being frugal is not the virtue (RAM consumption)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TroubledRabbit

being frugal is not the virtue (RAM consumption)

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 21:04

also observation, not a bug and maybe suggestion.

Linux, Beta 7 build 528286

The game is very careful in using the RAM (on my system it consumes 12GB at best, mostly less) which is theory great but... I have 26 GB to spare (32-2GB for shared VRAM - 2 for the all the bells & whisles of system & apps including awful Chrome-Steam instance).

Please get MORE! If the system allows (32 GB RAM is not really a great amount nowadays) maybe game should more freely grab and cache resources?
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Blitz4
x4

Re: being frugal is not the virtue (RAM consumption)

Post by Blitz4 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:56

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 24, 21:04
also observation, not a bug and maybe suggestion.

Linux, Beta 7 build 528286

The game is very careful in using the RAM (on my system it consumes 12GB at best, mostly less) which is theory great but... I have 26 GB to spare (32-2GB for shared VRAM - 2 for the all the bells & whisles of system & apps including awful Chrome-Steam instance).

Please get MORE! If the system allows (32 GB RAM is not really a great amount nowadays) maybe game should more freely grab and cache resources?
I have 128GB. No game uses what's there.
I'd bet that most games at least make some effort try to and efficiently use every bit of L3 cache on my cpu.

The primary bottlenecks are the single-threaded functions, limited L3 cache, slow cache/memory speed. For us, the primary thing we can do with their chosen design is get faster cache/memory so it's able to be accessed faster. Higher GHz help, but I've a feeling faster memory is more important. I don't know if I can what's best in a Vulkan game so can't prove that. The mention of faster memory was mentioned earlier when I asked if more GHz would help.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:48

Blitz4 wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:56
Just wait a while ;) They promised us once that 640MB will be enough for everybody (It's a long-bearded meme)

With that amount of RAM I'd just put the whole game on RAMdisk. Even with necessity of pretending to be a filesystem, RAM is still faster than any NVM/SSD.

I considered for a moment putting the autosaves on RAMdisk, though the implementation of trickling them back onto non-volatile memory discreetly in the backgroud without significant impact on the game would require for me a serious refreshment of C and systemd magic for which I have no time to spare, sadly.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 20:18

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:48
Just wait a while ;) They promised us once that 640MB will be enough for everybody (It's a long-bearded meme)
640KB. It was a long time back, when machines had a tenth of that sized memory. There was PLENTY of time to make a new OS that can handle more once the technology got there. But, well, DOS went and got super popular, and people started expecting their programs to keep working three, even four years after being written....
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 07:25

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:48
Blitz4 wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:56

With that amount of RAM I'd just put the whole game on RAMdisk. Even with necessity of pretending to be a filesystem, RAM is still faster than any NVM/SSD.

I considered for a moment putting the autosaves on RAMdisk, though the implementation of trickling them back onto non-volatile memory discreetly in the backgroud without significant impact on the game would require for me a serious refreshment of C and systemd magic for which I have no time to spare, sadly.
Good idea. I use ramdisk's in Linux but didn't imagine that was possible in Windows. To me it's only going to improve the speed of saving and loading as well as initially loading the game.

And the newer chipsets allow even more RAM.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Tue, 16. Apr 24, 20:10

ofc it is possible, I udes the RAMDisk in W98SE back in the happier days (happier because I was young, mostly ;) )

Though, while the W went through the long way since XP and in theory is quite acceptable now, the company made it not really usable and this creates performance deficiencies (because they absolutely need to sell you the candy-crush or smth), besides Win filesystem is still in the 'middle-ages', kinda so actually Win users should benefit more if you put aside the Win specific problems with RAM management (Candy Crush and stuff).

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 21:16

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Tue, 16. Apr 24, 20:10
ofc it is possible, I udes the RAMDisk in W98SE back in the happier days (happier because I was young, mostly ;) )

Though, while the W went through the long way since XP and in theory is quite acceptable now, the company made it not really usable and this creates performance deficiencies (because they absolutely need to sell you the candy-crush or smth), besides Win filesystem is still in the 'middle-ages', kinda so actually Win users should benefit more if you put aside the Win specific problems with RAM management (Candy Crush and stuff).
MS was going to release a block-level filesystem in Win10. Then again in Win11. They still can't do it.

Until that's done I wouldn't trust anything MS does regarding safeguarding my data. MS Backup has destroyed my data. MS Raid is a joke and should never be used, I even forget what it was called. MS OneDrive shouldn't be used as it creates a new Documents subdirectory and edits a registry entry to break apps & games that properly use the Documents directory. MS should talk to Oracle and buy and officially open source ZFS. Yea that's the dream. It'd allow so much. I tested a 10% reduction in performance in 2D games on a L1 ZFS VM and a 20% reduction in 3D games. The ability to create snapshots in a block-level filesystem is gonna blow people's minds. The ability to restore a previous state of the entire OS whenever they want if using windows as a VM on something like HyperV, might not mean much, but to the tinkerers out there it'd mean the world.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 21:18

Since this conversation now has nothing to do with the game, over to Off Topic it goes.

Return to “Off Topic English”