Confused old man needs a little Graphic Card advice.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Confused old man needs a little Graphic Card advice.

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 13:14

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 7. Oct 20, 12:17
Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 7. Oct 20, 11:22
Ah, I want a separate SSD to network for network access for family (old scanned photos and more recent digital photography) and I'd like that distinct from my own drive. I should've made that clear, sorry!
Well, if this drive is only accessible over the network then I'd argue that having that on an SSD is a complete waste--you're limited by the speed of your network most of the time in that case, not the drive.
But I get nostalgic sometimes too! LOL

It's a small one off investment, and I have noticed issues with loading time when I flick through pictures at the minute.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 13:26

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 7. Oct 20, 12:17
Well, if this drive is only accessible over the network then I'd argue that having that on an SSD is a complete waste--you're limited by the speed of your network most of the time in that case, not the drive.
I do agree. A one Gbps connection does transfer at most ~110 MBps. That is about same what one HDD can transfer.
Obviously, if your home network has 10 Gbps links (or the new 2.5 Gbps), then the limit is higher. :roll:

Multiple simultaneous users could benefit from better iops of SSD, but not much. Browsing photos is not that intensive.

What you could consider is a dedicated NAS. Low power network device designed to share files and media to clients. You can put SSD's in them too.
Everybody can get nostalgic with NAS even when X4 brings your PC to a halt. :P
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 13:47

Oh Lord, this is all getting a little complicated for my seen-better-days brain. I think when the day comes to change PC, and it is very close now, I'll just be told what to buy. One thing I've learned, and that's that my own judgement is more flawed than a skyscraper.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 13:52

It isn't just you Gavrushka. When even CBJ is posting 'What he said', then you know that subjects are getting (too) techno-complicated. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 14:28

LOL, well it's good to know the midden heap of the intellectually throttled-down has such notable names!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 14:54

"Sufficiently described" is IMHO more kind term than "too complicated". The latter begs for "Hold my beer!" :wink:
Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 7. Oct 20, 13:47
Oh Lord, this is all getting a little complicated for my seen-better-days brain. I think when the day comes to change PC, and it is very close now, I'll just be told what to buy. One thing I've learned, and that's that my own judgement is more flawed than a skyscraper.
As it happens, we just got this very fine snake-based oil that ... :roll:

In the meantime, NAS means network-attached storage. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage
Some reviews of those products: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

I have one NAS (or three, but the first two don't count). It has 2 * 4TB drives, as mirror so effectively 4TB. Mirror means redundant; either one physical disk can break without NAS losing any data. I've copied/archived photos, etc there and try to get Windows to write backups on it as well.

[techno]
For a while I did share a part of the volume via iSCSI protocol. I had operating system (not Windows) installed on the NAS; just bootloader was on my PC. All disk access was over the network, and the PC was essentially "diskless thin client". More fun than fast.

The NAS that I have has HDMI output, so it could act as "HTPC" (whatever that is), but it can also "stream" over network to TV (or to network-connected loudspeaker).
[/techno]

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 7. Oct 20, 18:39

I second the NAS recommendation. I have an almost identical similar setup to jlehtone. As a bonus to the shared file storage, the NAS can be set up to do additional network tasks; mine's set up to provide ad-blocking right across my network, for example (apologies to those who rely on ads for income, but you abused my tolerance with too many malicious and intrusive ads, so now you get nothing).

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 9. Oct 20, 12:07

I'm convinced. After appreciating just how little performance benefit can be gained from throwing a bucket of money at an expensive system, I'm comfortable with getting an NAS, and perhaps some decent photo scanner along with a new PC for a not dissimilar price to I'd originally intended to spend on a replacement PC.

Now, if I can just find a photo scanner where you can slap a load of photos into a feeder, and have the thing automated, I'll be in Nirvana!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 21. Oct 20, 16:09

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 7. Oct 20, 00:10
Euclid, I'd love to hear what framerate you get on a megafactory, and whether or not it was affected by changing graphic settings. As stated earlier, I tank to 22FPS with my I7 8700 when on my shipyard, but it isn't affected at all by changing graphic settings.
Sorry for the delay but it's a tricky question because of the various graphics settings. I've tested many combination and decided to go for the eye-candy rather for the performance. As of now I get around 30 fps close to any of my super station (like the player HQ) using the following settings:
  • 2560 x 1440 full screen
  • SSAA 4x
  • No VSync, no Colour Correction
  • Textur high
  • Shadows high
  • Soft Shadows on
  • SSAO high
  • Glow high
  • Chromatic Aberration on
  • LOD Settings 100
  • Effect Distance 100
  • Radar high
  • Screen Space Reflections medium
It's also worth to mention that I have assets in almost all systems, around 150 station, 500 ships of which are 20 AutoTraders and the rest combat ships on defense/patrol duty. Xenon and HOP are wiped out and their systems are now owned by me. So there is a lot of information flow and scrpts active which contributes to the overall performance.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 21. Oct 20, 19:45

Your system does run rings around mine. - The I7 8700 isn't bad, but it is the framerate limitation around my shipyard.

I run it at:

1920x1080, full screen.

Bog-standard 'ultra' and the top option to 'high' (the SSAA options are below it, as I remember.)

Triple buffered VSync.

Although on any ship I stick at the 60 VSync limit, my shipyard is the worst offender for performance, as mentioned, with 22 FPS. Other big stations, I do stay above 45 now, but I think the huge difference is I'm in a much lower resolution than you. - Apparently an Nvidia 1660 would suffer an aneurysm if set at 'ultra' above 1920x1080.

What I do see from performance stats is the 10th gen I7 is very similar in single core performance to the I9, which is close to twice the price, but is still likely to be the bottleneck with X4, even when paired with a midrange graphic card.

Return to “Off Topic English”