The Expanse - someone should make Mass Effect like game out of it

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

The Expanse - someone should make Mass Effect like game out of it

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 11:58

The TV series is amazing and I'm now going through the books (currently in the middle of Nemesis Games) - this is the first time where I can say that TV series is better than the book.
Even liberties that TV show change some characters and arcs is for the better (usually I'd complain that they do not stick to material).

I'd love the Mass Effect like game in this universe - with space combat, interactive ship like Normady, crew characters with their own mission arcs, FPS combat and some vechicles (like Mako rover in ME).
Various plots from UNN, MCRN, OPA, Pirates, Free Navy, Laconia.
Visiting Mars, Ceres, Luna, Ilus and other places.
Looking at that 1000km+ gate ring, flying inside Alien gate pocket dimesion.

How is that no one tried the ME formula ever since ME:A? The Expanse seem ideal universe for that game format.

clakclak
x3

Re: The Expanse - someone should make Mass Effect like game out of it

Post by clakclak » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 12:11

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 11:58
The TV series is amazing and I'm now going through the books (currently in the middle of Nemesis Games) - this is the first time where I can say that TV series is better than the book.
[...]
While I never saw the TV show, I am currently reading Babylon's Ashes, that is the one after Nemesis Games and I would agree that Nemesis Games is probably among the weakest books in the series, even though I still prefer it over the one that came before. Here is my problem with Nemesis Games, only a minor spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
Marco Inaros was never mentioned before in the books and he is not a very compelling villain. While his general anger over how the Belters are treated is understandable, his attack against Earth seems to brutal to gain a lot of followers. On top of that he is often SAID to be a charismatic leader, but we never SEE him lead. That goes against the golden rule of writing: "Show, don't tell." A cult like figure like him needs something special and I am afraid he just does not have it.

As for turning the Expanse into a game, I could see it going well if the right focus is selected and it is done by the right people.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 12:26

In in the middle of Nemesis Games and kinda feel the slower pace comparing to previous books, but I like:
- Gives a backstory to all main characters
- the lost ships conspiracy is nice
- visiting Mars

Nemesis Games as overall story seem weaker, but it provide lots of flavor and details for TV show and Video game to expand on.

Still have half of that book to finish, so maybe it will get better as in at the point where events seem to unfold.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 12:36

Mass Effect is a game that, in my opinion, changed the history of videogames. In a very small way, probably, but it's probably the last game which really changed "something" in the industry.
The Expanse is probably the best sci-fi show since Battlestar Galactica, even if it's made in a very scientifically accurate way (it's still fiction, but physics for example if quite accurate compared to classic sci-fi ultra-tech shows).
I honestly struggle a bit to imagine a game in that universe, but could be done. I'm not sure Mass Effect style would be the way to go, but I see a great potential in the setting.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 14:42

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 12:36
I honestly struggle a bit to imagine a game in that universe, but could be done. I'm not sure Mass Effect style would be the way to go, but I see a great potential in the setting.
We you have whole Solar system and more later to fly around. You have hero ship like Normandy. Shoot outs on stations, space and surface are major thing.
You have political story with multiple factions in Game of Thrones, plus dark ancient aliens like in Mass Effect.
Throw railguns, missiles and PDC for good space combat and you're set for Mass Effect like game (I always regret that ME didn't had space combat).

Also my personal strong point for The Expanse is that you do not bang aliens :P

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 14:57

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 14:42
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 12:36
We you have whole Solar system and more later to fly around. You have hero ship like Normandy. Shoot outs on stations, space and surface are major thing.
You have political story with multiple factions in Game of Thrones, plus dark ancient aliens like in Mass Effect.
Throw railguns, missiles and PDC for good space combat and you're set for Mass Effect like game (I always regret that ME didn't had space combat).

Also my personal strong point for The Expanse is that you do not bang aliens :P
You do not bang aliens, FOR NOW :wink: :lol:

I guess in a Mass Effect like game you're going to play as Holden. It can work, but the esploration potential risks to bring the game more on Andromeda direction than the original trilogy...

I wonder what would be the opinion of Egosoft devs and creative people, just for the fun of it.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 15:02

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 14:57
I guess in a Mass Effect like game you're going to play as Holden. It can work, but the esploration potential risks to bring the game more on Andromeda direction than the original trilogy...
I'd rather not play as Holden, becasue I'd know the entire story already.
I'd rather play as completely new character/crew/ship that would react to Holden story running in the background.

With so many factions would have plenty other stories to fill, like Earth-Mars war, rise of Free navy and Laconia, colonization rush, OPA terrorism.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 15:16

I'm not sure, if you're just the random guy around which the story evolves because of another character's actions, how is the game working? It looks like a life simulator in space and nothing much more.
What if, instead, the story in the game begins something like 50 or 100 years after the super gate opening? Or an appropriate amount of time, enough to end "Holden's story" and begin a plot you're at the center of?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 15:45

I think the biggest issue with this is that the Expanse (both TV and books) has much more "realistic" physics than your typical sci-fi (if we ignore the protomolecule shenanigans and the outright magic Epstein drive, of course). This means any game based on it would have to be like Kerbal Space Program with realistic manoeuvres between planets and the like, and I suspect most people wouldn't enjoy that!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Jul 20, 16:22

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 15:45
I think the biggest issue with this is that the Expanse (both TV and books) has much more "realistic" physics than your typical sci-fi (if we ignore the protomolecule shenanigans and the outright magic Epstein drive, of course). This means any game based on it would have to be like Kerbal Space Program with realistic manoeuvres between planets and the like, and I suspect most people wouldn't enjoy that!
Time compression or suspension of disbelive.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 9. Jul 20, 15:16
I'm not sure, if you're just the random guy around which the story evolves because of another character's actions, how is the game working? It looks like a life simulator in space and nothing much more.
What if, instead, the story in the game begins something like 50 or 100 years after the super gate opening? Or an appropriate amount of time, enough to end "Holden's story" and begin a plot you're at the center of?
Dunno if there will be anything left in the future - we still have a final novel to wrap things up - what if they will end the story with shutting down the rings?

Return to “Off Topic English”