Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 19. Mar 24, 21:41

Observe wrote:
Mon, 18. Mar 24, 19:33
fiksal wrote:
Thu, 14. Mar 24, 03:14
Well I think this is the end of our conversation then
If you insist, though I don't see why. I've made it clear all along, that I think Ukraine is fighting a lost cause. I want what's left of Ukraine to live and thrive. You, on the other hand, seem to be in favor of Ukraine fighting to the last 'man', rather than admit defeat.

Best for Ukraine to seek peace and concessions, for tomorrow may bring opportunities to redress past wrongs. The words "He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day, but he who is battle slain can never rise to fight again" may apply here.

I would love to see Ukraine restored, but what's the point in kicking Russia's ass, if you lose your foot in the process?
History is filled with examples of lost causes that were not really lost. By all rights, the US should not have won the Revolutionary war against England, the world's superpower at the time. Yer we won it due in no small part to foreign assistance (thank you France!). And Ukraine can win this too, but it requires help from those countries that are opposed to tyranny to step up their game.

Ukraine only loses when they decide to give up the fight. I would far rather lose a foot kicking Russia's ass if it ultimately meant freedom for myself and my countrymen from Russia.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 19. Mar 24, 22:14

as another example, Russian history is filled with what the government like the current one does

my grandma received a letter saying that her father was not guilty when he executed, 50 years prior. My grandma was 7 yr old when her father was arrested, and her family was labeled as family of enemy of the people well into her 20s

that's the example of justice that you can have in Russia back then and now

I can describe in more graphic detail how her father was taken and held in a prison if you like
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 20. Mar 24, 07:52

Parts of Belgorod, Russia partially evacuated due to active combat. Russia blocked evacuations until the election was over. Russian troops are using the same scorched earth tactics as in Ukraine destroying all the buildings as they go along.

Russian refinery production reduced by 10-30%?

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 20. Mar 24, 14:14

Here's hoping that Ukraine can increase the frequency of the refinery attacks, hit the Russian economy where it hurts.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 20. Mar 24, 16:11

notaterran wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 24, 14:14
Here's hoping that Ukraine can increase the frequency of the refinery attacks, hit the Russian economy where it hurts.
... which then in turn might finally trigger some / enough surprised pikachus in the Russian society. Like "There is a war going on"? "Is everything under control?" etc.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 20. Mar 24, 17:34

Seems like Czechia ammunition program is starting to be delivered on Ukraine frontlines.

Another good news was from Germany - announced the delivery of 10'000 rounds of 155mm (a day worth of ammo), which sounded like a joke...untill it was followed by announcement of 290'000 rounds.

Seem like Ukraine is now safe, 155mm ammunition wise for next few months.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 14:33

Seems like the first steps after "Putin got confirmed in office" are coming in.

"Ukraine special operation" now officially switches to "war" and is only because western influences in Ukraine.

@source: theguardian.com citing Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov

Yeah, I can totally see it now. Us (the west) doing stuff in the Donbas and annecting the Krim. We really had to be put into place. :gruebel:

Or they try to say: "Russia is still at war because West helped Ukraine to defend themselves". But who knows these days - nobody clearly states their goals. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Spoiler
Show

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 17:35

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 22. Mar 24, 14:33
nobody clearly states their goals. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
Kremlin did, West [1] is just not listening

[1] not all of the "West"

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 18:42

Welp, time to kick off ammunition and miltiary production and start dumping the good brand new stuff to Ukraine.

...and stop f'around with those F-16 delays - bring back flying Tigers or 7th Air Escadrille:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tigers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Air_Escadrille

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 18:56

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 22. Mar 24, 18:42
...and stop f'around with those F-16 delays - bring back flying Tigers or 7th Air Escadrille:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tigers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Air_Escadrille
Just imagine those getting deployed & score actual victories :mrgreen:

Spoiler
Show

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 19:54

How convinient:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68642162

Aparently 40 people dead and 100 wounded.

I bet this will gonna be used as excuse to call full mobilization.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 20:49

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 22. Mar 24, 14:33
Seems like the first steps after "Putin got confirmed in office" are coming in.

"Ukraine special operation" now officially switches to "war" and is only because western influences in Ukraine.
So those that have...let me check...until yesterday been imprisoned for calling this war for a war will now be released?

Hет? Ah...silly me for asking...

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 21:01

@Warenwolf

That or Dmitry Peskov does a little "vacation" soon - or nothing happens at all.

Spoiler
Show

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 03:23

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 22. Mar 24, 19:54
How convinient:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68642162

Aparently 40 people dead and 100 wounded.

A terrorist nation experiencing a terror attack. ISIS claimed responsibility. A horrible thing.

But no parallels are to be drawn in Russia

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68634444
Ukraine war: Five dead and a million without power after wave of Russian strikes

A million people are without power across Ukraine after Russian missiles targeted energy infrastructure.

There is no electricity in the second-largest city of Kharkiv, the regional head says, and more than 53,000 households in Odesa are without power.

Ukraine's energy minister, German Galushchenko, accused Russia of trying to provoke "a large-scale failure of the country's energy system".

Russia said it was revenge for recent Ukrainian attacks on Russian territory.
Does anyone remember that Kharkiv and Odessa not that long ago were called Russian cities with Russian friendly populations by Kremlin? I remember.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 08:12

Isis seems to be taking the blame for the attack. It might have taken Russian police about an hour to show up which is a suspiciously long time. Russia was apparently warned by the US about the attack before it happened and Russia didn't try to stop it.

More refineries hit by drones overnight. Novokuybyshevsk and Kuibyshev refineries burning.

Just an fyi the US can't refine most of the oil it produces due to it being from fracking, etc... It's not energy independent and needs to import fuel, etc... US doesn't want to build the appropriate refineries for the oil types they produce or even any refineries it seems.

Indias refusal of more Russian oil might be due to refinery capacity being maxed out vs other reasons.

Republicans won't bring Ukraine aid bill up for voting and are away for 2 weeks. Johnson might get removed as speaker by the Republicans because he allowed a vote on the budget to avoid a government shutdown. More republicans leaving the party.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 13:29

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 08:12
Isis seems to be taking the blame for the attack. It might have taken Russian police about an hour to show up which is a suspiciously long time. Russia was apparently warned by the US about the attack before it happened and Russia didn't try to stop it.
The American embassy posted that an attack was imminent weeks ago.

But Kremlin isn't Kremlin if they won't get any advantage of this. ISIS I guess was too fast for them, they can only invent that they were working with Ukrainians.

More absurd versions are coming though, it takes awhile for the propaganda machine to go top to bottom

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 13:53

fiksal wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 13:29
But Kremlin isn't Kremlin if they won't get any advantage of this. ISIS I guess was too fast for them, they can only invent that they were working with Ukrainians.
This already started - Putin now claim Ukraine was involved because "suspects" were running away towards Ukraine direction.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 25. Mar 24, 07:34

2 more Russian military ships hit recently Yamal and Azov. Not much damage done to the ships from the looks of it. At least 2 black sea fleets communication/command centres damaged/wrecked. Might decrease their capabilities. More oil refineries and depots blown up. Japan might be delivering missiles to Ukraine in exchange for new ones from the US.

Wonder if US could just print money, put it on pallets and give them to Ukraine off the books for them to buy weapons from them. Might not have that much effect on the US. Could technically give Ukraine a printing press. Pretty sure someone got one as a gift/payment a long time ago.

Timed response from russian police to the shooting incident is apparently 1 hour 17 minutes.
Last edited by burger1 on Mon, 25. Mar 24, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 25. Mar 24, 07:51

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 24, 07:34
Timed response from russian police to the shooting incident is apparently 1 hour 17 minutes.
That's fast - in comparison to Putins response time until addressing the public...

Spoiler
Show

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 25. Mar 24, 17:38

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 24, 07:34

Too bad Russians didn't figured out super effetive methods when calling police:
- shout "Slava Ukraini"
- badmouth Putin
- call Ukraine War, instead of special operation

They would show up in full force in 5 minutes.

Return to “Off Topic English”