Recommendations on my next game: X² or Rebirth

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RoyDanton
x4

Recommendations on my next game: X² or Rebirth

Post by RoyDanton » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 12:19

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently considering whether I should spend my time on finally completing the story of X², since I never really got to do that when I was younger, or if I should buy X Rebirth and play that for the first time ever.
As of right now I have over 600h in X4, but my save games are too big to really be played wiht stable performance until I get to upgrade my CPU.

My question aims at members that have played both X² and Rebirth: as objectively as you can recommend one over the other, which should I rather invest my time in?

I hope y'all are staying safe, kindest regards
Roy Danton
Last edited by RoyDanton on Mon, 9. Nov 20, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Recommendations on my next game: X² or Rebirth

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 12:38

You say Rebirth in the title but Reunion in the text, which is it? I definitely wouldn't recommend Rebirth personally, I thought it was a subpar game in almost every respect.

RoyDanton
x4

Post by RoyDanton » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 12:46

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 9. Nov 20, 12:38
You say Rebirth in the title but Reunion in the text, which is it? I definitely wouldn't recommend Rebirth personally, I thought it was a subpar game in almost every respect.
My bad, I quickly mix up names that sound similar, it should be fixed now!

Right now Rebirth is only 9€ (22 for the collectors edition), would you say that makes a difference or does that not affect your opinion whatsoever?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 12:50

I didn't mind Rebirth. It IS a pretty big departure from the other X games but there's parts of it I rather enjoyed. Just be ready to do a ton of scanning stations if you decide to play it =p And accept that you only get to fly 1 ship.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 13:05

Rebirth is a great space game. But for me, it is totally ruined because of that single ship you are confined to which you can't even adjust to your playstyle. In this regard it is worse then Darkstar One - there you had at least the possiblity to transform your only ship into either a gunship, a trade vessel or a fighter. In X:Rebirth you are always stuck with a fighter on steroids.

Literally everytime I boot it up to enjoy the great sector designs and overall fidelity I stop playing it after some minutes because I can't bear it to fly the Skunk any longer :(

So my advice: check that single ship constraint - if you are a fighter pilot you could have a lot of fun with X:Rebirth. A dedicate frigate captain wouldn't. A fleet admiral or trader might get some fun as well. The latter should be good as well - as long as they don't enjoy flying different ships. :)

X2 on the other hand is always a solid choice IMHO 8)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 17:17

For me, so far, the highpoint of the X series is X3TC with the Litcube Universe mod. I hope that, one day, something similar appears for X4.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 10. Nov 20, 09:14

I know it's kinda an unpopular opinion, but I really like Rebirth as a game, even with the single ship. I loved how you built modular stations and I'm grateful X4 station building followed that road.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 10. Nov 20, 10:51

I absolutely loved X² way back when, but I doubt it'd be easy to go back to these days with the quality of life improvements in the more recent games. Sadly I can't comment on Rebirth as I've yet to play it despite pre-ordering... Hell, I've only recently moved on to Albion Prelude.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 10. Nov 20, 13:51

Rebirth is a completely different experience then all the other games. It is more like an RPG that was later updated to be more like X4.

When it comes to personality, effects and especially story, XR is way better then X4. Not that difficult to pull off, but still :P
Gameplay wise the whole game is like a tech/gameplay demo from which many things didn't work out, while many other things you will find in X4 again. The DLCs are not super important.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”