Learning the German language

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Teladi CEO

Learning the German language

Post by Teladi CEO » Sun, 24. Jan 21, 23:55

Hi,

As a United States resident we only have the option of learning French or Spanish, however I’ve taken an interest into German.

I was hoping that some native or new German speakers would be willing to give me some tips. I am fairly fluent in French if that helps.

Thanks!
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Learning the German language

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 25. Jan 21, 20:00

My real life atempt to learn German:
- I walk to book store to pick random learning course
- open on random page and read random phrase
- "I do not know these women"
- open again on random page and read random phrase
- "send my regards to your (male) spouse"
- I put book away and walk away

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 25. Jan 21, 21:30

First of all: good choice! German is a great language. :) If you learned French already, then that is certainly helpful, as you learned certain aspects of grammar which are not as distinct in English as they are in German or French. German grammar is still a bit more complicated than French. German also does not share as many words with English, as English does with French. And a lot of words that do look and sound similar may mean something completely different: False friends. So at first, learning German means remembering a lot of irregularities.

On the plus side, German is easier to pronounce than French and has some nice features, such as compound words. Also, once you've got the hang of things like having three genders for nouns, it comes in really handy when having to write texts.

As a native speaker, I don't have any specific advice I can give you for learning German. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 25. Jan 21, 22:20

I am not as enthusastic as X2 regarding your French skills, because those are two completely distinct languages. Sometimes I wonder how so different cultures and languages could develop along one border :D

Pro German:
- Everything is pronounced as is it written.
- Many, relatively speaking, words make some sense: Fridge = Kühlschrank -> Kühl-Schrank = Cooling cabinet, which is nice. To some degree we also like to develop our own words by putting other words desciptively together, in every day language :D

Con German:
- Similar in french [le, la, les -> Der Die Das] prepare yourself to hate them. They don't make any sense. Not even to German native speakers. We are more often then not arguing about them. :D
According to them a girl is an object, a box is female while cartons are male. Most of the time it is just a feeling of what sounds right.

Which is also my "advice" to get you an idea of where your journey is going. :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 25. Jan 21, 22:51

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 25. Jan 21, 22:20
I am not as enthusastic as X2 regarding your French skills, because those are two completely distinct languages.
German and French are certainly different. No need to argue about that. What I meant with regards to grammar is that comming from a language like English which only uses a neutral gender for nouns and often simple forms of declensions (if at all), it certainly helps when you've been introduced to a more distinct usage of these grammatical concepts. French also has lots of irregularities. Whereby that is probably true for a lot of languages.
Tamina wrote:
According to them a girl is an object, a box is female while cartons are male
My favourite example for that is "der Bus", "die Bahn", "das Auto". Three things (bus, train, car), still three different articles. :D However, while it requires a lot of time learning these genders - and it's really just that learning - it's super helpful for writing, when you can refer to these things with different (relative) pronouns.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 25. Jan 21, 23:27

Tamina wrote:
Why does 'e' in 'klein' sound more like 'a'?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 00:13

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 25. Jan 21, 23:27
Tamina wrote:
Why does 'e' in 'klein' sound more like 'a'?
Because it is combined with an i (ei). They build a "doublephone", that is two letters that are pronounced as a single phone, "ai" in this case. :)
They can be seen as an additional letter and are simple to learn because they are very consistent.

ei = ai - or just an English pronounced i
ie = stretched i
eu/äu = pronounced as "oü"
ch = imagine a cat hissing but very short
sch = equivalent to English shhh

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 01:04

Thanks Tamina and X2,

Sounds like I have quite a bit to learn. How does plurality work in German? Also, How does past and present tense work?

Besides for the genderization of words, do they have a certain spelling based on the gender they refer to. Like
In English, blond if it’s a guy, blonde if it’s a girl
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:01

Teladi CEO wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 01:04
Besides for the genderization of words, do they have a certain spelling based on the gender they refer to. Like
In English, blond if it’s a guy, blonde if it’s a girl
No, there isn't.
Teladi CEO wrote:
How does plurality work in German?
I thought a bit about it, but I didn't manage to come up with concise rules. There are certain plural endings "-n, -en, -e, -r, -er, -s", which are used based on the singular form and gender of the noun. This website has a nice overview. But there are too many possible combinations, and as mentioned on the website, "there are many exceptions to these rules". (For example: singular "der Baum" (the tree), plural "die Bäume" (the trees)). Therefore, my advice for learning vocabularies is to always learn the singular and plural form at the same time.
Teladi CEO wrote:
Also, How does past and present tense work?
That's a bit easier. Verbs usually have an infinitive form, for example "machen" (to make). You remove the infinitive ending "-en" and depending on the tense and personal pronoun you add a new ending:

For present tense that would be

(I) ich 				-e	-> Ich mache
(you) du 				-st 	-> du machst
(he/she/it) er/sie/es 			-t	-> er/sie/es macht
(we) wir 				-en	-> wir machen
(you plural) ihr 			-t	-> ihr macht
(they) sie 				-en	-> sie machen
For simple past that would be

(I) ich 				-te	-> Ich machte
(you) du 				-test 	-> du machtest
(he/she/it) er/sie/es 			-te	-> er/sie/es machte
(we) wir 				-ten	-> wir machten
(you plural) ihr 			-tet	-> ihr machtet
(they) sie 				-ten	-> sie machten
Obviously, it is not always as easy as this. Otherwise it wouldn't be German. All in all, there are 6 tenses, and you have to distinguish between regular, irregular and auxiliary verb forms.

Again, the website from above has a nice overview and some helpful explanations.
Tamina wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 00:13
ch = imagine a cat hissing but very short
I had to chuckle. :D

For pronounciation of "eu/äu" I would think that "oi" (or "oy") is closer. (Not sure if many English speaking folks know what "ü" sounds like.)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:42

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:01
................(Not sure if many English speaking folks know what "ü" sounds like.)
If you have some (phonetic) background in French then "rue" (street) is precisely the sound (without the "r" ofc). Concerning the German phonetics of "ch" it's the same as the Welsh "ll" (double L) as in Llandeilo. Of coure I'm aware that many (if not all) English folks have difficulties to pronounce that ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 22:08

"rue" is indeed a great example. :thumb_up:
euclid wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:42
Concerning the German phonetics of "ch" it's the same as the Welsh "ll" (double L) as in Llandeilo.
That on the other hand is a horrible example. :P When you listen to someone speaking Welsh, it sounds so nice. And then you see a written text, and it just looks so incomprehensible. :gruebel:

But I digress, so how's your German these days, euclid?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 27. Jan 21, 00:17

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 22:08
"rue" is indeed a great example. :thumb_up:
euclid wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:42
Concerning the German phonetics of "ch" it's the same as the Welsh "ll" (double L) as in Llandeilo.
That on the other hand is a horrible example. :P When you listen to someone speaking Welsh, it sounds so nice. And then you see a written text, and it just looks so incomprehensible. :gruebel:
Heheh, true. I live here more than 20 years now and still struggle to pronounce some of the Welsh words. Mind you, there are even words without any vocals :D
But I digress, so how's your German these days, euclid?
Spoken is still pretty good as we talk (most of the time) German at home. Written is a different issue. I kind of gave up after the 2nd(?) "Reform" of the German "Rechtschreibung", in particular things like Foto and Delfin, omg!!

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 16:10

Thanks to everyone for the help, you’ve given me the basics to learn German.

Now I just need to cut a hole in my schedule for time to learn German :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 17:32

You're welcome. :)
euclid wrote:
Wed, 27. Jan 21, 00:17
I kind of gave up after the 2nd(?) "Reform" of the German "Rechtschreibung", in particular things like Foto and Delfin, omg!!
Then you probably missed the reform of the reform. Nowadays, The Duden distinguishes between a recommended spelling and an alternative spelling. So, in theory both spellings "Delfin" and "Delphin" are okay to use, but the former is the recommended form.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sat, 30. Jan 21, 04:15

First of all, French ist NOT a language, it's an accident!

Second, good choice to learn one of the most fun languages in the world. I appreciate!
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Return to “Off Topic English”