Graphics card recommendations

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Roeleveld
x4

Graphics card recommendations

Post by Roeleveld » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 10:51

Hi all,

I think this is more a question for the developers, but anyone lucky enough to have one of the new GPUs might be able to help as well.

I am currently using a RTX2070 Super and am mostly happy with the performance.
But, I am using a 3440x1440 @ 100hz display and would really like to see an average FPS of 60+ (at high or ultra settings)

None of the reviewers seem to play X4, so I am asking here for when the cards become available.
What kind of GPU do I need to save up for considering 4.0 will include Volumetric fog?

Will a RTX3080 be able to pull this off? Or will this be underpowered and I need to look into a 3090 (at 1600+ euros definitely above budget) or 6900XT?
The latter would more likely be a 6900XT, considering the prices I see.

Many thanks in advance.

Max Bain
x3ap

Re: Graphics card recommendations

Post by Max Bain » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 11:20

The game needs a good cpu (single core) much more than a good gpu. Even with a 3090 you won't have constant 60 fps if ur cpu is not very well.
So better invest in the newest Intel or what I plan, the new ryzen 5900 for best single core performance.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 11:30

Lord, I don't always get 60FPS in 1920x1080 with a 3070, so I don't think there's a CPU/GPU combination that'll give you a constant 60FPS at 3440x1440. I use ultra settings with MSAAx4, and drop to mid 40s around my huge shipyard with 100s of ships about *BUT* that is the cpu limiting things, and I've an I7 10700K, with the I9 making almost no difference. (I've 32GB of Corsair 3600 RAM and an M2 NVME drive.)

I think you'd have to teleport into the future to guarantee the level of performance you're hoping for at that resolution!

I don't think there's a quantum leap in performance between the 3080 and 3090, but there is a quantum leap in price! LOL

Link to performance difference between 3070 and 3080: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4083vs4080

Link to performance difference between 3080 and 3090 https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4080vs4081
Last edited by Gavrushka on Sun, 13. Dec 20, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 11:35

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 12:07
As I've explained quite a few times in previous discussion, a guarantee of a "stable 60 fps" from this kind of game is an unachievable goal. We are simulating the entire game universe all the time, and we don't put artificial limits on how many objects can be in one place at any given time. There will always be situations where the framerate will drop, and those situations may or may not correspond to there being more visibly on the screen for the GPU to render, because more often than not the limitation is on the CPU side.

For further advice on performance see also Imperial Good's X4 Performance Troubleshooting Suggestions.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 11:42

I did read that the 3080 does better at 3440x1440 in most games, compared to the 3070. (And the price for the 3080 comes within my budget)

My CPU shouldn't be a bottle-neck as I upgraded that to a 5950X. (I need the extra threads for other stuff, gaming is the 2nd priority when it comes to hardware)

I think it comes mostly down to if Nvidia or AMD are the "better" choice, considering the engine X4 uses.
Reason I put it like this, is because in most reviews, it depends on the actual game to see which provides the better performance and the choice comes down to which games someone prefers.

For me, I tend to play X4 the most, but I can't find any reviews mentioning X4-performance.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 12:22

Yeah, the 3080 will be far better at higher resolutions, but there simply is no way that any modern processor can keep up with X4 in all scenarios. the 5950x will edge the I7 10700k in gaming, but not by anything discernible to the human eye. I simply don't think there's a home gaming PC setup that will do as you ask, no matter how much money you have to spend.

There's some new CPU technologies coming out next year, as I understand, so they may come nearer your requirements, but I guess we're still a fair way from making a simulation as vast as X4 perform the way you'd like, unless the devs come up with some amazing way to optimise the game. (Which I imagine they already have to make it play as it does.)

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 12:36

Roeleveld wrote:
Sun, 13. Dec 20, 10:51
see an average FPS of 60+
I have never checked FPS. I won't even bother to find out how one can see such a number.
Back in 2006 the X3R in some conditions was probably (subjectively) SPF rather than FPS, but I was not bovvered.

Again, subjectively, I do not experience any difference* between GTX 970 and RTX 3070.
X4 did claim that 970 is short on VRAM in 3440x1440, but did I see a that? No.

* Ok, the dissappearing HUD bug is only in the driver version that 3070 has to use.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 12:45

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 13. Dec 20, 12:36

Again, subjectively, I do not experience any difference* between GTX 970 and RTX 3070.
X4 did claim that 970 is short on VRAM in 3440x1440, but did I see a that? No.

* Ok, the dissappearing HUD bug is only in the driver version that 3070 has to use.
I must admit, I struggled to see a difference between the 1660 and 3070 from a framerate point of view, and I think the big improvement at stations for me was down to a processor 2 generations faster along with faster RAM, *BUT* mainly down to moving from a mechanical drive to an M2 NVME SSD.

So why the hell did I buy a 3070 again? :gruebel: :D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 12:49

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 13. Dec 20, 12:45
So why the hell did I buy a 3070 again? :gruebel: :D
Probably for same reason as I did, but we have very strict NDA on that topic, don't we? :wink:

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 13:12

Yes, yes how true. It's a very small NDA mind, but not as small as the 3080's.

And the 3090's is ab-so-lutely tiny! :(

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 14:20

Ok, in other words, using 3440x1440, I am unlikely to notice any difference between nvidia and amd on same price range.
Guess it will be the first to show up in stock then. :)

Thanks for all the input.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 17:36

For station fps changing the setting below might provide the most fps increase. Might mess up inter station trading and stuff and decrease npcs on the station?

For station fps change in Documents\Egosoft\X4\53790910\config.xml and setting "<trafficdensity>0.01</trafficdensity>" from 0.50 and "<chardensity>0.20</chardensity>" from 0.50.

Just an fyi for mini map turning off filters helps a lot also.

For mini map fps performance - disable trade, mining, think and other filters when not in use

Return to “Off Topic English”