wow, i must love the X series

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shokai
xr

wow, i must love the X series

Post by Shokai » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 00:48

I miss Yaguchi Mari

Shokai
xr

Re: wow, i must love the X series

Post by Shokai » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 00:55

someone must be able to beat that. I know all you x series fans are out there......
I miss Yaguchi Mari

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 03:23

Not sure of the point is but ok. Also alot of early dates are a bit iffy as there was a different forum around 99 that was green if i recall and when they moved to the new one i dunno if we had to reregister or it was a database move with us and we all got a year the same which is like mine or maybe earlier i dunno. Hard to recall that far back.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 04:18

Though I dont post much, I been around for quite some time, X Series player since Day 1 of the games. Enjoy every game for what it is, Looking at your Rebirth!! (Still had fun with Rebirth after a few patches) and now spending way to much time in X4
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 08:14

Should I post?

BTW, I am of the opinion that X4 does not belong in the X family, just uses the name to sell...

KopiG
x4

Post by KopiG » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 09:35

dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 08:14
Should I post?

BTW, I am of the opinion that X4 does not belong in the X family, just uses the name to sell...
I only had that feeling about X Rebirth. I really like X4 I think it does belong.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 17:22

KopiG wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 09:35
dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 08:14
Should I post?

I only had that feeling about X Rebirth. I really like X4 I think it does belong.
But it's only called X4 because nobody would have bought Rebirth 2.

Shokai
xr

Post by Shokai » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 19:29

Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 03:23
Not sure of the point is but ok. Also alot of early dates are a bit iffy as there was a different forum around 99 that was green if i recall and when they moved to the new one i dunno if we had to reregister or it was a database move with us and we all got a year the same which is like mine or maybe earlier i dunno. Hard to recall that far back.
That's right, there was an old forum. forgot about that. I just posted to see if there was other old time x players stilla round
I miss Yaguchi Mari

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 22:06

Shokai wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 19:29
Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 03:23
That's right, there was an old forum. forgot about that. I just posted to see if there was other old time x players stilla round
I've been on this forum for a while. My join date pretty much coincides with the release of X2. I had purchased X Beyond The Frontier sometime earlier but could never get it to run properly on the computer I owned back then. Weirdly enough, I could get X2 to run on the same rig from Day One.
Last edited by Freeholder on Sun, 6. Sep 20, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 22:26

I only started X games with X3: Reunion. I later got the earlier X versions as part of a Steam superpack, but could never bring myself to play them, since there was no "nostalgia" factor for me in the first place.

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Sat, 5. Sep 20, 22:59

There are still some of us here that rode the old forum over.

We were discussing BTF and then X-tension.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 6. Sep 20, 00:08

Sorry, but this isn't an appropriate topic for the X4 gameplay forum. Moving to Off-Topic.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 6. Sep 20, 00:18

Scarecrow wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 22:59
There are still some of us here that rode the old forum over.

We were discussing BTF and then X-tension.
Yep!!! And the consensus if I remember well was something like "less cinema and more action", especially the way Julian was moving in X2...

TBH, the "green" forum was in the RBBS era, which meant that you had to actually connect with it, or very early stages of Internet with 9,600/14,400 bps modems, so... not many people in there... especially difficult for the USians who had to connect overseas...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 6. Sep 20, 00:24

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 5. Sep 20, 22:26
I only started X games with X3: Reunion. I later got the earlier X versions as part of a Steam superpack, but could never bring myself to play them, since there was no "nostalgia" factor for me in the first place.
It's not a matter of nostalgia, in X3 there was a "massive" game engine change (like in X4). To play the previous engine you'll really have to overcome a lot of difficulties (different way of saving etc) and experience lots of differences.
That said It would be "educational" to "touch" these games, then go back to X3 to feel the difference (better or worse) then do the same with any X3 and X4 to see if this progressed, regressed or took a totally different route. IMHO X4 is not an X game but for the name and the company...

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 6. Sep 20, 17:56

Think there's plenty around still from many moons ago - whether they all play the games still is a different matter. Own them all, but not really played much since X Reunion tbh. Waiting a bit longer before I fire up X4 to see.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 7. Sep 20, 10:25

I just found an old backup DvD from when I was doing my Ph.D, and it's got some X3: Reunion savegames on it. Actually they're in profile sets for my old savegame manager, but that didn't alter the files themselves, and I could still get it working.

I have a new manager 90% done, but the initial version I tried of the X Rebirth game couldn't be played with the controller I was learning to use one handed, so I gave up. The new version was designed to work with all of the games though, so if I ever go back to it people might find it useful. Too busy right now, and I don't have the time to play games as a result.

Hopefully this will change.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 7. Sep 20, 12:03

dtpsprt wrote:
Sun, 6. Sep 20, 00:24
It's not a matter of nostalgia, in X3 there was a "massive" game engine change (like in X4). To play the previous engine you'll really have to overcome a lot of difficulties (different way of saving etc) and experience lots of differences.
I still think that X2 had the most beautiful space scenes in the entire series. The spaceships weren't as intricate or well-designed as X3, but there was just something about flying into Beacon of Hope in X2 that never got replicated in later games.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Mon, 7. Sep 20, 13:22

Been playing X games from BTF. Only joined the forums much later on... I've enjoyed every game. I have all my retail copies in the attic. Do you remember the days when games were still sold in retail boxes and you received posters, manuals, maps and sometimes even lore books? Those were the days...

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 7. Sep 20, 20:40

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 7. Sep 20, 12:03
dtpsprt wrote:
I still think that X2 had the most beautiful space scenes in the entire series. The spaceships weren't as intricate or well-designed as X3, but there was just something about flying into Beacon of Hope in X2 that never got replicated in later games.
Totally agree with this. As much as I enjoyed the engine upgrades of later games, the loss of those lovely sectors was something I definitely missed.

Weren't there also small toxic clouds you could get pirates to fly into? Either toxic to shields or hull depending on the type of cloud, so really dangerous in the early game, but also useful if you needed to shake off pursuit. I recall those being missing in a later game and sorely regretting their loss.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 7. Sep 20, 23:38

mrbadger wrote:
Mon, 7. Sep 20, 20:40
pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 7. Sep 20, 12:03
dtpsprt wrote:
Totally agree with this. As much as I enjoyed the engine upgrades of later games, the loss of those lovely sectors was something I definitely missed.

Weren't there also small toxic clouds you could get pirates to fly into? Either toxic to shields or hull depending on the type of cloud, so really dangerous in the early game, but also useful if you needed to shake off pursuit. I recall those being missing in a later game and sorely regretting their loss.
Iirc there was one such cloud in Ore Belt, south of the southern gate, which featured in a plot mission involving loads of Khaak. Took me several goes to complete that one.

I have fond memories of X2 but I think I preferred X3 overall, graphically as well as interface-wise.

Return to “Off Topic English”