Ordering New Custom Built PC in a Week...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Ordering New Custom Built PC in a Week...

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 12:29

red assassin wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 12:14

Not at all, it just seems easier to switch to 2*16GB modules and be able to fit them either to a board with two slots, or to a board with four slots and have space for upgrades, rather than to change motherboard to fit 4*8GB in. (I always find choosing a motherboard one of the more annoying bits of PC builds.) Shouldn't make much difference to price.
Yeah, I would've done that, but all the 32GB options available from Palicomp are 4x8GB. I guess that's for cheapness or maybe to force purchasing a more expensive MoBo?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 16:02

Ram timings

https://youtu.be/Yed-a9vqTYc

The case can store 3 regular hard drives with cooling, uncooled hard drives can fail more: to three 3.5" hard drives can be installed on the bottom of the case inside the tunnel

Case is also atx so you can reuse the case with most normal mainboards.

For hard drives some hard drives have "burst memory" that's basically used as ram for the hard drive. This lets the hard drive do some tasks faster and decreases the wear on the hard drive. The warranty offered usually reflects this. Like hard drives with d-ram and d-ramless hard drives. It might also be a factor in hard drives slowing down over time.

Based on the case builds I guess your also going to run into the water cooler orientation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 21:36

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 28. Nov 20, 21:09
You're thinking of Dual Channel, which is an unrelated feature whereby the CPU can read from two memory DIMMs at the same time in order to further increase throughput (and which has existed since before DDR was a thing).
The i7 10700K has indeed two DDR4 memory channels. First gen Core i7 had three DDR3 channels, 3rd gen with Socket 2011 had four DDR3 channels, and 3rd gen Xeon Scalables have six DDR4 channels.
Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 12:29
Yeah, I would've done that, but all the 32GB options available from Palicomp are 4x8GB. I guess that's for cheapness or maybe to force purchasing a more expensive MoBo?
Four memory modules in those four memory slots, but only two channels mean that each channel will have two modules. One module per channel can be better than two per channel (although it really shows in server, where you could have three per channel), so "cheapness" sounds believable.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 09:18

@Burger - Great videos, and were a great help. - I feel the strong urge to build a PC from scratch now, but I'll resist! LOL

@jlehtone - I checked a few other custom builders, and they all offered 2 slot solutions for 32GB and higher, so I may just contact Palicomp about it before finalising the spec. - They offer 64GB (4x16gb) but not 32GB (2x16gb) and so they should be able to accommodate me.

*BUT* the issue it looks like I'm gonna face is availability of RTX 3 series cards, and I may have to put that an order and swap in my existing graphics card in the interim. - Hopefully there's new stock on order.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 17:03

Sat at Palicomp's checkout, waiting for support to ring me back to confirm everything is okay. - I've gone for three internal drives, but I believe an M2 doesn't use a drive slot, but attaches direct to the MoBo, yes? (Did I make that up?) - I've also gone for a secondary SSD and a 2TB mechanical drive. - I take onboard @burger's comments about heat generation, but I've the case maxed out with fans, and there's a 240mm radiator at the front for the CPU. I don't like hot computers...

I tried to get a discount (free warranty upgrade) but apparently parts are in such short supply and they're so busy, everything if full cost. PC weighs in at £2,200, which I'm more than happy with. - I just wish they'd call me back to confirm spec is okay so I can checkout! (Been waiting over an hour now...)

Thanks again to everyone who steered me towards an educated choice of spec.

*edit* PC will be here in 5-10 days, and the support guy rang to point out my spec was poohier than a hippo on laxatives, so changed a few things over, including the case, the cooler and the PSU...

...and it just so happened his Spec was more expensive. A fool and their money... :cry:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 20:30

What is the final list of components?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 21:28

It makes you wonder slightly at their customisation quality control if they offer you options that don't work well together without any contemporary notice in the selector though. :gruebel:

Probably a bad example: eg if this cooler, is not suitable for this cpu and mobo, with this graphics card, in this case, etc.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 22:22

Yeah there's no two ways about it, their site doesn't pick up for inconsistencies. - I only knew that there may be issues after I'd tried a site for the PC builders 'Gladiator' and it came up with a warning over a MoBo / RAM combination, stating the board may not support the speed of the RAM and may perform sub optimally. - Thing is, I trust the people, if not the site, and when I ran my current system, which they built 2 years ago for me, on the CPU benchmark website, every component performed way above the anticipated level as benchmarked in other systems, so I concluded they know what they're doing.

The dude I spoke to did point out that there were growing shortages of certain components, but also pointed out there was a higher than expected failure rate with the CPU cooler I'd chosen.

The final system spec (including 3 years collect and return hardware/software warranty) is:

Code: Select all

Qty	Product Name
1 	GameMax F15M 
1 	Intel Core i7 10700K - 8 Cores - 16 Threads - 3.8/5.1Ghz Turbo 
1 	COOLERMASTER MasterLiquid 240mm Lite AIO Water Cooler 
1 	ASUS PRIME Z490-P - USB3.2 Gen2, SATA6 + M.2 + RGB 
1 	32GB DDR4 3600Mhz - CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 
1 	1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe - 3500MB/s(R)-Up to 3000MB/s(W) 
1 	960GB ADATA SU650 SATA3 - 6Gb/s 
1 	2TB SEAGATE SATA3 - 6Gb/s, 7200 RPM & 64MB Cache 
1 	SAMSUNG 24X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer & Dual Format 
1 	nVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB - HDMI-DP - VR Ready 
1 	850W PSU - CORSAIR RM850X Gold - 90% Efficiency (High Gaming) 
1 	WINDOWS 10 PRO - 64Bit incl Licence 
1 	PCI-E USB3.0 Card - 4 Ports 
1 	ADVANCED - OS Tuning For Best Performance For Windows 10 
1 	EXTREME - Cables Hidden To Keep Tidy & Increase Airflow 
1 	Max Out All Case Fans For 120mm - Corsair 
1 	STANDARD - Upto 10 Working Days - FREE UK DELIVERY 
1 	3 YEAR RETURN TO BASE Warranty 
1 	Monday - Friday Via DPD 1 Hour Delivery Window 
1 	3 YEAR CAREFREE WITH FREE UPGRADES IN NOTES 

I know going for 3 storage devices is a little unusual, but my thoughts were the mechanical drive could be a cut/paste place for if the two SSDs get full, rather than an uninstall/reinstall. I hope I can do that... :gruebel:

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 22:52

I think you'll be happy with the 3070, Gav. I've not found a game that taxes it too much yet.

Titanfall 2 is glorious at 4K :D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:17

Well, I was pretty overawed with Titanfall 2 on a 28" HD screen, so yeah I sure am looking forward to it in 4K on a 49" one.

But I imagine X4 *would* tax the 3070 (and likely 3080) in 4k with the new volumetric fog introduced in the last update, but I intend to give that a try too.

And I received an email last night to say 'watch out for the dispatch notification' so I'm getting excited. LOL - This is the second most expensive PC I've ever bought in absolute terms. - The most expensive one was 23/24 years ago, complete with 2.5GB HD, 16MB of memory (I upgraded it to 80MB and considered myself a god amongst men...) and a Pentium 166 processor.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 10:40

New computer arrived an hour ago, and it's superb apart for one problem... None of the original case fans work! - The additional ones and CPU cooler work, but not the case-supplied ones.

I tried ringing tech support, but they're not taking calls due to Covid-19 (Yeah, that made me scratch my head too.) So I've had to email them, and they will apparently respond 'within 24 hours.'

Temperatures on the drives aren't ideal, but nothing fearsome. On a brighter note, it boots up in three heartbeats, and the CPU idles at room temperature! :o

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 10:50

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 8. Dec 20, 10:40
None of the original case fans work! ... the CPU idles at room temperature!
Are you sure these two aren't related? You can sometime set fans up to only operate when needed, to keep the noise down. Check the BIOS settings.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 11:09

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 8. Dec 20, 10:50
Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 8. Dec 20, 10:40
None of the original case fans work! ... the CPU idles at room temperature!
Are you sure these two aren't related? You can sometime set fans up to only operate when needed, to keep the noise down. Check the BIOS settings.
Yeah, there's no power to them, unfortunately. - There's a remote control for the fans and flashing LEDs button on the case, but they're not responding. - I've a desk fan blowing through it at the minute, and all temperatures are good.

Performance is decent from components, according to userbenchmark.com. - I just wish I could get the fans working. Should I check the Bios? - On the CPUID HWmonitor, there's a mention of chassis fans 2,3 and 4, complete with speeds, and I guess that must be the two base fans, and the double CPU watercooler fan.

Code: Select all

UserBenchmarks: Game 158%, Desk 105%, Work 159%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - 101.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 - 154.9%
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 285.2%
SSD: Adata SU630 960GB - 107.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 121.1%
RAM: Corsair CMW16GX4M1Z3600C18 2x16GB - 108.7%
MBD: Asus PRIME Z490-P

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 12:43

I can see the power connectors for the fan, and there's only one connected to the AIO pump, which is the CPU cooler. - There's nothing connected to CPU_Fan (normal I guess with liquid cooler) or to CHA_FAN1, which is where I guess case fans should be connected to...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 12:43

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 8. Dec 20, 11:09
On the CPUID HWmonitor, there's a mention of chassis fans 2,3 and 4, complete with speeds, and I guess that must be the two base fans, and the double CPU watercooler fan.
Those will be the fan headers on the motherboard, but if you have a separate remote control for your fans, chances are they're not being run from those but from a fan controller plugged directly into the PSU, which CPUID won't be able to detect.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 15:32

The "GameMax F15M" describes a "GameMax Hub" that you can connect 6 fans and 3 RGB-strips to. The Hub gets power from PSU via SATA power cable. There is additional marketing text about controlling leds and fans with "compatible motherboard" (and with the remote).

Hence, I would look at PSU-Hub linkage (or better yet get the service you paid for).

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 16:48

Yeah, I waited until they called back, which they just have. - The controller is very tight against the case side, and the SATA cable had been partially unseated. Pushed it back in, and now the flashing lights are driving me insane. I've been to nightclubs with less lumen. The memory sticks flash, the graphic card flashes, and now the damned fans. I'm surprised they don't supply a couple of glowsticks so I can bust a few old man moves while I work...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 16:56

That is called 'gaming progress'. I'm surprised that they don't have the fans emit a synchronised background rap beat while you use the PC.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 17:07

I now have this image of a disco ball hanging from your ceiling and coloured floor panels that light up when you step on them. Thanks guys.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 8. Dec 20, 17:41

Well, now your fans are working then the remote control presumably will be as well, does it not give an option to tone the bling down a bit?

Return to “Off Topic English”