Ethernet Switch Box help...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Ethernet Switch Box help...

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 20:28

I've a crappy little (powered) tp-link box with a smart tv, PC and SKY Q secondary box plugged into it, but it seems to struggle to share bandwidth properly between devices. - I've a very good Internet connection (around 70mb/s) but I find my Sky Q box continually losing connectivity when I even play a SD video on my PC.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a better solution, and does the category of ethernet cable make any difference when it's really only the Sky Q box (just streaming HD, not UHD) that has an issue. Smart TV has Netflix and Prime Video, but I never seem to have issues with that...

...Umm could it be a dodgy cable to the Sky Q box?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Re: Ethernet Switch Box help...

Post by burger1 » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 20:32

Tp link model number?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 20:43

I *THINK* it says TL SD 1005D on the back. Just replaced the cable (1180 1 Patch cord 17M with red plastic head and gold connectors ) with a cheapy one I'd used for my CCTV and still having issues...

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 21:41

Sky the worst ISP I have ever used and will probably never use again. They told me more lies than truths. Even their engineer who connected me up at the time had no clue what he was doing, as he connected my internet up to a noise filter which drastically reduced my internet speed, and then told me there was nothing wrong.

Anyway first thing what sort of speeds are you actually getting, if you have a laptop plug that into the cables that you are having issues with and do a Speedtest, I like to use Ookla which I have linked. Don't bother with Sky's own speedtest.

You also asked about cables, different cables have different speeds, normally most patch cables are cat5/ca5e which can handle speeds of 100Mbps/1Gbps respectively and you say your speed is 70Mbps, so it should be fine. I think I use cat6 with some cat6a which has a max speeds of 1Gbps/10Gbps. My Ethernet cable is cat7 which is 10Gbps. So as you can see the different cables can make a difference. You should also try the different ports on the switch to see if it is a broken port. Also the gold part will make little to know difference, gold connectors work great on analogue signals as it helps cut interference but don't make much difference to a digital signal. My speedtest I just did was 20ms ping, 203.98 Mbps download and 20.13 Mbps upload and I don't use gold connectors. I also use a good switch as in it's a Cisco switch, expensive but it allows me to be able to play around with the settings but is pretty much over kill.

First thing though is to test the ports and cables, you might also want to test the port on the router/switch SKY gave you just plug the cable into that port and straight into a laptop and do a speedtest, just to make sure you are getting the speeds you think you are getting.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 21:44

If it's sg1000D: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet ... r=1-1&th=1

what port you have it plugged in might matter?

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx ... _al_al_hza

When I connected the router to port #1 I got about 10 mbit speed to any device that was plugged into any other port. when I plugged the router in #5 as the instructions illustrate, I got 100 mbit. verified with speedtest.net.

I had my input plugged into #1, got 95mbit, plugged into #5, got 260mbit. Apparently it does matter.

Since the switch has an option to get power from a USB port, I powered it from my AT&T modem's USB port. It worked OK, I had 2 of the 5 ports connected to Gigabit devices, which worked great. Gave me full 1 Gbps. When I connected a 3rd-gigabit device, it showed connected at 1 Gbps but it would limit the speed to 100 Mbps. After trying a lot of different cables etc I realized it was not getting enough power, I powered it with the adapter that came with it, and bam! all ports started working at 1 Gbps ;) Sharing it so that others can avoid the mistake I made.

Might have Qos settings?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 22:22

That's the one I've got, burger1, and it's mains powered. Damn, it is a cheap thing... Which one do you use?

Just did a speedtest, and it came back at 68.73mb/s, which is pretty good for my provincial location.

I tried moving the ethernet router cable from next to the power supply to the furthest port, and the test came in the same.

Only change I noticed with new cable is I don't 'lose connectivity' and it did work when a video was playing on my PC, but when I downloaded a game from Steam (showing as only downloading at 3.5Mb/s, well under half my bandwidth) - I simply got tiny snippets to the Sky Q box. It does sound like once one channel is streaming hard, the box simply doesn't allow bandwidth elsewhere. - *IF* I download a game without the Q box on, it runs at 8MB+/s, which is as fast as my connection will allow.

I'm thinking I need a new box then. - I know Cisco well from having to pay one of their engineers a thousand quid a day back in my businessman life, a dozen or so years ago. - Felter, do you have the model for the one you have?

*edit* Just checked on Amazon. - The one I have is the only one without a 5* rating of the 'comparables.' Time for a change, indeed!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 22. Dec 20, 15:02

felter wrote:
Mon, 21. Dec 20, 21:41
I also use a good switch as in it's a Cisco switch, expensive but it allows me to be able to play around with the settings but is pretty much over kill.
A managed switch. One that you can log into to configure. For example to define VLANs (and perhaps have the switch route between those L3 subnets).

Unmanaged switch is dumb. No configurability. Just plug and play. The TL-SG1005D is an unmanaged switch. (Hence the price.)

I have an TL-SG108. Unmanaged and almost as cheap as TL-SG1005D. Can access NAS 70MB/s (or more).
A metal case, not plastic (in hope that heat dissipates a bit more).

TP-Link has more than one 5-port model. My SG108 ... was about the only 8-port that I can fit into cabinet (that has also EdgeRouter PoE-5).
I would prefer a 19" rack, but alas, houses are not built for "important things".

External power supplies can and will break too, although I've only encountered completely dead units.
Never noticed underpowered ones. Lack of evidence is not a proof ...
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Dec 20, 16:39

I literally just bought a TP-Link LS1005 because I needed a Raspberry Pi and my PS4 attached to the same network cable, and it was dirt cheap (less than £6!). Haven't really noticed any problems but then, I only have a max 40Mbit/sec download Internet connection anyway.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 23. Dec 20, 08:04

Yeah, I bought the TP-Link because it was crazy cheap, but I am seeing an issue with it being able to do more than one high bandwidth at a time. I see a halving of one bandwidth, but just a trickle getting through on a second channel, so I think I'll see about a managed switch.

I've another hub (Netgear I believe) and that's working brilliantly.

*UNRELATED QUESTION* because I've started my year's allocation of computer threads:

About 1 time in 5, after starting up my PC, some identified case fan surges, and stays surged. Only a restart drops it back down to the low setting. - Every time I do have to restart, there's the twin note 'uninstalled hardware' tune sounds out. - Now I've the three standard case fans with a fan controller, and it's not them. - They turn off with the remote control, but the noise remains. - I've twin fans on my watercooler for the CPU, a further two fans blowing down into the PSU/drive tunnel at the base of the case (a tailored upgrade I requested) and the three fans on the RTX 3070. My PC does a rapid boot (around 3 seconds from power on to login screen) and it never goes wrong when I click restart. Are there any PC detectives out there who can solve this conundrum?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 23. Dec 20, 15:20

One of the 3070 fans might not be acting like the others. Your 3070 a 0 rpm type. The fans spin up a bit at start (or don't on some models) then stop then don't work again until 50-60c or whatever you have a fan curve set to?

Having multiple fan control programs can interfere with each other.

Should be easy to figure out with the side case panel off.

Could try turning off fast start up in windows.

Power and sleep settings/additional power settings/choose what the power buttons do and uncheck the box next to turn on fast startup.

Cpu and gpu temperatures ok?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 23. Dec 20, 16:48

Gah, it has to be the 3070 fans... By a process of elimination, they're the only ones I don't have immediate access to without loading 'Thunder.' HWMonitor shows me the speeds of the other case fans, and the standard ones I have a controller for, so that only leaves the 3070 whose fans are all but hidden. - Next time it happens, I'll load thunder and check. - Thing is, I've control for two fans in thunder, but the card has three separate fans. - I've a user-defined curve for the two fans I can control, and that cuts in at 46 Celsius.

CPU temps, as I write this, are 18-19 Celsius, and the GPU is 26 Celsius. - Nothing ever gets above 60ish, even when stress tested. What I simply don't get is what is the uninstalled device or driver whenever I restart.

I've just manually powered the GPU fans up to 100%, and that's definitely the noise I hear... Maybe not quite so loud. - What I will do is switch off my User defined fan curve, and leave it to default... I've a feeling that's where the problem is now. - Thunder and the GPU's driver are both vying for control, and that may explain the uninstall on a restart.

And thank you! :)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 08:27

It isn't the GPU... 'Chassis 2 & 3' are spinning up fast according to HWMonitor, and these may be the PSU/drive tunnel fans I had added to the case during the build. Standard case fans and CPU fans are unchanged speedwise.

*edit* turned off fast start and rebooted. (It makes almost no difference in speed.) - As has happened before on restart, I got the twin sound of hardware being uninstalled...

*edit 2* after first bootup without fast start enabled, the twin note of uninstalled something sounded as the lock screen appeared, and fans are all running normally now on 1st boot. - On my last PC, I remember Windows defaulted to Fast start, and it locked it totally without a soft reset until I realised the cause. I just wish I knew what the uninstall note was, and why the added case fans (not linked to the fan controller) spun up like crazy. Might talk to Palicomp Tech Support in the New Year.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 12:24

Have you looked in Device Manager to see what's been uninstalled? (Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 13:19

I don't see anything missing, and there's no note as to what was removed, but I get it every boot now (the twin sound of an uninstall, but I never hear the triple sound of a reinstall, so it can only be something installing then uninstalling during the boot procedure itself. - There's no fan surging now, and I see the ACPI entry for each of the five case fans under system devices. I do have a four port USB 3.0 card installed, and that has a printer and external drive attached to it. - I might try moving those to MoBo ports and see if that makes a difference... - Ah and I've an Xbox compatible controller... Now that on my old PC would always boot as a weird device (display light on controller would go green, meaning it was configured for a different (wrong) device.) - Now the controller is recognised correctly, but I wonder if it might uninstall the crappy controller each boot.

I'll do some reboots and try and identify the culprit through a process of elimination. I just don't like not understanding what is happening, especially considering it's a new PC that cost me many arms and legs.

*edit* it's not the Xbox controller, nor either of the devices plugged into the USB expansion card.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 14:01

It's an ASUS or Corsair lighting driver. it's nothing to be concerned about. Happens on my machine too. The driver unloads itself, the hardware is "disconnected" and switches over to firmware presets.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 14:10

Ah, thank you! I did see some gubbins about it in the device manager, and that now also explains why it happens every time now I've turned off fast startup (which takes just as long as the, umm, long start up.)

I did a degree in computer science, once upon a time, but that long ago they taught COBOL & Lisp and Fortran... :|

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 14:15

knowing coding languages doesn't teach you how to manage your desktop OS =p if you really wanna learn the innerworkings of Windows 10, get an MCP certification, or whatever they're calling it these days. It won't take long but you'll learn a lot about some behind the scenes workings of the OS.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 14:32

You know, I might just go ahead and take some course or other! Microsoft are forever sending me emails about seminars, so I'll check distance learning stuff online. - Coding was just a part of the course, but I also got to do other things such as build half and full adders out of individual logic gates, with switches and LEDs to do basic maths and display the results. I never thought proving that 2+2 really did equal 4 could be such fun... LOL

*EDIT* I'm stupid... Regarding the original issue with unmanaged switch not giving sufficient bandwidth to my Sky Q box (a satellite to the main box.) Well, I unplugged the ethernet cable, and let it work wirelessly. Seamlessly. Effortlessly. I just can't believe I didn't think of this in the 1st place. - Box doesn't have anything to do with my broadband connection speed. - It receives its signal from the main box.

I am really that stupid... :oops:

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 25. Dec 20, 10:54

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 24. Dec 20, 14:32
*EDIT* I'm stupid... Regarding the original issue with unmanaged switch not giving sufficient bandwidth to my Sky Q box (a satellite to the main box.) Well, I unplugged the ethernet cable, and let it work wirelessly. Seamlessly. Effortlessly. I just can't believe I didn't think of this in the 1st place. - Box doesn't have anything to do with my broadband connection speed. - It receives its signal from the main box.

I am really that stupid... :oops:
That doesn't really make any sense. I mean, sure, if you have a bad switch then connecting wirelessly would improve your throughput but even with that, WiFi... bleh... wouldn't recommend it for gaming.

I don't really have a grasp of your network setup. Is your modem and router a separate device? If so, this is where I'm a bit confused, you have a switch between your modem and router?
rebellionpac.com

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 25. Dec 20, 11:22

Ah, I guess I never explained things properly. - The Sky Q box is for watching TV, and is a secondary box receiving a signal from the main box, not from the internet. - As my main Sky box* is connected to the router via Ethernet, I decided to do likewise for my secondary box. - Thing is, I've countless devices connected to the router, and I think part of the problem is the volume of devices as much as the bandwidth. - My PC is connected by ethernet cable, and always will be. Other PCs are connected likewise, but there's many tablets and phones and smart devices connected too. Now I have a perfect connectivity for watching TV, and it no longer compromises my PC's bandwidth (which was connected to the same unmanaged switch.)

And on the other problem, even with FastStart disabled, my added fans above the PSU tunnel are still spinning up on boot, but always dropping in speed if I 'restart.'

* The Sky Box is linked to a satellite dish, but the router connection is to allow downloading boxed sets / films, watching YouTube, Netflix and Prime etc. etc.

Return to “Off Topic English”