Number Spoofing

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Number Spoofing

Post by euclid » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 19:28

I'm getting calls from people claiming that they've received dubious calls from my landline number. After some browsing I've learned that number spoofing has drastically increased and has become an instrument for fraud calls to mask their caller id and hence preventing blocking and trace backs. Due to my telephone provider there is nothing I can do to prevent that. Only the receiver of the call can block the number but as the fraudster will change the caller id to another number regularly, this will be a temporary countermeasure at best.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

felter
xr

Re: Number Spoofing

Post by felter » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 20:06

They usually use an IP phone, and they just make the number up, we get a lot of scam calls that use fake numbers and I can normally tell when they are scam calls before I even answer the phone, as a lot of the time it is just a made up number they use, but lately they have been using London numbers most of the time they are not registered numbers, but I suppose every so often they will use someone's actual number, I don't think they do it intentionally as I think they just make the numbers up. Currently, there is nothing you can do about it, there is a way that phone providers can stop it, but it requires a nationwide system to be installed, which is currently being installed here in the UK, but, yes there's a but, it won't come into effect until 2025 at the earliest I think it is.

If you ever watch some of the scam baiters the likes of Scambaiter, Jim Browning or Kitboga to name a few on YouTube, they use the exact same method when calling the scammers, so they are not giving out their actual phone number. But as I said in a few years time they will be putting a stop to it, so we just have to hang in there and annoy them when they phone. I will say the quality of the scammers from India has gone down recently as they do not seem to be able to go off script, which makes winding them up a little bit harder.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Number Spoofing

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 21:28

if you're an iphone user, the robokiller app is pretty damn nice. One of the few apps I've actually opted to pay for, and it's like $30/yr or something like that. Granted, it won't do anything to help with someone spoofing your number but it'll give you a drastic reduction in incoming spoofed calls and give some annoying outgoing messages to screw with scammers that you can chose from.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Return to “Off Topic English”