Star Wars extended universe being reintroduced as canon? (Mandalorian spoilers)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Star Wars extended universe being reintroduced as canon? (Mandalorian spoilers)

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 18:06

I just finished watching the latest episode of the Mandalorian and got to see Ahsoka Tano kick some ass. But she drops a bomb towards the end of the episode revealing she's searching for Grand Admiral Thrawn.

I've always had a kind of semi obsession with Thrawn. For those of you that don't know, or don't remember, Thrawn was the main antagonist of the TIE Fighter game and the original "Thrawn Trilogy" of books back in the 90's. It really fascinated me that with the empire's extreme xenophobia that a Chiss was able to rise in the ranks and end up becoming the commander of the remaining imperial forces after the fall of the empire.

I'm excited about this. I hope this also means we may be getting to see a revival of Rogue Squadron as well, as they were the primary group that thwarted Thrawn on multiple occasions.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

brucewarren
x3tc

Re: Star Wars extended universe being reintroduced as canon? (Mandalorian spoilers)

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 18:38

While I have not seen the Mandalorian I hope the answer to your question is no. I would prefer that the Expanded Universe or "Legends" is not
made canon, or at least not all of it.

Mr Zahn wrote some good stuff and Thrawn is that rare thing - the Imperial with some good points, but he also created the ysalamiri
which I happen to regard as worse then the midichlorians.

As far as I'm concerned the Force is supposed to be some mystical thing. In "A New Hope" one of the Imperials specifically laughs at
Vader for believing in "that old religion". Probably not laughing after the Vadar chokes him, but all the same.

I didn't like the midichlorians because they reduced the Force to something biomechanical. I feel the that ysalamiri do much the same thing.
Being able to cancel it out with your anti-Force bubbles felt all wrong to me.

The other trouble I have with the Expanded Universe is that some of books tried to explain everything. The films worked for me because
things were not explained. There was mystery and stuffs. I also have a problem with the handling of the Kessel Run in the books.
As you know Mr Lucas made a goof when Han Solo refered to his run in Parsecs which is a measure of distance. One of the books tries to
explain this away by having the run be through a region of space bounded by black holes. Only a fast ship could use the shorter route. A slower
ship would have go further to avoid falling in. IMO it would have just been better for Han to admit that he made a mistake.

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Star Wars extended universe being reintroduced as canon? (Mandalorian spoilers)

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 19:08

Um, Thrawn was the main antagonist in Star Wars: Rebels, which I'm pretty sure is considered Disney canon considering all four series of it were produced after Disney bought Lucasfilm? So this isn't indicating any sort of change, unfortunately.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 19:11

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 27. Nov 20, 19:08
Um, Thrawn was the main antagonist in Star Wars: Rebels, which I'm pretty sure is considered Disney canon considering all four series of it were produced after Disney bought Lucasfilm? So this isn't indicating any sort of change, unfortunately.
Oh for real? I didn't watch any of the cartoons.

Didn't they also resurrect Darth Maul? I know he had a cameo at the end of Solo. Dunno what happened to him in the timeline after that.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 22:14

Both Ashoka and Thrawn were reinroduced in Disney Rebels (the show was so-so, but the Thawn part was very good).

I wouldn't hold my breath for more Ashoka or Thrawn at all in Mandalorian - this would distract too much from Mandalorian as a main and that Moff Gideon as main villain.

However there are a lot of rumors that Disney want to make full fledge Ashoka and Gina Carano (forgot what was the name of her character) spin-offs.

I bet Ashoka and Thrawn would be the center duo of that series.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 28. Nov 20, 13:24

brucewarren wrote:
Fri, 27. Nov 20, 18:38
While I have not seen the Mandalorian I hope the answer to your question is no. I would prefer that the Expanded Universe or "Legends" is not
made canon, or at least not all of it.

Mr Zahn wrote some good stuff and Thrawn is that rare thing - the Imperial with some good points, but he also created the ysalamiri
which I happen to regard as worse then the midichlorians.

As far as I'm concerned the Force is supposed to be some mystical thing. In "A New Hope" one of the Imperials specifically laughs at
Vader for believing in "that old religion". Probably not laughing after the Vadar chokes him, but all the same.

I didn't like the midichlorians because they reduced the Force to something biomechanical. I feel the that ysalamiri do much the same thing.
Being able to cancel it out with your anti-Force bubbles felt all wrong to me.

The other trouble I have with the Expanded Universe is that some of books tried to explain everything. The films worked for me because
things were not explained. There was mystery and stuffs. I also have a problem with the handling of the Kessel Run in the books.
As you know Mr Lucas made a goof when Han Solo refered to his run in Parsecs which is a measure of distance. One of the books tries to
explain this away by having the run be through a region of space bounded by black holes. Only a fast ship could use the shorter route. A slower
ship would have go further to avoid falling in. IMO it would have just been better for Han to admit that he made a mistake.
The thing is, There were more Jedi, and Vader did end up betraying most of them. The Jedi order had existed for a long time. But yes, I guess they can be considered as rare, not everyone will have access to the Force. But by the time of "The New Hope" there were almost extinct.

I don't know if "The knights of the old republic" was considered cannon? but I think that did take place 1000 years before the films. It has a rich history, and what we probably seen is just a fragment. After all. it will be difficult to really do that universe justice, especially with Disney in control. (not a big fan of their work so far) You need more creative talent, and a lot less BS concerning stuff like human ethics / race. (but that is another topic) So really, the best you have hopes for are books etc, and let your own imagination fill in the blanks.

Edit

Another issue is, how much money will Disney have to throw at a project? especially if it was to have a large cast. And I feel that is the reason why many series don't do a universe justice enough, same with Star Trek, etc, you see a lot of guests, but you only see one permanent character, only if he / she was to replace another. That's always been the problem, and why series can never do a rich universe like the star wars universe justice. Simply don't have the manpower, the budget for that level of undertaking.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 05:03

Doesn't sound like money is going to be an issue for Disney... Just found this. Doesn't tell much but given other things that have popped up lately, this may be a sign of what's to come.

There's a ton of new Star Wars things on the horizon, including a series on Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Alderan, among others. Sounds like Disney is going all in on Star Wars.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 08:50

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 27. Nov 20, 19:11
pjknibbs wrote:

Didn't they also resurrect Darth Maul? I know he had a cameo at the end of Solo. Dunno what happened to him in the timeline after that.
I don't know for sure, but I think Solo is set before episode one, when Maul was still alive.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 10:24

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 17. Dec 20, 08:50
Vertigo 7 wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I think Solo is set before episode one, when Maul was still alive.
Naw, no way. Han joined the empire to be a pilot after ditching life on Corellia. That movie was between episodes 3 and 4. There was no empire until episode 3.
rebellionpac.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 12:02

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Darth Maul appears in Star Wars: Rebels, which is most definitely set after episode one--one of the main characters is a Jedi who managed to avoid Order 66 and has been on the run ever since.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 09:07

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 17. Dec 20, 10:24
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Vertigo 7 wrote:

Naw, no way. Han joined the empire to be a pilot after ditching life on Corellia. That movie was between episodes 3 and 4. There was no empire until episode 3.
I think it's before. In Solo Han gets the Falcon for the first time and apparently he didn't do anything wrong to Jabba the Hutt, yet. Isn't the Kessel Run before episode 3?
pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 17. Dec 20, 12:02
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Darth Maul appears in Star Wars: Rebels, which is most definitely set after episode one--one of the main characters is a Jedi who managed to avoid Order 66 and has been on the run ever since.
I'm happy he survived, then. He's a good guy with a complicated life, isn't he? :| :twisted:

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 09:16

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 09:07
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 17. Dec 20, 10:24
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:

I think it's before. In Solo Han gets the Falcon for the first time and apparently he didn't do anything wrong to Jabba the Hutt, yet. Isn't the Kessel Run before episode 3?
Nope. Between 3 and 4. The whole Kessel Run was to evade an Imperial Star Destroyer that didn't exist in episode 3. There's something like a 20 year time frame between episodes 3 and 4. Again, there was no empire until episode 3.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 09:47

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 09:16
Nope. Between 3 and 4. The whole Kessel Run was to evade an Imperial Star Destroyer that didn't exist in episode 3. There's something like a 20 year time frame between episodes 3 and 4. Again, there was no empire until episode 3.
It makes sense, I was wrong indeed. I didn't remember there was all that time between 3 and 4.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 14:39

Well they finished season 2 of the Mandalorian on a high note and teased a spin off series on Boba Fett. Luke even made an appearance at the end. So it looks like the Mandalorian was intended as a platform to launch off a bunch of other series and movies.

I haven't looked to see if they're going to continue the Mando story or not, but they did leave it open to do so, at the very least.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 20:09

Nice thing is that Mandalorian will get 3 spin-offs and all 3 of them are atractive.

Looking at the last episode I really wanted to see more of that Asian sniper girl - with Bobba spin-off my wish come true.
I hope the SJW won't cancel Gina Carano and she will be the main star of Ranges of the Galaxy.

I'm also suprised that my favorite scene was when Mando took out his helmet to say farewell - I'm happy that they make Mando character progression to get rid of helmet rule - it was rather awful for Actor to be faceless - I only recently realized that the guy playing Vader and Vader voice actor was not the same person.

It didn't helped that his first face reveal in S1 was very ugly visually (I was like eewww - put that thing back on) - fortunately it looks like it was bad/too much characterization and the later scenes in Imperial base and in final episode are much better.

Seems like 2021 will be great come back of Star Wars.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 21:47

That last episode has a rating score of 9.9 on IMDB with over 8,000 votes, that's pretty darn good, I don't think I have ever seen a score like that before.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 00:56

felter wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 21:47
That last episode has a rating score of 9.9 on IMDB with over 8,000 votes, that's pretty darn good, I don't think I have ever seen a score like that before.
It was very good. Even the guy that showed up as a post RotJ Luke was a pretty good look alike and played the part well. Curious if they're going to do a spinoff with him and Grogu as well - though nothing I've seen has indicated that. But given there's at least 10 additional SW projects on the horizon, it certainly is in the realm of possibility.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 11:56

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 19. Dec 20, 00:56
felter wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 21:47
It was very good. Even the guy that showed up as a post RotJ Luke was a pretty good look alike and played the part well. Curious if they're going to do a spinoff with him and Grogu as well - though nothing I've seen has indicated that. But given there's at least 10 additional SW projects on the horizon, it certainly is in the realm of possibility.
Wasn't Luke face in the episode done via "deep fake" technology using old Mark Hamill footage? For spin-off they would have to got for more expensive 3D face modeling like they done with Tarkin in Rogue One.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 08:45

I like the actor chosen to play Mando, it's the normal guy, not the super handsome man they often use. Perfect dad face.
Perhaps in season 3 we're going to see one episode with Luke, I expect Mando going back to Grogu at some point.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 22:02

It's funny how no one is mentioning that Mando is now the leader of the Mandalorians. That is what that sword kind of means, as all of the Mandalorians will follow whoever holds that sword into battle. It's why the Princess wanted it and she wont fight Mando for it one on one, as she would loose and she knows that, and as you seen Mando can't just give it to her as she would loose face and no one would follow her. So Mando is now the leader of the Mandalorian pack.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”