Cant get my M3+ to dock with my M7

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NZCrusader
x4

Cant get my M3+ to dock with my M7

Post by NZCrusader » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 09:56

I have an M3+ Eclipse , told it to dock with my M7 Cerberus , it flys to the system and then just sits there about 3-4 km from me and doesnt move, help please

edit 1: I was able to make it dock but i had to fly out to it in my space suit then take command of the eclipse and use auto dock to reenter the cerberus, still need help with telling it to remote dock to me though so i dont have to do this by hand each time

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Cant get my M3+ to dock with my M7

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 19:55

Sometimes just slightly moving or rotating the host carrier will unlock the docking ship's AI which is probably stuck in indecision as to which way is best to get to the docking approach point. It can happen a lot, especially if you have several fighters docking at a carrier at once. Its frequency of occurrence also varies depending upon the general directions of approach relative to the carrier's orientation.

I'll move this from Tech Sp to the X Trilogy Universe (gameplay) forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 20:28

Yeah, I agree with Alan--whenever I had a situation where I was piloting a carrier, and an AI ship was stuck attempting to dock at it, I would just strafe the carrier slightly in one direction or another and it generally fixed the issue. AFAIK, this only happens if you're flying the carrier yourself--I don't recall ever seeing it be a problem when both the carrier and the ship docking at it were under AI control.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 21:08

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 20:28
I don't recall ever seeing it be a problem when both the carrier and the ship docking at it were under AI control.
I have seen it, it's a special condition though. The Xenon Graveyard in Shady Business. In the event you bring an M2+ and a force of fighters and corvettes, the environment is so cluttered, they can't figure out how to dock. It's best to manually dock them yourself.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 21:54

pjknibbs wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing it be a problem when both the carrier and the ship docking at it were under AI control.
It happens, being in-sector is enough.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 04:38

its just one of those things where the AI couldn't decide to go left or right to enter landing path so it got stuck trying to dock. what i usually do is nudge the ship a bit by ordering it to idle for a second and then re-ordering it to dock.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 16:23

This has happened a number of times over the years, either when the AI can't decide how to best approach the carrier, or when the approach is partially obstructed. As said, moving or rotating the carrier even a little often solves the problem. In a worst case situation, I had to leave the sector and let the ships dock without me present (collision is disabled while OOS). The better solution, if you're not an enemy of the Paranid, is to pick up a Docking Computer software package, which allows instantaneous docking from anywhere within roughly 4 km.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 02:45

Honved wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 16:23
The better solution, if you're not an enemy of the Paranid, is to pick up a Docking Computer software package, which allows instantaneous docking from anywhere within roughly 4 km.
That only works if you're flying the ship into dock yourself--the AI does not use a docking computer.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 14:14

I find a small application of the Q or E key to roll the carrier also helps. Though if the ship in question is close and has a docking computer, you could always just transporter device over to it, and use the docking computer that way.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 20:45

pjknibbs wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Alan--whenever I had a situation where I was piloting a carrier, and an AI ship was stuck attempting to dock at it, I would just strafe the carrier slightly in one direction or another and it generally fixed the issue. AFAIK, this only happens if you're flying the carrier yourself--I don't recall ever seeing it be a problem when both the carrier and the ship docking at it were under AI control.
It is an interaction between the docking algorithm and the collision avoidance algorithm, so it can happen with both ships under AI control but only if you are in sector.

If the docking operation involves me directly then transporter device and docking computer are habitually in use. Transport self and docking computer to fighter, hit dock to be transported right back, transfer docking computer is a faster sequence than allowing the ship to dock even if it works.

If it's something where I want ship A to dock at ship B and I'm in ship C I generally try to leave the sector.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 21:41

@ Tim: "It is an interaction between the docking algorithm and the collision avoidance algorithm .. "

I don't think that it is *always* quite that simple. Sometimes the IS docking ship stops in indecision as to where to go next while still some significant distance from the carrier. Generally speaking, you just need to change the docking ship vs carrier dynamic in some way to get things moving again.

That said, docking computers or OOS docking rule OK! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 02:03

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 21:41
@ Tim: "It is an interaction between the docking algorithm and the collision avoidance algorithm .. "

I don't think that it is *always* quite that simple. Sometimes the IS docking ship stops in indecision as to where to go next while still some significant distance from the carrier. Generally speaking, you just need to change the docking ship vs carrier dynamic in some way to get things moving again.

That said, docking computers or OOS docking rule OK! :D
I work from "if going OOS prevents the problem, then collision avoidance is part of the problem." I can't always prove it, but it seems generally reasonable. :D
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”