Need tips for old electronics sell/disposal (Android, Win10)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Need tips for old electronics sell/disposal (Android, Win10)

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:13

Hi,
Recently I noticed that I have rather big stash of old unused electronics that I can either sell or throw out.

However I need some tips or manuals how to wipe/clean/reset these devices, so that it remove my personal data and leftover files.

I have two old phones with Android, one old ASUS tablet with Android and old laptop with Win10 (it was actually Win7, but Win10 install accepts Win7 key).

I recall that I can disconnect the devide from my google account to prevent it connect to my account, but what about other things, like file on the phone drive, e-mail etc. - is there some kind of wipe/reset function for Andriod devices?

Same question with Laptop with Win10 - I assume that serial key and Windows is assigned to that particular laptop, but what about my Microsoft account connection and data? Is there some kind of wipe out/ reset option for Win10 as well? I really don't want to format the system drive as it would take me hours to install drives & stuff again.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Need tips for old electronics sell/disposal (Android, Win10)

Post by CBJ » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:33

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:13
...is there some kind of wipe/reset function for Andriod devices?
Yes, there is. Use the Recovery Mode factory reset at the bottom of this article. I've used it myself to restore a device where the Android installation itself had become corrupted somehow, and it worked very well. However, be aware that this doesn't necessarily perform the kind of format-and-overwrite that you would need to perform to be absolutely sure that the data can't be recovered. Apparently the recommended method to be absolutely sure is to encrypt your phone using the Android settings first, then do a factory reset. Depending on how paranoid you are, you can also then fill the phone with garbage data (e.g. images downloaded from the internet) and perform a second factory reset.

The methods are similar for Windows devices, and will almost certainly include a format of the hard-drive at some point if you want to be sure you've really cleaned it.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:35

Of course, there's always the option of hitting the thing repeatedly with a mallet until there isn't an intact chip left in it. :D

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:41

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:33
Apparently the recommended method to be absolutely sure is to encrypt your phone using the Android settings first, then do a factory reset. Depending on how paranoid you are, you can also then fill the phone with garbage data (e.g. images downloaded from the internet) and perform a second factory reset.

The methods are similar for Windows devices, and will almost certainly include a format of the hard-drive at some point if you want to be sure you've really cleaned it.
I'm not that paranoid. The full wipe would be nice to make sure I didn't missed something, but my main concern is the safety of my Google and Microsoft accounts - I wouldn't want to sell my electronic trash only to find out later that my accounts got hijaked.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:43

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 26. Mar 21, 12:35
Of course, there's always the option of hitting the thing repeatedly with a mallet until there isn't an intact chip left in it. :D
Well - this is the option, but I'm kinda against destruction of perfectly fine device - you know environment, less pollution & sh*t.

Return to “Off Topic English”