Microsoft buys Bethesda

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Microsoft buys Bethesda

Post by felter » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:26

I'm going to throw this in here, even though it is BIG news and probably deserves it's own thread. <Merged into later single-topic thread. Alan Phipps>
Microsoft have just bought Bethesda games studio for $7.5 billion, so that means Microsoft now owns the Fallout and Elderscrolls series, amongst others. So hopefully that means Bethesda will stop putting out bug ridden games, that they never patch. At the same time, it may be bad news on other fronts like game modding as Microsoft are not exactly known for their games to be open to being modded. Only time will tell. I do hope Howard gets the boot though and they put someone in charge that cares about games and not just profit.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

notaterran
x3tc

Microsoft buys Bethesda

Post by notaterran » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:08

So that's why Bethesda pulled all that Fallout 76 crap; they were desperately worried about making money, and fixing the game was not a priority. I would've liked to see them go under, but let's see what happens now:
Major game franchises like Doom, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, and more will soon be Microsoft properties.
Link1

Link2
Last edited by notaterran on Mon, 21. Sep 20, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

felter
xr

Re: Microsoft buys Bethesda

Post by felter » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:26

I already posted about it in the random news thread. Personally I think it will be for the better, as Bethesda was just a mess in it's current form. Their games were just bad buggy messes, that had no love being put into them, they were just there to make money anyway they could apart from gameplay. One thing of note, Microsoft also owns Obsidian the original makers of Fallout, so that may or may not lead to something interesting.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:28

This could work out really well. Potentially Todd Howard filing for unemployment and actual progress towards TES6? I'm down. I just hope they keep a lot of the writers and graphic designers.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:35

From the article this seems to be just about Microsoft flexing its muscle with a power move with the acquisition, and not because Bethesda is in bad shape and desperate need capital injection, like Bioware was when EA acquired them. In fact, if anything it seems Bethesda is doing very well for itself with the multiple big projects coming out. As a player this doesn't effect me since I play all Beth game on PC anyway.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 21:09

If Bethesda were that desperate Microsoft wouldn't have needed to pay $7.5 billion. Although it's worth noting that they've actually purchased Zenimax Media, the holding company that owns Bethesda, not just Bethesda itself--and that means they also have Arkane Studios (Dishonored, Prey 2016), Machine Games (Wolfenstein newer ones), Tango (The Evil Within) and a little fly-by-night outfit you've probably barely heard of that goes by the name of id Software. That's some serious development power they've snapped up, along with the IP for Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and a bunch of others.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 01:25

One thing, I've not seen anyone whinging on about it, so most are okay with Microsoft taking over. Just imagine if it had been EA, Activision or Ubisoft you would never hear the end of it with the moans, groans and complaints.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 02:05

Now Microsoft own Bethesda and Obsidian... Fallout New Vegas 2 maybe? :D

First things first though; fire Todd Howard. Preferably out of a cannon into the Sun.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 02:49

felter wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 01:25
One thing, I've not seen anyone whinging on about it, so most are okay with Microsoft taking over. Just imagine if it had been EA, Activision or Ubisoft you would never hear the end of it with the moans, groans and complaints.
EA would have been horrible, for sure. That company needs less IPs, not more.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 08:37

Tycow wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 02:05
Now Microsoft own Bethesda and Obsidian... Fallout New Vegas 2 maybe? :D

First things first though; fire Todd Howard. Preferably out of a cannon into the Sun.
Fallout New Vista.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 14:18

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 21:09
If Bethesda were that desperate Microsoft wouldn't have needed to pay $7.5 billion. Although it's worth noting that they've actually purchased Zenimax Media, the holding company that owns Bethesda, not just Bethesda itself--and that means they also have Arkane Studios (Dishonored, Prey 2016), Machine Games (Wolfenstein newer ones), Tango (The Evil Within) and a little fly-by-night outfit you've probably barely heard of that goes by the name of id Software. That's some serious development power they've snapped up, along with the IP for Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and a bunch of others.
I'm hopeful about this like others, but I do worry about this many studios under one banner. Large corporations almost always looks to "synergise" operations which is code for cutting duplicate operations. It really comes down to how much autonomy an acquired studio has maintained as part of the acquisition agreement. In the case of Beth, I think there's a higher chance and likely their current projects will go on as planned. This wasn't the case with Bioware sadly who pretty much lost all their autonomy...

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 14:45

PC players won't have to worry, but it would be a shame if a series like TES or Fallout wasn't available for every console.

Still seems like PC/PS5 is the combo to go for.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 15:14

Y-llian wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 14:18
pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 21:09
I'm hopeful about this like others, but I do worry about this many studios under one banner. Large corporations almost always looks to "synergise" operations which is code for cutting duplicate operations. It really comes down to how much autonomy an acquired studio has maintained as part of the acquisition agreement. In the case of Beth, I think there's a higher chance and likely their current projects will go on as planned. This wasn't the case with Bioware sadly who pretty much lost all their autonomy...
MS hasn't done that with any of the game developers they've purchased. Bungie, 343, Lionhead and whoever else they own are fairly autonomous. They're just exclusive producers for Xbox and Windows.
rebellionpac.com

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:13

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 15:14

MS hasn't done that with any of the game developers they've purchased. Bungie, 343, Lionhead and whoever else they own are fairly autonomous. They're just exclusive producers for Xbox and Windows.
I'm not sure Lionhead is the best example here. After the acquisition things got very complicated and MS closed the studio in 2016. I remember being gutted by this as I was secretly hoping for a Black and White 3! Love those games 'worshippers need food!', not they don't - I'm an evil god... :twisted:

But to MS' credit they do seem to have left Bungie etc. alone for the most part - hence my quiet optimism in relation to Beth.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:39

Y-llian wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:13
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 15:14

I'm not sure Lionhead is the best example here. After the acquisition things got very complicated and MS closed the studio in 2016. I remember being gutted by this as I was secretly hoping for a Black and White 3! Love those games 'worshippers need food!', not they don't - I'm an evil god... :twisted:

But to MS' credit they do seem to have left Bungie etc. alone for the most part - hence my quiet optimism in relation to Beth.
You're right, I didn't catch that MS is independently producing the next Fable game. But it looks like Lionhead imploded and had little to do with MS. If anything it appears the consensus around Lionhead was they felt like MS purchasing them benefited them greatly and Lionhead actually expanded their operations after the purchase. They had some staff walkouts in 2012 and their director or CEO or whoever he was seemed like a bit of a nut case and ended up leaving too after he snapped at his staff. That was pretty much the beginning of the end for them at that point.
rebellionpac.com

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:53

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:39

You're right, I didn't catch that MS is independently producing the next Fable game. But it looks like Lionhead imploded and had little to do with MS. If anything it appears the consensus around Lionhead was they felt like MS purchasing them benefited them greatly and Lionhead actually expanded their operations after the purchase. They had some staff walkouts in 2012 and their director or CEO or whoever he was seemed like a bit of a nut case and ended up leaving too after he snapped at his staff. That was pretty much the beginning of the end for them at that point.
These things are always complicated and rarely the fault of one person. But in the end, MS owned the studio and they could've chosen to resolve the issues rather than just close the studio.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 17:36

Y-llian wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:53
These things are always complicated and rarely the fault of one person. But in the end, MS owned the studio and they could've chosen to resolve the issues rather than just close the studio.
There comes a point where the money it would take to "resolve the issues" becomes not worth the effort. If Microsoft hadn't bought Lionhead in 2006 then the developer would have gone to the wall back then, so you ought to be grateful that they gave the company an extra 10 years of life, not criticising them for closing it down.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 20:45

Here's something else to consider. Not too long ago, MS bought Minecraft... just 1 game, for 2.5 billion. Seems like all of the IP they gain with buying Zenimax is a bit more frugal even if you just stick to the AAA titles like TES, Fallout, and Doom with 2 other potentially big new titles dropping soon.
rebellionpac.com

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 22:39

There goes my hope for Skyrim and FO4 ever to appear on GoG. :x
I bet any new Beth games will be MS-Store exclusive titles. Well, that's what the internet calls a free market these days. :|
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 23. Sep 20, 02:58

Personally I don't think Microsoft will make a lot of those future games xbox/pc exclusives, they may be timed exclusives but I do think they will release a lot of them on multi platforms. Also Microsoft may have bought Zenimax but the deal does not go through until June 31st 2021, so they have limited say on what happens till then.

Also Minecraft is the perfect example on how they will probably treat the deal, as they have basically left Mojang to get on with it and minecraft is also a multi platform game, they have never tried to make it exclusive, too much money to be made and they have $7.5 billion to make for this deal to work.

Return to “Off Topic English”