Ethernet Switch Box help...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Ethernet Switch Box help...

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 27. Dec 20, 15:01

So it's the damned corridor. Every visit to this forum sees my belief in my own intellect eroded a little bit further! :oops:

Just done video, of temps. - my M2 drive is located under the 3070, so it does get a little warmer than other components.

Desktop video of HWMonitor
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 27. Dec 20, 15:23

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 27. Dec 20, 14:31
Am I wrong in thinking running air across a radiator can cool the water within below ambient? Isn't that a basic physics principal, or am I having another suboptimal moment? - No other components get as cool as my CPU, but none of them have water cooling.

So maybe it really is a cool corridor*, but I do prefer PJK's wormhole idea...

*It's not a warm corridor...
I think you're perhaps confusing a radiator with an evaporative cooler, which absolutely can cool something below ambient. However, if your radiator is functioning as an evaporative cooler, you should be concerned!

As others have said though, I think the most likely explanation here is just that digital temperature sensor calibration is often a bit out, especially for something like a CPU where you're really just interested in making sure it doesn't cook itself, not in being an accurate measure of room temperature.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 27. Dec 20, 15:31

Now that made sense, thank you. Yeah, I knew water could freeze solid at above zero air temperature when a wind blew off the more excitable water molecules, and in my misguided mind air over radiator fins would do the same thing.

So it's simply the air being drawn in from the corridor (temp 14 Celsius) or slightly inaccurate temperature probes...

...or a wormhole.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Return to “Off Topic English”