The Oldest Profession

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

notaterran
x3tc

The Oldest Profession

Post by notaterran » Wed, 8. Nov 23, 21:03

With all the calamities being reported in the news nowadays I thought I'd lighten the mood with this:
Three individuals have been arrested on charges of operating a “high-end brothel network” in Massachusetts and Virginia with a clientele that included elected officials, military officers and government contractors with security clearances, the Justice Department announced Wednesday.

“Pick a profession,” Joshua Levy, acting US attorney for Massachusetts, said of the sprawling client list during a press conference in Boston. “They’re probably represented in this case.”
Link

"Sprawling client list"...

In reference to "the oldest profession", I wish I'd paid more attention in literature class so I could write this entire post in old English (including the title). I wonder when was the last time that anyone used words like "harlot" or "strumpet" seriously.

Priest : "How's thy Journey?"
Knight : "Twas long and hard"
Priest : "Twas she proclaimeth"
Knight : "...."

If you want more check this comment section, including replies to comments.

I know that "coerce and entice" is not fun, I just thought of elected officials trying to avoid scandals but getting caught with their pants down by the police.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

fiksal
x4

Re: The Oldest Profession

Post by fiksal » Thu, 9. Nov 23, 00:59

high end, so not for common folk?

well done
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 9. Nov 23, 03:46

how do you know that's the oldest profession?
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 9. Nov 23, 11:40

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 9. Nov 23, 03:46
how do you know that's the oldest profession?
It is a common saying, not to be taken to literal. That being said the oldest record we have of it is 4400 years old. So we can be certain the idea has been around for quite some time.

The story of of the saying came to be is actually surprisingly interesting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_ ... n_(phrase)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 9. Nov 23, 14:55

Oh I know, more of a setup to a joke. "How do you know that's the oldest profession" "You know some neanderthal would give it up for some extra fish" "Then the oldest profession would be fishing - lawyered."
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Return to “Off Topic English”