Did someone just deployed tactical nuke in Beirut?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: Did someone just deployed tactical nuke in Beirut?

Post by Chips » Wed, 5. Aug 20, 23:38

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 5. Aug 20, 20:07
BTW I found out somewhere that explosion of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate is equal to 240 tonnes of TNT, so it's not in the kiloton range.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent

However, I don't know enough to say "direct comparison is more like 1200 tons" based on that alone - as there's factors at play (density and detonation velocity play a part in how destructive it is from really really bad old memory - so the equivalent amount of HMX does more dmg I think than TNT as it has more destructive force but i may be wholly wrong. I read it when a teenager and probably didn't understand it then either :D ).

I was always under the impression it's an oxidant and needs something else to react with (i.e. it's not explosive alone, it requires a reagent), but it appears I was a worse failed chemist than I thought :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate
At higher temperatures, the following reaction predominates.[7]

2NH4NO3 → 2N2 + O2 + 4H2O
Both decomposition reactions are exothermic. Consequently, when the mass of ammonium nitrate is greater than the critical mass the decomposition is explosive. Many ammonium nitrate disasters, with loss of lives, have occurred. The brown colour in an explosion cloud is due to nitrogen dioxide, a secondary reaction product.
Depending upon the manner of it's storing it'd provide the "confined space" to reach an explosion from burning alone without other reagents. I always thought it was mixed with diesel - but that's on that chart too (ANFO), so...

Should add - an awful thing to happen. The destruction is insane and the amount of people affected is constantly climbing.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 7. Aug 20, 14:28

President Moron said it was a Bomb, so lots of people will go on believing it is with or without proof now.

Nuclear? No, evidence would be impossible to hide. America itself has a non nuclear Bomb GBU-43/B MOAB capable of 11 tons of TNT worth of damage. That isn't close to what this accident did, but accidents have been known to make bigger bangs.

Incompetence and greed are far more dangerous than intent here. Why was so much material stored in unsafe conditions for so long?

It will come down to money, either someone didn't want to pay to move or dispose of it, or they were trying to sell it and wanted to save on storage costs.

People may or may not be jailed over this, but the victims will still be dead, blinded, permanently deaf or hearing impaired, all sorts of pressure change related injuries that tend to be permanent.

Is not good.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 11. Aug 20, 23:14

This story on the BBC website explains how it got there and some about the corruption and stupidity surrounding how it happened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53683082

There is also this about Ammonium Nitrate around the world: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53721136
An investigation has been launched into the storage of ammonium nitrate at a large port in Lincolnshire, Immingham, as well as at other sites in the Humber region.

Associated British Ports (ABP), which runs the sites, said UK ports had to follow strict regulations and ensure the substance was stored and handled safely.
I do wonder if the report will be made public...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Return to “Off Topic English”