Right now, they have no reason to as they are working on their own launcher and shop to compete with Steam, and becoming a publisher to take on big guys.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 08:39

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 03:33
The reason for other launchers is that games are not just inside of the one executable anymore.

The launchers that you mentioned do a number of things, they can update the game, provide extra content that spans multiple games, and a way to login for that content that spans multiple games.

A launcher comes with more things like a friends list, chat, if the game has more online content.

Steam app is a launcher too, and does provide some of it. But it isn't the only show in town, nor a game studio should rely on Steam to implement features for your specific games, because they won't.

Many also shops in their own right, because why be Steam exclusive. And you don't want to have very different systems on multiple platforms - that's just bad experience and bad development.

So that's why those launchers still pop out even if they do some less work. Sometimes they are less noticeable, sometimes more.

-Just your friendly evil online developer ;)

Thanks, I think this is the explenation I've been looking for.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 17:55

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 11:09
Can someone tell me what's the point of having games from Origin on Steam, when you still required to install and run Origin?

Someone might prefer to have all the games in one client, but for above you still need two client. I assume that if Origin would went down, the games on Steam would become useless anyway?

What's the point? Am I missing something?

P.S. I'm aware that some games, like C&C Remaster don't require Origin, so I'm asking about the ones that do need Origin.
Its incredible and I despise it. I absolutely hate origin and always have.

They are selling 'add non-steam game' shortcut for full price... "Blah blah comes to steam!". They havent even bothered to add the steam features to the games they have added... it is literally what I said, add a non-steam game feature, sold.

And people are falling for it! Most just buy and dont realise. They are buying a shortcut for a game they often already own on origin!!!

Its an incredibly anti-consumer trick they are pulling off and I hope if blows up in their face.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:17

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 17:55
And people are falling for it! Most just buy and dont realise.
Eh ... source for this claim please? I think most people would realize if they're paying twice for one game.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:39

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:17
Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 17:55
And people are falling for it! Most just buy and dont realise.
Eh ... source for this claim please? I think most people would realize if they're paying twice for one game.
I mean they probably dont realise that it requires origin to be running. And there is no source its just a wild speculation by me because anything EA makes my blood boil.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:48

If a person goes to two different stores to buy a game, they may end up owning two separate copies. Which is - yep.

Unless there is something underhanded, like a Steam user charged for one thing than you are still required to buy from EA directly, that would be even illegal I think.

Installing a separate launcher however is another thing.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:56

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:39
I mean they probably dont realise that it requires origin to be running.
Not to defend the practice, but it does say "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required." and "Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)" very clearly on the Steam store page for those games, so people only have themselves to blame if they don't read it.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 19:52

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:39
I mean they probably dont realise that it requires origin to be running. And there is no source its just a wild speculation by me because anything EA makes my blood boil.
Feel like that's still not the same thing you're claiming though. That's not the same-thing as paying for it on two platforms which seem to be what you're suggesting (pardon me if I got the message wrong). Steam is a '3rd-party' vendor, and it's not uncommon that a product requires some kind of activation from the original companies, in or outside of gaming. You post sounded to me you're accusing people are being forced to pay for game 'twice' in order to play.

Personally I don't see the big deal though. I have Steam/Uplay/Origin/Epic all installed on my computers. I only have steam launched automatically, all other platforms are set to only start when the game associated with them start. So aside from a one time 2minutes set up it doesn't feel any different for me. This means I can take advantage of whatever deals available. Kinda like a bargain hunter, I find the little extra effort on my part pay off in a long way, all of these platforms popping up with everyone want my money, gaming has never been so cheap before for the master race. In the previous generation I used to own all platforms, but one of the reason I just focus on PC gaming because the games on PC platform is SOOOOO cheap comparing to consoles game now. If you want to see what happened when there is little competitors on the distribution front, just look at the console landscape and you'll have a very solid economy reason why all of these different distributors on the PC are great despite some inconvenience.

Many years ago I would make a big deal out of it since all the other platforms beside steam used to suck a lot (just like steam in its early day), but most of the platform had gotten pretty good. Even Uplay is a lot more responsive and less draconian than it was during the settle 4 and Might of magic era (although given how people still talk about them, they either haven't updated their knowledge or still hold on to old grudge). Also we probably just go through the same cycle of argument again like we did with steam. Remember when steam first started becoming a thing? It was almost impossible to avoid complain on the nature of "why do I need to activate my store bought DVD on steam!? This is madness!! What will happen if one day Steam goes out of business!?!? My game is no longer my own!!" yada yada. Fast forward 10 years, I bet a lot of those original complainers will be very sad if Steam is gone now. :wink:

Return to “Off Topic English”