EA Origin game on Steam - what's the point?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: EA Origin game on Steam - what's the point?

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:17

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 17:55
And people are falling for it! Most just buy and dont realise.
Eh ... source for this claim please? I think most people would realize if they're paying twice for one game.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:39

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:17
Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 17:55
And people are falling for it! Most just buy and dont realise.
Eh ... source for this claim please? I think most people would realize if they're paying twice for one game.
I mean they probably dont realise that it requires origin to be running. And there is no source its just a wild speculation by me because anything EA makes my blood boil.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:48

If a person goes to two different stores to buy a game, they may end up owning two separate copies. Which is - yep.

Unless there is something underhanded, like a Steam user charged for one thing than you are still required to buy from EA directly, that would be even illegal I think.

Installing a separate launcher however is another thing.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:56

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:39
I mean they probably dont realise that it requires origin to be running.
Not to defend the practice, but it does say "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required." and "Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)" very clearly on the Steam store page for those games, so people only have themselves to blame if they don't read it.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 19:52

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 18:39
I mean they probably dont realise that it requires origin to be running. And there is no source its just a wild speculation by me because anything EA makes my blood boil.
Feel like that's still not the same thing you're claiming though. That's not the same-thing as paying for it on two platforms which seem to be what you're suggesting (pardon me if I got the message wrong). Steam is a '3rd-party' vendor, and it's not uncommon that a product requires some kind of activation from the original companies, in or outside of gaming. You post sounded to me you're accusing people are being forced to pay for game 'twice' in order to play.

Personally I don't see the big deal though. I have Steam/Uplay/Origin/Epic all installed on my computers. I only have steam launched automatically, all other platforms are set to only start when the game associated with them start. So aside from a one time 2minutes set up it doesn't feel any different for me. This means I can take advantage of whatever deals available. Kinda like a bargain hunter, I find the little extra effort on my part pay off in a long way, all of these platforms popping up with everyone want my money, gaming has never been so cheap before for the master race. In the previous generation I used to own all platforms, but one of the reason I just focus on PC gaming because the games on PC platform is SOOOOO cheap comparing to consoles game now. If you want to see what happened when there is little competitors on the distribution front, just look at the console landscape and you'll have a very solid economy reason why all of these different distributors on the PC are great despite some inconvenience.

Many years ago I would make a big deal out of it since all the other platforms beside steam used to suck a lot (just like steam in its early day), but most of the platform had gotten pretty good. Even Uplay is a lot more responsive and less draconian than it was during the settle 4 and Might of magic era (although given how people still talk about them, they either haven't updated their knowledge or still hold on to old grudge). Also we probably just go through the same cycle of argument again like we did with steam. Remember when steam first started becoming a thing? It was almost impossible to avoid complain on the nature of "why do I need to activate my store bought DVD on steam!? This is madness!! What will happen if one day Steam goes out of business!?!? My game is no longer my own!!" yada yada. Fast forward 10 years, I bet a lot of those original complainers will be very sad if Steam is gone now. :wink:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Fri, 24. Jul 20, 21:46

There are several reasons why I would buy a game on steam that requires its own launcher, be that Origin, UPlay or ... whatever else is out there.
- If i want a game that's on Origin, I need Origin installed anyhow. Steam I already have installed, so it is no drawback to own and start the game on steam compared to owning it on Origin. I usually don't check which launcher a game requires, as I really don't care. (Except Epic of course. That one I don't have installed.)
- I only autostart Steam on my machine, and rarely start the other launchers manually. Games I only own in them, but not in Steam tend to get forgotten about.
- My mother-in-law regularly gifts me Steam gift cards, which funnily enough, are only redeemable on Steam. Buying a game on Origin (or any other store not in the EU) directly usually adds 1€ to the price due to international charges, gift cards don't have that problem.
- Steam wishlist and sales. 95% of my game purchases (excluding bundles like Humble) are done from my wishlist with the "show sales only" filter on. Origin games are on Steam? I buy them if they are on sale. They are not on Steam? I probably won't buy them ... which wouldn't be a big deal, honestly, considering my backlog :roll:
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 25. Jul 20, 16:43

Mailo wrote:
Fri, 24. Jul 20, 21:46
(Except Epic of course. That one I don't have installed.)
I never installed Epic client, but I still claim their free game every week via Epic Store webpage in hope that one day Epic will convince me to actually use they client.
I wish Steam would do the better job with user notification about free games to claim.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sat, 25. Jul 20, 19:24

I just thought of a reason why everyone *should* buy EA games on Steam instead of on Origin directly ... Steam takes a cut of the profits, which means less money for EA :lol:
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 26. Jul 20, 19:00

Mailo wrote:
Sat, 25. Jul 20, 19:24
I just thought of a reason why everyone *should* buy EA games on Steam instead of on Origin directly ... Steam takes a cut of the profits, which means less money for EA :lol:
Heh ) you aren't wrong there. Game sales also translate into developer salaries.

I think it is best approach too, to get where games are cheapest. Unless there's a Dev one would want to support, then buy directly from them.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Return to “Off Topic English”