Online shopping, PSD2 regulations in the EU...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Re: Online shopping, PSD2 regulations in the EU...

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 22:15

euclid wrote:
Sun, 9. Aug 20, 15:31
Seems I'm one of the rare species who do not need a mobile phone. Well, at least not anymore. I had one (my kids called it a brick) which was rarely used when the need arose (and then there was no signal .. dohh). Now regulations like the one mentioned in the OP are just a tool to make you need a mobile phone. In fact, some online features require a mobile phone number for the registration setup and it seems that those requirements have increased amonst the web services
from voluntary to compulsory.

Cheers Euclid
No, the regulations are there to dramatically increase account security for the user. Multifactor authentication for things like banks that are very important to keep secure for everyone means a smartphone is the most accessible way to provide it.

It really irks me when people look at something good like this and think its designed to be 'a tool to make you need a mobile phone'.

Why multi factor authentication is good:
https://youtu.be/hGRii5f_uSc
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 22:50

I take the points being made about increasing security, but a while back the banks issued account holders with card readers, so for those who maybe are not yet constant text device users (and request one), why not have the bank issue a small personal pager with a display for the bank security code? As the pager would be tied to the card or account transaction rather than associated with the family as a whole, it could be just as or even more secure than a mobile or smart phone. Further, the user families would not be running the battery down with all the other uses a (smart)phone can have.

Just thinking a bit outside the box.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Mon, 10. Aug 20, 00:12

You know, I got one of those card readers from my bank (PINSentry), & thought OK well now I'm tied to it at home.

Didn't think of course I can carry it around (with the card of course), a lot smaller & lighter than a smart phone.

It's a one trick pony device, however pretty sure the security is a whole lot better than a mobile text.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 10. Aug 20, 08:02

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Sun, 9. Aug 20, 22:15
It really irks me when people look at something good like this and think its designed to be 'a tool to make you need a mobile phone'.
Especially considering that the banks really have no reason for providing more custom for the mobile phone companies--it's not like they're usually run by the same people.

@exogenesis: the point here is not that the SMS message is a totally secure and reliable way of doing things, it just adds another layer of security to what's already there, and defence in depth is always better. I mean, they could require that every transaction be authorised using a special device with a fingerprint scanner on it, but that would (a) cost a fortune, (b) be really inconvenient because most people wouldn't carry such a device around and (c) would probably cause just as many complaints from people like yourselves saying "But I have to get *another* device now?".

Return to “Off Topic English”